319 4 2018-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Emma Louise
New

Australia

Hi everyone

I have lately been having trouble flying my drone
A few times lately I will launch it and it takes off fine, and then about 5 minutes into flying it says Disconnected . I am in Australia and connect my phone to th controller. I hav Virgin Mobile 4G coverage. Why is this happening ?
Prior to having the DJI Mavic , I owned the Phantom Standard- where I just connected with wifi and never had any issues with it
I get anxious when this message starts flashing and beeping because it’s usually out a few hundred meters over the ocean and I worry it won’t come back and sometimes I lose control over bringing it back

Also, I am heading to Europe in 2 weeks, and I am taking my drone. I will be using an English 3 mobile simcard that allows me to use my phone in multiple countries across Europe. My concern is how am I going to be able to fly my drone if there is no service in the area , or if my sim doesn’t work in that area, am I able to fly via wifi ?

I’m sure these are probably dumb/obvious questions but I would really appreciate some help to get the most out of the drone

Thanks
2018-7-11
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Do you have a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro?  Either one you do not require service in fact it is recommended to put in Airplane Mode to turn off WiFi to keep your phone from interfering with your Remote Controler.  Perhaps that is what is going on is your device is interfering with your remote.  Turn off service/wifi and see if you get disconnects like you have been.  Your controller is the one that connects to the craft via OcuSync if with Mavic Pro or WiFi if with Mavic Air.  Your device talks to the controller via the cable so no wifi or service needed.
2018-7-11
Use props
Emma Louise
New

Australia

Thanks heaps I I’ll definitely try that !
It’s a mavic pro
So should I be turning off wifi/ going on aero plane mode and also turning off cellular data??
2018-7-11
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Emma Louise Posted at 2018-7-11 18:30
Thanks heaps I I’ll definitely try that !
It’s a mavic pro
So should I be turning off wifi/ going on aero plane mode and also turning off cellular data??

Yes without a doubt the only reason you EVER need gps from your phone is if you do follow me mode.  Other than that there is absolutely no reason to have cellular/wifi on at all.  If you need the map data that your connection would give then just open the app and then map ahead of time at the are you will fly then it will just use the cached map so no reason to have even for maps.  I use to get disconnects at times when I would leave mine on so now I just always put in Airplane mode and I never ever get a single disconnect from device to controller.  
2018-7-11
Use props
Emma Louise
New

Perfect thanks you so much !! I’m going to try this today !
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules