Compass Calibration Error - Magnetic
16659 32 2018-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36512 ft
Brazil

Hey guys. A few months back my previous Spark fell into the sea due to an error. DJI sent me a new one.

Problem is I can't seem to make a succesful compass calibration in this one, as I always get an error saying there's strong magnetic field. I did try in a number of different locations, but it's always the same.

I wonder if the new drone has any kind of problems and what I can do to verify.

Thanks,
2018-7-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry for the trouble. May I know if your wearing any accessories that has metal on it? Please remove your keys, watch, metal frame glasses, coins, etc. Then move away from any metal objects like cars, and then do the calibration.  Let me know if the problem is still the same.
2018-7-14
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Here is a Good Tutorial how to Calibrate The Compass -

2018-7-14
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Is your belt buckle magnetic?  Or a Fitbit on your arm?  Or your car?  Or a magnetic case on the phone?  A calibration just shows the drone what the range of outputs the solid state compass will give, for a full 360 turn, in earth's magnetic field at your location.  
2018-7-14
Use props
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Brazil

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-14 06:53
Sorry for the trouble. May I know if your wearing any accessories that has metal on it? Please remove your keys, watch, metal frame glasses, coins, etc. Then move away from any metal objects like cars, and then do the calibration.  Let me know if the problem is still the same.

I tried in multiple occasions. Last time I tried I did it with and without my phone on me and not wearing any metal objects in the middle of a grass field, same result. With my previous drone I had no problems doing the calibration, even at home.
2018-7-16
Use props
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Brazil

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-14 07:01
Here is a Good Tutorial how to Calibrate The Compass -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfvQBvjCfys

Thanks. I think i'm doing it correctly. The sensor shows good to regular, but still shows errors when I try to calibrate.
2018-7-16
Use props
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Brazil

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-14 07:47
Is your belt buckle magnetic?  Or a Fitbit on your arm?  Or your car?  Or a magnetic case on the phone?  A calibration just shows the drone what the range of outputs the solid state compass will give, for a full 360 turn, in earth's magnetic field at your location.

Not really, last time I did it in the middle of a field with no objects around.
2018-7-16
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

gabrielsturmer Posted at 2018-7-16 06:11

Gabriel,

As Gunship and DJI Paladin pointed out, you should be free of any objects which could interfere with calibration - iWatch, any steel on you etc.

You should also calibrate Spark while your mobile is at least a meter away.

I also noticed that your firmware status shows abnormal. Reset your Spark to factory defaults and re-install newest firmware.

If you met all these requirements and DJI GO still shows errors during calibration, open the case with DJI. You need replacement. Do not fly your drone or you may lose it.

Mirek
2018-7-16
Use props
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Brazil

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-16 08:01
Gabriel,

As Gunship and DJI Paladin pointed out, you should be free of any objects which could interfere with calibration - iWatch, any steel on you etc.

I check all the boxes. No metal, no watch, no metal structures around, grass field, no belt buckle and I was watching my phone from about 3 meters away.

Also, my firmware is ok, the video is from someone else.

Thanks though!
2018-7-16
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

gabrielsturmer Posted at 2018-7-16 08:23
I check all the boxes. No metal, no watch, no metal structures around, grass field, no belt buckle and I was watching my phone from about 3 meters away.

Also, my firmware is ok, the video is from someone else.

OK, understood.

Here is what I would do.

Even if your firmware is OK but Spark shows this abnormal behaviour, I would reset Spark to factory settings and re-install firmware. After that I would try and calibrate compass one last time.

I have seen cases where really weird behaviour was fixed by resetting Spark and re-installing firmware. I know that it does sound like magic, but this is a very complex piece of technology and software and things may, and do, get mangled. It's the same as with your PC - if something does not work - reboot. If reboot does not work - reinstall. If reinstall does not work - cry for help :-).

Of course, I cannot guarantee that it will help. But it may.

If this fails and you still have a problem, open the case with DJI and request Spark replacement.
At least you will be convinced yourself that you did everything you possibly could.

Good luck and let us know.

Mirek
2018-7-16
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

gabrielsturmer Posted at 2018-7-16 06:10
Thanks. I think i'm doing it correctly. The sensor shows good to regular, but still shows errors when I try to calibrate.

If you still having faults, contact DJI Support Gabriel.
2018-7-16
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

gabrielsturmer Posted at 2018-7-16 06:11

It could be the compass if you eliminate every thing else that is an easy fix.  The compass is solid state with no moving parts but could be manufactured wrong or connected (plug or soldered) to the drone wrong.
2018-7-16
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Try calibrating SPARK on a wooden table away from a wallin your home.
Grass fields sometimes contain limestones which create EMI interference.
2018-7-16
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Flight distance : 500554 ft
Philippines

reset the aircraft via dji assistant then try calibrating it again.
2018-7-16
Use props
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Brazil

Jasta ~ Posted at 2018-7-16 17:26
reset the aircraft via dji assistant then try calibrating it again.

Haven't tried that. I'll try and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip!
2018-7-17
Use props
Jasta ~
First Officer
Flight distance : 500554 ft
Philippines

gabrielsturmer Posted at 2018-7-17 08:31

Let us know if that fix your problem.
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

gabrielsturmer Posted at 2018-7-17 08:31

If the problem persists, let us know. Thank you for your support.
2018-7-18
Use props
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Brazil

Did the reset.
I did try to do the calibration at home, but no luck (mind you that my other Spark would calibrate at home successfully).
I'll go outside later and see if I have better luck there and let you guys know.
Thanks!
2018-7-18
Use props
Max974
lvl.1
Flight distance : 486801 ft
Réunion

I had the same problem
2018-7-18
Use props
Max974
lvl.1
Flight distance : 486801 ft
Réunion

Don't stay around your car
2018-7-18
Use props
gabrielsturmer
lvl.1
Brazil

Max974 Posted at 2018-7-18 07:27
I had the same problem

Did you do anything special to solve it? Last time I tried before the reset I did in an open field with no objects around. I'll try again now that I did the reset.
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

gabrielsturmer Posted at 2018-7-18 09:25
Did you do anything special to solve it? Last time I tried before the reset I did in an open field with no objects around. I'll try again now that I did the reset.

Did you try to connect your phone directly to the aircraft via wi-fi then try the compass calibration again?
2018-7-18
Use props
Mattheww
New
Philippines

Hello guys.. I have the same problema with my Spark.. and this error happened after i updated my firmware.. the error on compass or calibrate compass and it wont allow me.. it always pops up a message regarding magnetic interference when theres no metal near me.. and also it detects a low number of gps signal compare to my on stock firmware. help me guys.. thanks
2018-11-2
Use props
fmpdx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100174 ft
Argentina

I'm having the same problem. I am in the opposite hemisphere and that sure might be the problem.  I had no issues where I lived until I traveled.
2018-11-7
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

gabrielsturmer Posted at 7-18 09:25

Just keep sending it back. I am sure you didn’t get a new one but refurb garbage that most here say work worse with the latest firmware maybe you will get lucky and they will send you one that works
2018-11-7
Use props
mag2k3
New
Flight distance : 234583 ft
Poland

I have the same problem. How to fix it ?
2019-6-9
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

mag2k3 Posted at 6-9 03:37
I have the same problem. How to fix it ?

downgrade firmware!  (google search)
2019-6-9
Use props
djiuser_nCRKVhwlqwoJ
lvl.1
Brazil

I bought my spark in a few weeks and I am facing the same problem. I need to downgrade my firmware to which version?
2019-8-5
Use props
aw.847.aw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17848 ft
Canada

Use a magnet to degauss the compass module
2019-10-28
Use props
Climbnride58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67736 ft
United States

Haven't had this problem with my Spark, but have it with my Mavic Air.
2019-10-28
Use props
ArturoVA
New

Argentina

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-18 02:23
If the problem persists, let us know. Thank you for your support.

Hello, Im Arturo from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I bought a Mavic Air from, paid almost U$800 and the device never worked properly. I contacted support (unable to calibrate the compass), from the very beginning referring to my problem, and as they didn't know how to solve it they asked me to send it back to DJI. I did that with all the inconvenience involved (i live in Argentina), and then the technical team unilaterally decided i broke it. So the warranty  wont cover the repair of my drone. I'm so upset with this decision. Any ideas what can i do?
2019-12-19
Use props
Hyoran Afonso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28737 ft

Brazil

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-14 07:47
Is your belt buckle magnetic?  Or a Fitbit on your arm?  Or your car?  Or a magnetic case on the phone?  A calibration just shows the drone what the range of outputs the solid state compass will give, for a full 360 turn, in earth's magnetic field at your location.

Tem que ver se a compass nao esta com magnetizador, se estiver compre um magnetizador
2020-1-16
Use props
fans19ae92ad
New

Colombia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-14 06:53
Sorry for the trouble. May I know if your wearing any accessories that has metal on it? Please remove your keys, watch, metal frame glasses, coins, etc. Then move away from any metal objects like cars, and then do the calibration.  Let me know if the problem is still the same.

Same problem with a newly sent drone. No cars, keys or smartwatches in sight when calibrating. Reset to factory settings, tried calibrating 100 times in different places after watching 20 instruction videos ..  further insights or instructions would be highly appreciated. Thanks
2020-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules