Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RONIN-S + GH5-S + FOCUS WHEEL
17754 13 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
astudios
lvl.1
United States

Hello,

I have a GH5-S and the RONIN-S .. but I cannot seem to get the FOCUS WHEEL to work at all. The shutter button works but not the focus. I have updated the firmware on both the RONIN-S and the GH5-S to their latest. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the focus wheel on the RONIN-S to work with the GH5-S?

Thank you!

2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, please kindly refer to the screenshot below or this link and check the camera setup. Please keep us updated if the issue persists. cam setup.png
2018-7-12
Use props
astudios
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the reply, HOWEVER, the GH5-S doesn't have a v2.2 firmware. That's for the GH5 (not the GH5-S). The highest firmware for the GH5-S is 1.1 .. you can see it here:

https://www.panasonic.com/global ... /gh5s_firmware.html

I do have that firmware installed.

Any other ideas please?

Thank you!
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

astudios Posted at 2018-7-12 06:27
Thank you for the reply, HOWEVER, the GH5-S doesn't have a v2.2 firmware. That's for the GH5 (not the GH5-S). The highest firmware for the GH5-S is 1.1 .. you can see it here:

https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/gh5s_firmware.html

Sorry for the misleading by the list, you are right, the latest firmware of GH5S is V1.1, pulling focus is not available in VFR mode, please refer to Thor's post and make sure the settings are correct.
2018-7-13
Use props
astudios
lvl.1
United States

Hello again,

I have followed the instructions from Thor's post exactly, namely:

1. Choose (PC) tether mode
2. Set the focus mode to MANUAL FOCUS (on the camera + on the lens)

But still, nothing. The FOCUS WHEEL is what I'm trying to get to work. The shutter button works just fine. Incidentally, there is a little red light that is blinking on the FOCUS WHEEL itself. Does that mean the FOCUS is not connected somehow?

I would really appreciate some guidance here. I'm sure it's something simple.

Thank you.
2018-7-13
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft

astudios Posted at 2018-7-13 03:20
Hello again,

I have followed the instructions from Thor's post exactly, namely:

You're not really presenting enough information, are you using manual or electronic lenses? native MFT lenses, or through a speedbooster? If they are native, what brand? what focal length? are they set to AF/MF? When the GH5s is plugged into the Ronin-S can you still use autofocus through the camera?

I use the GH5s with the Ronin-S and have been able to pull focus, without issue, using the Olympus 12mm, 25mm, and the 7-14mm. Additionally, I've had no issue pulling focus with the DJI 15mm that came with the Zenmuse X5 on the GH5s. Admittedly, I don't own or use speed-boosters so I cannot comment directly, but I have heard it functions with some electronic lenses in conjunction with some speed-boosters.

The only time I've experienced the focus module on the Ronin-S blinking red, as you described, is when the cable is plugged into the GH5s but the camera is off.

It's hard to comment on what the issue might be without knowing more about your setup.
2018-7-13
Use props
Sudsym
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154751 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

New to this, so this may be a stupid answer, but I found that I had the connector on the control cable fitted to the camera the wrong way up, as it clicks in either way.  When I disconnected the cable and turned it round, and re-fitted it to the camera, the red light on the focus wheel turned to green.
2018-7-16
Use props
astudios
lvl.1
United States

bob_angie Posted at 2018-7-13 04:44
You're not really presenting enough information, are you using manual or electronic lenses? native MFT lenses, or through a speedbooster? If they are native, what brand? what focal length? are they set to AF/MF? When the GH5s is plugged into the Ronin-S can you still use autofocus through the camera?

I use the GH5s with the Ronin-S and have been able to pull focus, without issue, using the Olympus 12mm, 25mm, and the 7-14mm. Additionally, I've had no issue pulling focus with the DJI 15mm that came with the Zenmuse X5 on the GH5s. Admittedly, I don't own or use speed-boosters so I cannot comment directly, but I have heard it functions with some electronic lenses in conjunction with some speed-boosters.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for not giving more information. THIS is the camera + lens that I have purchased from B&H Photo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... rrorless_micro.html

Does that help?

I have everything set to Manual .. MF on the lens itself, as well as the switch to MF on the camera body. Also, I have Continuous AF turned OFF (and tried ON) ..

Nothing seems to make that focus wheel turn GREEN. (And "Sudsym" .. I even tried flipping the cable around so up/down).

Really appreciate any help here. I wonder if I need to "reset the camera" to its factory settings?

Thanks.
2018-7-16
Use props
Bryan Lee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1498163 ft
Singapore

HI,

I am experiencing the same thing with my GH5S. I cannot pull focus with the Ronin S connected to my GH5S. I have a GH5 too and it works flawlessly with the Ronin S. When the cable is connected to the GH5 the menu to select USB pops up, but when the cable is connected to the GH5S nothing pops up. Any ideas why?
2018-7-19
Use props
Picolo
lvl.2

Ukraine

bob_angie Posted at 2018-7-13 04:44

I use the GH5s with the Ronin-S and have been able to pull focus, without issue, using the Olympus 12mm, 25mm, and the 7-14mm. Additionally, I've had no issue pulling focus with the DJI 15mm that came with the Zenmuse X5 on the GH5s. Admittedly, I don't own or use speed-boosters so I cannot comment directly, but I have heard it functions with some electronic lenses in conjunction with some speed-boosters.

Sorry for offtopic, but have you tried another lenses not in supported list? Looks like it should work with all MFT electronic AF lenses, m?
2018-8-24
Use props
Alexander Mitchell
New

Australia

Is there any chance of getting Linear focus control with native m4/3 lenses on the GH5/s and Ronin-S?  Currently there is no linear focus-pulling, as its the same slow turn = slow rack, fast turn = fast rack focus.

Would this be a Panasonic GH5 issue?  I really like using Panasonic / Olympus glass, but not having linear focus control makes reliable and repeatable focus pulling impossible.
2018-9-16
Use props
fansfaebee50
New

Jamaica

Sudsym Posted at 7-16 05:08
Hi,

New to this, so this may be a stupid answer, but I found that I had the connector on the control cable fitted to the camera the wrong way up, as it clicks in either way.  When I disconnected the cable and turned it round, and re-fitted it to the camera, the red light on the focus wheel turned to green.

This fixed it for me!! Thanks!!
2018-12-16
Use props
rigo-dritto
lvl.1

Italy

it works with viltrox ef-m2 adapter??
2018-12-19
Use props
djiuser_3Gx4RKYnOY0W
New

France

Hello I have the Ronin SC with the Focus Wheel. I have a GH5 and a GH5s. I have a 35-100 F2.8 and a 14-140 F.3.5 and I can not connect the Ronin SC with the boxes to use the Focus Wheel. Would someone have a solution? Thank you
2019-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules