Which phone should I buy for Mavic Air?
17196 32 2018-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
laduke
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238494 ft

Hello,
I just got my new Mavic Air but I need also a new phone to connect it with (my Galaxy S3 is very old now and Android 4.3 is not supported).
So I looked the Internet for something around 300-400€ and iPhone 6s Plus or Galaxy S7 are my short list.
Which one would you recommend?

If both are equally good to run DJI Go then I would buy the Galaxy (I'm used to Android a long time now).

But I have heard a lot of negatives about DJI Go and Android. Are the problems e.g. disconnecting, high loading current (1400mA on Android vs 750mA on iOS) still true?

Thank you very much for your help!

2018-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Lately it would have been said that iOS is working well with dji drones, if you can pick up a iPad mini 4 second hand, dedicate it to your drone, and you will almost certainly have very few problems.
2018-7-14
Use props
The Otter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1031240 ft
France

I have seen the Air working with an iPhone 5, and I use an Android phone (LG G3). I would recommend the iPhone. DJI Go feels more reactive and stable. If you have the money.
2018-7-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there! I highly recommend you to use mobile devices that are listed below. They are all the compatible devices that you can use to connect it to your Mavic Air. If you have other concern, please let us know. Thank you.

2018-7-14
Use props
MoNoAd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 946788 ft
Malaysia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-14 14:42
Hello there! I highly recommend you to use mobile devices that are listed below. They are all the compatible devices that you can use to connect it to your Mavic Air. If you have other concern, please let us know. Thank you.

[view_image]

Samsung Note 8 is not mentioned, what is your recommendation on Note 8
2018-7-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

MoNoAd Posted at 2018-7-14 14:51
Samsung Note 8 is not mentioned, what is your recommendation on Note 8

As of the moment, we still don't have any update regarding on the capability of the Samsung Note 8 for the Mavic Air. No worries, I'll make sure to address this inquiry to our DJI engineer for further development of the product. Thanks.
2018-7-14
Use props
laduke
lvl.2

Thank you for the recommendations. A very important point for me is the chapter in the manual where it's said:

Current / Voltage (Controller)
1400mAh / 3.7V (Android)
750mAh /3.7V (iOS)

That means basically that when using an Android device the controller runs out of battery much faster.

Is that still true or have updates resolved this issue?

Thanks.
2018-7-14
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I have no problems with my Pixel XL running beta 3 Android P. I've had very few problems with my Google phones Nexus 6 and Pixel XL using any current OS.
2018-7-14
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>

This is the updated and official list from DJI.  Very helpful!!

https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/18/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go
2018-7-14
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

@laduke if you would like to stick to Android, I would recommend getting the S7.  and then I would load the version 4.2.14 of DJI Go4.    Some folks have complained about errors in some of the later versions, but i've been on 4.2.14 since it's release and it has been stable for me.  just my $.02
2018-7-14
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Huawei mate 10 pro .. Highly recommended. 6 inches Oled screen,Kirin 970 and 6 GB RAM .
Maybe you can get some deal tomorrow on Amazon Prime Day!
2018-7-15
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

xiao mi 3 or 5 very cheap and good
2018-7-15
Use props
laduke
lvl.2

I have a question about the iPad mini 4 which was suggested in a post above:
The "normal" version of the pad does not have GPS. Can I still use the funktion "return to home" then? Also is the map displayed properly in DJI go and the positioning system in the left bottom corner?
Thanks.
2018-7-15
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

laduke Posted at 2018-7-15 06:03
The "normal" version of the pad does not have GPS. Can I still use the funktion "return to home" then? Also is the map displayed properly in DJI go and the positioning system in the left bottom corner?
Thanks.

I'd suggest the cellular version with GPS, I like the comfort of mind being able to reset your homepoint to your remote. (you could connect your phone to the ipad, but that's a workaround which would need yet another connection you could do without)
2018-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

laduke Posted at 2018-7-15 06:03
Thanks.

Using iPad mini, won’t effect your aircraft in any way, you don’t need WiFi or cellular, as losBol said if you think you need it, just connect tohotspot from your phone.
2018-7-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use an iPhone 7 plus - generally no issues
2018-7-15
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you stretch yourself, iPhone 7 or at least iPhone 6 Plus as that has more Ram.
2018-7-15
Use props
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-15 06:17
Using iPad mini, won’t effect your aircraft in any way, you don’t need WiFi or cellular, as losBol said if you think you need it, just connect tohotspot from your phone.

so if it was just an ipad mini, the only thing you would not be able to do is amend your RTH? It would just be set from its take off point? Which is no problem for myself if this is the case as I am unlikely to be moving too far if at all from that spot. Just wondering as to whether it is a good idea to get a separate controller for this, and seem s ipad mini 4 could be the easiest (less potential issues?) option.
2018-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

samgawthorpdji Posted at 2018-7-17 00:37
so if it was just an ipad mini, the only thing you would not be able to do is amend your RTH? It would just be set from its take off point? Which is no problem for myself if this is the case as I am unlikely to be moving too far if at all from that spot. Just wondering as to whether it is a good idea to get a separate controller for this, and seem s ipad mini 4 could be the easiest (less potential issues?) option.

Yes that’s about it , you don’t need separate controller, there are many simple mounts out there that you can fit to your controller to take a mini , it also fits into controller without the use of any mount.
2018-7-17
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

so if it was just an ipad mini, the only thing you would not be able to do is amend your RTH? It would just be set from its take off point? Which is no problem for myself if this is the case as I am unlikely to be moving too far if at all from that spot. Just wondering as to whether it is a good idea to get a separate controller for this, and seem s ipad mini 4 could be the easiest (less potential issues?) option.

Hi Sam,

Any device without a GPS module will work but the little compass (very important feature) does not work! (and indeed not possible to update HP to the device location)

A Ipad mini4 without celluar does not have a GPS module (see the ipad website for data)

see pic (sorry in dutch)

cheers
JJB
Afbeelding 1.png
2018-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

so if it was just an ipad mini, the only thing you would not be able to do is amend your RTH? It would just be set from its take off point? Which is no problem for myself if this is the case as I am unlikely to be moving too far if at all from that spot. Just wondering as to whether it is a good idea to get a separate controller for this, and seem s ipad mini 4 could be the easiest (less potential issues?) option.

Your compass arrow will work fine without cellular, the only thing you may not have is map data, I believe I’ve used this once since I started flying, but you can download and cache maps. But both your map compass and radar compass does not need cellular to work, I have been flying for many years without cellular and still do using Crystalsky and everything works fine, also use iPad Pro no cellular and can comfortably fly using radar.
2018-7-17
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-7-17
Use props
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3

Does it not need a sim card for the cellular part to operate tho?
2018-7-17
Use props
laduke
lvl.2

You need a sim card to use mobile internet for sure. But is the GPS usable (active) without one?
2018-7-17
Use props
gwinters
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105112 ft
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-7-14 15:24
I have no problems with my Pixel XL running beta 3 Android P. I've had very few problems with my Google phones Nexus 6 and Pixel XL using any current OS.

I agree, no issues with my MA using GEN 1 Pixel XL
2018-7-17
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

laduke Posted at 2018-7-17 04:05
You need a sim card to use mobile internet for sure. But is the GPS usable (active) without one?

Yess, you can use the GPS without the sim card or active cell service.
2018-7-17
Use props
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So a refurbed or seconds mini 4 would be suitable. Obviously one with no damage to the screen and with cellular. Would a 16gb one suffice if its just used for the MA? Can up the storage with a seperate sd if needed?
2018-7-18
Use props
Outdoors
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11644 ft

Check out FreedomPop.com for inexpensive older phones.  It's nice to also have a phone that works and costs nothing month-to-month.  Just downgrade to the free plan before your first month's trial is over.  You get 200 minutes, 200 texts, and 500mb of data all for nothing.  Just remember to make a call from the phone every three weeks or the account will go inactive and you have to call to re-instate it (at no cost).  With prepaid phones you have to add 'n' minutes a month or it stops.  The FreedomPop free plans are just that; free!
2018-7-19
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

DJI products work best with apple products. The two companies have joint ventures together
2018-7-23
Use props
Nostalgic Memories
New
United States

I use my Android Galaxy 8+  
2018-7-23
Use props
djiuser_izLjLLL0t5ok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3225 ft
Greece

Does anyone fly mavic air with xiaomi MA1 or MA2???
2018-11-18
Use props
Monk32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50915 ft
Greece

Hi. Have in mind that most smartphones these days working ok with go4. Make your decision on which type of  software you like to run on. IOS generally is mostly trouble free. Android on the other hand is very good but keep away from android 7 (Nugat) and in XIAOMI devices avoid staying in MIUI9 which has many reports of unconsistency with go4.
Second think, is the budget you have in mind to invest in a smartphone. For high one a good choice is Samsung S8. For low budget Xiaomi redmi 5plus or redmi note 5 are great devices. Remember to upgrade to OREO and MIUI10 (this is going to get automaticaly as soon as you log in internet).
I am using XIAOMI redmi 5 plus with OREO and Miui10 rooted with MAGISK and go4 works without no issues at all.
Have nice flights.
2018-11-21
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nokia 130 is the best.
2018-11-22
Use props
Advanced