Horrible connection to drone. and RTH doesn't work.
628 8 2018-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans36bd112f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 453 ft
United States

Hello,

I just got the spark, it is cool, but I so far have just went up and down, maybe left and right a bit, all with in about 90 feet vertical, and about 12 feet horisontal.  I am just starting off slow!

I also have the the Remote Control.

When I do this simple flight, two bad things happen.
1. I loose connection to the drone from my phone (via wifi on the device), I would assume the remote also looses connection too.
2. When I do get a connection, I hit the RTH, but it just lands where it is at now, maybe 10 feet away sometimes.  I did activate and set the RTH.

What am I doing wrong, what can I do better?  I tried both an iPhone and a Samsung phone.

Please help!
2018-7-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Read the manual regarding RTH... If the drone is within a certain distance of you,it will just land where it is... it only comes back to the home point if it was far away.... you say you were flying only  12 feet away.. that is normal for it to just land where it is.
2018-7-13
Use props
fans36bd112f
lvl.1
United States

LouisP Posted at 2018-7-13 12:34
Read the manual regarding RTH... If the drone is within a certain distance of you,it will just land where it is... it only comes back to the home point if it was far away.... you say you were flying only  12 feet away.. that is normal for it to just land where it is.

Wow, that makes sense.
What about the connection issues?
2018-7-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

If you are 12 horizontal and 90 vertical, you are flying almost directly above you.  The RC antennas need to be perpendicular to the drone...a line from the drone to each antenna should be perpendicular to a line running the length of the antenna...often when flying directly above, the antennas are point directly at the drone versus perpendicular (if you are looking down at the screen, holding the phone in front of you)...this is not optimal and may cause connection issues.
2018-7-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans36bd112f Posted at 2018-7-13 12:49
Wow, that makes sense.
What about the connection issues?

Hi. Sorry for the trouble. May I ask if you are getting a no signal error or disconnected error message on the app? Please kindly send us a screenshot of it so we can check. Also, can you try to re-link your remote controller to your aircraft?  Please Kindly follow the video tutorial below.

2018-7-13
Use props
fans36bd112f
lvl.1
United States

All,

I just took off again, and it all seemed to work.  I used the Android, and made sure the antennas were not an issue.  I also made sure to customize the wifi and choose a network band that was not being used and I think this was the key.

This weekend I will be doing more than just vertical movements, I don't trust myself with RTH yet, so I'll try it tomorrow in a field somewhere.

Also, I feel this was better with the android then the ios, so I will dedicate the android to this.

Thanks!
2018-7-13
Use props
fans36bd112f
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-13 13:19
Hi. Sorry for the trouble. May I ask if you are getting a no signal error or disconnected error message on the app? Please kindly send us a screenshot of it so we can check. Also, can you try to re-link your remote controller to your aircraft?  Please Kindly follow the video tutorial below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOi9WiS-PF8

Note: I initially tried this video, but it seems out of date, when I click on the remote connected, I instead get my profile.
2018-7-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

fans36bd112f Posted at 2018-7-13 14:47
All,

I just took off again, and it all seemed to work.  I used the Android, and made sure the antennas were not an issue.  I also made sure to customize the wifi and choose a network band that was not being used and I think this was the key.

I have had my spark a year and I think I have used RTH maybe twice.    Learn how it works, but don't depend on it.
2018-7-13
Use props
fans36bd112f
lvl.1
United States

LouisP Posted at 2018-7-13 18:31
I have had my spark a year and I think I have used RTH maybe twice.    Learn how it works, but don't depend on it.

Why don't you trust it?  
2018-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules