To purchase new mavic pro now or after announcement
1257 19 2018-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lightmare8
lvl.1

United States

Hi Guys, new here. I was just wondering if I should buy a new DJI Mavic pro this Amazon Day (USA) or should I wait after DJI's announcement ? Thank you very much!
2018-7-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello, thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I highly suggest that you wait for our announcement and please stay tuned! Also check our online store occasionally and watch out for news!
2018-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I think it would be a close call, the Amazon day price I've seen suggested ($600) is almost a steal. No doubt the new Mavic 2 if that's what it is, will be some machine, but very likely at a premium price.
2018-7-11
Use props
lightmare8
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-11 14:52
Hello, thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I highly suggest that you wait for our announcement and please stay tuned! Also check our online store occasionally and watch out for news!

Thank you for your quick response
2018-7-11
Use props
lightmare8
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-11 15:03
I think it would be a close call, the Amazon day price I've seen suggested ($600) is almost a steal. No doubt the new Mavic 2 if that's what it is, will be some machine, but very likely at a premium price.

I know right! That's why it's gonna be a tough choice lol. So tempted to buy the mavic pro during Amazon day though!
2018-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

lightmare8 Posted at 2018-7-11 15:13
I know right! That's why it's gonna be a tough choice lol. So tempted to buy the mavic pro during Amazon day though!

Well if there is a new model coming then surely the price will drop on the Mavic Pro to clear the shelves, maybe not as much, but perhaps worth the gamble.
2018-7-11
Use props
lightmare8
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-11 15:19
Well if there is a new model coming then surely the price will drop on the Mavic Pro to clear the shelves, maybe not as much, but perhaps worth the gamble.

Also there's not really any backwards compatibility type of thing with the mavic series so don't know if it's worth buying the mavic pro just because of the sharp discounts. Tough call indeed. Worth the gamble though? IDK. What do you think?
2018-7-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

lightmare8 Posted at 2018-7-11 15:45
Also there's not really any backwards compatibility type of thing with the mavic series so don't know if it's worth buying the mavic pro just because of the sharp discounts. Tough call indeed. Worth the gamble though? IDK. What do you think?

Mavic Pro is a great price, a great aircraft backward avoidance is a bit novel, it shouldn’t be a deal breaker because it’s not worth it for such a good deal.

However M2 will have all the latest tech a much improved camera, more safety features, probably more flight time, but this will come at a price.

If you think you might suffer buyers remorse, I would wait. Buy a spark while waiting, now that’s a great little machine. A real pocket rocket.

Sorry if I have just confused you more.
2018-7-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Definitely wait           
2018-7-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I ended up buying another MP instead of waiting for the new Mavic to launch, the prices it is now is incredible.
2018-7-12
Use props
lightmare8
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the comments and inputs! Tempting as it may be but I'm also leaning towards waiting. It just so happens that Amazon will have discounts on the drones which made me wanting to know more. But that new drone is going to be super expensive though haha, better keep saving up for it now
2018-7-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If only we knew what date 'it' will be announced.....
But should be any time soon I guess

And now for my strategy:
I just purchased a MP and use that to:
- Learn how to fly
- Learn if this drone thing is worth the money for me
- Have a lot of fun in the process

By the time MP2 is on the market, it will be rather expensive and stay like that for at least a couple of months.
Maybe even longer.
After that, the first bugs should be gone and the price will drop a little.
If you know by then that a 'drone' is worth it, you can always decide if MP2 is enough to upgrade and sell the old MP (or keep it as backup).

It is a 'cheap' entry into a rather expensive world
2018-7-12
Use props
lightmare8
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-12 05:17
If only we knew what date 'it' will be announced.....
But should be any time soon I guess

sounds like a good strategy! I was also thinking that, but consider the price I'll really need to think if I have extra cash for it, or if I really need two drones. That being said, in comparison, I'm more leaning towards buying a MA rather than a MP. So in my opinion MP2 > MP, but right now for me MA>MP.
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lightmare8 Posted at 2018-7-12 04:36
Thanks for all the comments and inputs! Tempting as it may be but I'm also leaning towards waiting. It just so happens that Amazon will have discounts on the drones which made me wanting to know more. But that new drone is going to be super expensive though haha, better keep saving up for it now

Good idea - even if you wait you'll see bigger discounts on the MP too
2018-7-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

lightmare8 Posted at 2018-7-12 05:33
sounds like a good strategy! I was also thinking that, but consider the price I'll really need to think if I have extra cash for it, or if I really need two drones. That being said, in comparison, I'm more leaning towards buying a MA rather than a MP. So in my opinion MP2 > MP, but right now for me MA>MP.

For me the MP was a more logical choice.
Why?
- Longer flight time
- More settings / flight modes to play with
- (much) better range / videofeed stability
- Better camera (some argue about this, but from what I have seen online the lens / camera is a bit better on the MP)
- Smaller field of view (so I can keep more distance and still get a nice shot)
- Looks like the MP has a bit more redundancy in sensors and is less flying away.
- I bought it second hand, so it was rather cheap.

What I do miss (compared to MA):
- Gimbal design on the MA is better
- 100MB/s bitrate (although I have only shot 1080 so far, so I have not needed that)
- MA is a little smaller (only a little when folded)
2018-7-12
Use props
PetLabarak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65512 ft
Canada

hi, if DJI announce a Mavic pro 2 ... do you feel comfortable to buy the first unit with the first firmware (with there first batch of bug) ?
If i was ready to buy a new drone, i would buy a drone with a certain maturity.
my opinion
2018-7-12
Use props
lightmare8
lvl.1

United States

Yeah these are definitely somethings to consider when purchasing tech. I definitely will keep that in mind. I did some digging before and I felt the MA might suit me better than the MP, Though MA doesn't have OCUSYNC, but I think if I'm just doing somethings trivial and nothing too dramatic and fly in good weather conditions I think I'll be fine, and by the time I'm familiar with DJI drones MP2 should be matured, I think I'll consider upgrading to the MP2 then. In the mean time just play around with the MA.
2018-7-12
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-11 15:03

$600 is Far from a steal considering a New Mavic Air was $600 on ebay just a few days ago. the air has a better camera!
2018-7-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 2018-7-12 12:05
$600 is Far from a steal considering a New Mavic Air was $600 on ebay just a few days ago. the air has a better camera!

Given that they are on sale in UK at £899 (1.32x899=  $1186 US), and DJI site they retail at $999 US. The eBay variety would likely have no warranty cover from DJI.

I'm not aware that the camera on the Air is better than that on the Mavic Pro other than potential to save at a higher variable bit rate. The Mavic Pro has the faster lens (f2.2), and in all other respects I believe the Mavic Pro is the better machine with longer flight times and range, Ocusync transmission that integrates wirelessly with the Goggles which have numerous functional controls available. Goggles integrate with Mavic Pro function joystick on RC, for Goggles menu control. The Mavic Pro has more intelligent flight modes available.  And the Mavic Pro is a mature product with solid firmware.

Oh and dual Goggle and Controller support on Pro...I think I've got most there :-)

And the Mavic Pro is quieter than the Air........That should be it now :-))
2018-7-12
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-12 12:45
Given that they are on sale in UK at £899 (1.32x899=  $1186 US), and DJI site they retail at $999 US. The eBay variety would likely have no warranty cover from DJI.

I'm not aware that the camera on the Air is better than that on the Mavic Pro other than potential to save at a higher variable bit rate. The Mavic Pro has the faster lens (f2.2), and in all other respects I believe the Mavic Pro is the better machine with longer flight times and range, Ocusync transmission that integrates wirelessly with the Goggles which have numerous functional controls available. Goggles integrate with Mavic Pro function joystick on RC, for Goggles menu control. The Mavic Pro has more intelligent flight modes available.  And the Mavic Pro is a mature product with solid firmware.

I agree with most of what you just said. this is why I didn't by the Air at $600. noisy and reduced range.
2018-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules