Panorama - Spark vs Mavic Air
1193 6 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LadyDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5131 ft
United States

I really like the Panorama options on the spark - but I am currious how the ones on the Mavic Air are Different.  For instance I know the Spark takes 46 pictures for a 360 and 21 for a 180 but seems like I read the Air takes a lot fewer pictures to get a 360 and 180, so are the stitched images the same size?  Also is it true that Air does stitching in Drone vs on your phone or computer?  Also are there any other DJI drones with automatic Panorama modes I should consider?  

The Reason I ask - is I am considering getting a Mavic Air - but I am mostly into the photoghraphy side - flying camera vs Video - so curious if the Air adds much when it comes to that area.  If not pretty happy with Spark so far so no need to upgrade if I do not gain that much or anything.  
2018-7-12
Use props
munchausen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 890217 ft

Hardware-wise the camera is exactly the same (well, almost), same size and resolution, about the same aperture. What you can gain from Mavic Air is that it can grab raw images, so your final panorama has much more detail to work with.
I personally would never stitch anything in drone or mobile anyway, best to create panoramas on computer. Also the individual photos might be useful otherwise.
Only to make panoramas however I wouldn't upgrade, I think Spark is decent already in that regard.
Maybe you should ask a set of original raw pano images from someone who has a Mavic Air, and see what you can make out of it, is it better or about the same?
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate your interest to the Mavic Air and apologize as well if you are having issues with the Spark. For a better understanding please check the link below for more information. Thank you.

Mavic Air vs Spark
2018-7-12
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I also had an Air, and used the Pano mode a few times.
- The Air is a lot faster in taking panos than Spark!
- I do not like to do any post-processing and liked the onboard stitching, and the result was not too bad at all. So raw was not an advantage to me.

Keep in mind the Photo quality itself on Spark is at least as good as the Air, so if you can live with slower speed + lack of Raw the Spark should do fine.
2018-7-12
Use props
LadyDrone
lvl.2
United States

munchausen Posted at 2018-7-12 04:10
Hardware-wise the camera is exactly the same (well, almost), same size and resolution, about the same aperture. What you can gain from Mavic Air is that it can grab raw images, so your final panorama has much more detail to work with.
I personally would never stitch anything in drone or mobile anyway, best to create panoramas on computer. Also the individual photos might be useful otherwise.
Only to make panoramas however I wouldn't upgrade, I think Spark is decent already in that regard.

Yes samples of Mavic Air Pano would be great - The cameras are very close - I wonder why the Spark takes so many more pictures - in theory more pictures = more detail.  
2018-7-12
Use props
LadyDrone
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-12 04:26
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate your interest to the Mavic Air and apologize as well if you are having issues with the Spark. For a better understanding please check the link below for more information. Thank you.

Mavic Air vs Spark

Gamora - Never said I had issues with Spark - like it and the Pano - still learning how to get the most out of it - but very happy just wondering about how many images Air Takes to make a Pano and what the resulting resolution of each image is compared to spark.  
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The MA does 32mp spheres and auto stitches the panos
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now