842 2 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

So today I was flying in class G airspace in VT.  The entire area was class E above 700ft.   I stayed well under 400ft per FAA rules.   However, DJI Go kept giving me Class E airspace warnings - first 'approaching', then actually 'in' when I went towards a particular area.   I checked Airmap, the actual VFR Sectionals and DJI's Fly Safe GEO db, and NOWHERE do I see Class E airspace below 700 ft.  Airmap and DJI Fly Safe show the area as totally clear.   I only know the area was Class E above 700ft because I checked the sectionals before flying.

Is this normal?   Or is DJI Go 4 screwed up?   I could assume it was a warning about the area above 700ft, but if that was the case, the warning should have said 'in' for the whole time - not 'approaching' then 'in'.

Any thoughts? DJI?  Bug maybe?

LP
2018-7-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Vermont is fairly mountainous, isn't it?  Can you tell us where this occurred?  What airport were you near?  
2018-7-19
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes - great point.   I was at Waterbury Reservoir - which has an MSL of about 590ft.   That would mean that I was approaching 700ft *MSL* (and crossed it) - but since Class E is 700ft AGL, I didn't give it a second thought.  I wonder if the DJI Go app wasn't accounting for this.    The EDGE of the nearest Class E surface area was about 5 miles away.

LP

2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules