Ronin-S vs. Zhiyun Crane 2
9839 7 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ricardo C.
lvl.1

United States

Hello DJI squad,

Context: I'm looking for some advice. I've recently started a production company and will be filming weddings and commercial work as well as making youtube videos about tech/starting a business/vlogs.

I have pre-ordered the Ronin-S on B&H Photo and DJI.com and hopefully will get one before the end of July. I also purchased a Zhiyun Crane 2 (with free Servo Follo Focus) for $599 as it recently had a wonderful price drop, probably due to competition from DJI.

My setup now is multiple Panasonic Lumix G7. The camera DOES NOT have in body OIS but my lenses do. It will probably be a while until I upgrade to a couple of Lumix GH5 so the Ronin-S will not be fully compatible with my current setup. The Crane 2 isn't fully compatible by itself but now they include the Servo Follow Focus for FREE ($129) so I can finally use Follow Focus with my setup.

Question: For anyone that has experience with both of these two gimbals, do you think the Ronin-S offers enough advantages that I should return the Crane 2 once I get my Ronin-S and forgo the Follow Focus capability for right now (since in the future it will work natively with the Lumix GH5) ?

Thanks for anyone's input/advice/opinions!

-Ricardo C.
StoryTime-Productions.com
2018-7-12
Use props
BearPhoto
lvl.2

United States

Crane 3 is coming out to market soon as Zhiyun hinted that. I think they may announce Crane 3 towards Aug IFA . The problem for me with Zhiyun products is their app for android is terrible. Thats why im considering the DJI Ronin S . However there is a huge cost difference between the two products in terms of accessories and etc.
2018-7-12
Use props
Ricardo C.
lvl.1

United States

BearPhoto Posted at 2018-7-12 09:31
Crane 3 is coming out to market soon as Zhiyun hinted that. I think they may announce Crane 3 towards Aug IFA . The problem for me with Zhiyun products is their app for android is terrible. Thats why im considering the DJI Ronin S . However there is a huge cost difference between the two products in terms of accessories and etc.

Do you know what features the crane 3 will supposedly have?
2018-7-12
Use props
BearPhoto
lvl.2

United States

Zhiyun Youtube comment
"The decision of free follow focus bundled with Crane 2 purchase starts from May 10th, 2018, if you bought the free follow focus before that date, please contact the after-sales people or the sales to see if they can give you some compensation. ^_^ Plus for example if new iphone is coming out, the elder iphone will immediately lower the price, which is the same for Crane 2 as Crane 3 will come to the market soon."
Saw this on their youtube channel.
2018-7-12
Use props
BearPhoto
lvl.2

United States

I'm looking forward to buying the DJI Ronin S because of the APP support for androids and the crane not blocking the back view of the camera.

Side question do you know if the Ronin S support full 360 panoramic pictures like Google street view? I saw you can set the Camera to take 360 but not sure if that is 360 spherical
2018-7-12
Use props
curtismyhero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47667 ft
United States

BearPhoto Posted at 2018-7-12 10:43
I'm looking forward to buying the DJI Ronin S because of the APP support for androids and the crane not blocking the back view of the camera.

Side question do you know if the Ronin S support full 360 panoramic pictures like Google street view? I saw you can set the Camera to take 360 but not sure if that is 360 spherical

The DJI is a 360 spin, but you can set panorama points to take pictures at key frames, and control it to rotate 360 degrees.  From here, you'll need to use whatever your editing program is to stitch the images into a 360 spherical manner.  Hope this helps!
2018-7-12
Use props
BearPhoto
lvl.2

United States

thanks for your help! yea cant wait for the ronin to be in stock to be able to do that. I dont think the zhiyun crane 2 can
2018-7-12
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft

It's good that you're reaching out for advice, but you're not really asking the right questions. Long story short, there is no "right" gimbal, or "perfect gimbal" once size NEVER fits all in the film industry and every job requires different tools. The real question you need to ask yourself is, "what kind of content you want to create?" and go out there and start creating it. The best way to learn about gear is by being out in the field and using it, you'll learn very quickly about what you like and dislike.

That being said, My advice about the gimbal, go with the Zhiyun crane 2, not because it's better, not because I like it more, in fact, I own and use the Ronin-S but because it seems like you're new to the whole gimbal game and right now, the Zhiyun crane 2 is the more developed product.

You can fully kit out and design the rig the suits you best RIGHT NOW with crane 2 system, and better than that, you can get experience using 3-axis gimbals in a working environment honing your craft and skill. You can't really do that with the Ronin-s right now, while accessories and new features are on the way, with no release dates and slow shipping times, I cannot recommend the Ronin-S to first time users. It really only makes sense for working professionals who are used to kitting out rigs and have a lot of experience using stabilizers in a working environment, we knew what we were going to do with the Ronin-s the day it was announced at NAB.

The great thing is, after going out and honing your skill and working paid gigs with the crane 2, DJI should be all caught up on releasing the Ronin-s and accessories and you'll be ready and feel confident for the upgrade.

If I were you, I'd be more focused on the camera system and lenses you intend to grow into, that's a much more serious issue that will affect what and how you create content for years. if you go with the GH5 like you said, are you going to use native MFT lenses or are you going to use speedboosters? and if so, canon glass, nikon glass, sony glass? Are you intending to use electronic lenses and rely on autofocus, or use manual lenses and intend to pull focus manually? slapping a rubber gear on an electronic lens and using a motor is nothing like using a true manual cine-lens. There're so many factors that can contribute to what gear you need and for what situations and there is no "right answer" it's about finding the best tools that work for YOU because at the end of the day, you're the person that has to operate it and it's your content.

just some food for thought, I wish you well, it's a perilous journey you've just started but it's a hell of a good time.
2018-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules