Low Battery Warning question
2429 7 2018-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxxx
lvl.1
United States

I did a search but didn't find the answer to my question so hoping to get some help here. I changed the default low battery warning on my drone to 20% assuming I would get a warning when it hit the 20%. Now keep in mind I'm using a controller and iphone 6 to control the drone. Another factor could be that when I was young I was a number one man on a 155 Howitzer if you know anyone knows what that is. Meaning my ears aren't what they could be had I not fired at least a thousand rounds out of the Howitzer. With that said I only have about two hours total flight time but all done very low and close to me, never anything near out of sight. The other night while taking my dog for a walk I had the drone taking video of the dog while walking and apparently hit the 20% low power when the drone was under a tree. I had no idea I would lose control and the drone would try to fly up on it's RTH course. Needless to say it flew into the tree twice and would impact, stop the blades and it would start to fall. On the second drop I was able to catch the drone (suffering only a minor cut) and shut the drone down. I wasn't sure what had happened as I never got a low battery warning that I heard or detected. It wasn't until I reviewed the flight log that I could see the message that at 20% it shows in bold "The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now." Then on the log it shows about 9 seconds later the message "Low Power. Aircraft is returning to the Home Point." .

Now my question is can you set a warning that is visual on the screen as it may have made an audio noise but I honestly couldn't say as nothing was heard? Is there a way to display remianing voltage larger to make it more noticable?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Max
2018-7-13
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

Keep it as default at 30%. The only warning you will receive at 30% is a red banner across the top. Used to be an audio but no more. When you reach 20% at that point, it will RTH automatically with an announcement "go home". If you reach 10% by aborting the RTH, it will land at 10% with only being able to control position and rate of descent. But you cannot abort the landing. So by switching the 30% to 20%, you compress all of that time for a safe RTL. Essentially skipping the warning and going straight to RTL and quickly landing. And Semper Fi !
2018-7-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-13 07:26
Keep it as default at 30%. The only warning you will receive at 30% is a red banner across the top. Used to be an audio but no more. When you reach 20% at that point, it will RTH automatically with an announcement "go home". If you reach 10% by aborting the RTH, it will land at 10% with only being able to control position and rate of descent. But you cannot abort the landing. So by switching the 30% to 20%, you compress all of that time for a safe RTL. Essentially skipping the warning and going straight to RTL and quickly landing. And Semper Fi !

Hi pmshop,

Minor addition to your post ; at 10% autolanding you can stop the rate of descent (and fly fwd/aft/l/r), even possible to fly upwards. But CX autolanding not possible as you said.

cheers
JJB
2018-7-13
Use props
Maxxx
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the responses. I guess the biggest surprise was the loss of control as it got the RTH command. Live and learn I guess. All in all I am so amazed by what this can do for such a small cost.
2018-7-13
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-13 07:39
Hi pmshop,

Minor addition to your post ; at 10% autolanding you can stop the rate of descent (and fly fwd/aft/l/r), even possible to fly upwards. But CX autolanding not possible as you said.

I have not seen upwards with landing mode, just able to slow the descent.
I'll pay more attention if I see it again.
I like to keep my batteries serviceable as long as possible

And BTW Maxxx, that is the key.
The longer you run that battery under 20% the more damage you do to it - shorten the life span.
2018-7-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-13 07:52
I have not seen upwards with landing mode, just able to slow the descent.
I'll pay more attention if I see it again.
I like to keep my batteries serviceable as long as possible

haha, me too   normally land between 30 and 10%. (10% when i am playing low alt near hp)

But i did try the keep on flying to zero batt %, just pull up and it stays in the air...and below %...

cheers
JJB
2018-7-13
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Maxxx Posted at 2018-7-13 07:48
Thanks for the responses. I guess the biggest surprise was the loss of control as it got the RTH command. Live and learn I guess. All in all I am so amazed by what this can do for such a small cost.

Maxxx,

You could have aborted RTH by hitting Cancel button. If you had done that, you would have been able to control your drone normally (without risking your minor cuts :-)). Until the battery level got to critical and than it would initiate auto-landing.

Mirek
2018-7-16
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft

Mine is set at 25%.
It does not automatically return to home at this low battery warning. It displays a red banner on the top screen. And the rear lights turn from steady green to flashing red.
It will automatically RTH when the battery level reaches the Home point mark. In this case you you hear a voice and a box pops up. You have 10 seconds to cancel (or not) the RTH procedure.
2018-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules