Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to Import in DaVinci Resolve 15?
10983 15 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

All my Phantom 4 pro 2.0 footage shows up as "Media Offline" when I add those media folders to the media pool. I Googled the problem and it seems the only solution is a video converter program. Every time a new version of DaVinci comes out, I try it out, but end up going back to Adobe Premiere, because it works. Anyone figure out how to import to DaVinci?
2018-7-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Did you create a timeline first?
2018-7-15
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-15 16:56
Did you create a timeline first?

I couldn't even get that far. I could not even see the files in the media pool. They would appear with the red warning screen about media disconnected. So another words in the first step of building a project which is to import media that was not possible due to the error.
2018-7-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-15 19:58
I couldn't even get that far. I could not even see the files in the media pool. They would appear with the red warning screen about media disconnected. So another words in the first step of building a project which is to import media that was not possible due to the error.

Resolve was created primarily by Mac Heads, so a lot of it is counter-intuitive. I don't have any P4PV2 material, so I can't check it out for you unfortunately.
2018-7-15
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I explored and tried to import the DaVinci SW once in the past but gave up and instead went over to FCPX; never looked back.
2018-7-16
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-7-16 03:59
I explored and tried to import the DaVinci SW once in the past but gave up and instead went over to FCPX; never looked back.

I had read that some P4P owners were using Resolve to edit footage, so I was under the impression it worked with Resolve. But like my Sony RX10 mk III footage, it does not import.

I'm just experimenting with Resolve, as I'm looking for an alternative in the future, as Adobe CS6 works, but is getting long in the tooth and doesn't support LUTs. It works fine otherwise. Just looking for a possible non-subscription-based future replacement so I am not stuck with CS6 forever.
2018-7-16
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-16 04:57
I had read that some P4P owners were using Resolve to edit footage, so I was under the impression it worked with Resolve. But like my Sony RX10 mk III footage, it does not import.

I'm just experimenting with Resolve, as I'm looking for an alternative in the future, as Adobe CS6 works, but is getting long in the tooth and doesn't support LUTs. It works fine otherwise. Just looking for a possible non-subscription-based future replacement so I am not stuck with CS6 forever.

Here ya; FCP supports LUTS that's one of the many things I personally like about it.
2018-7-16
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-7-16 06:23
Here ya; FCP supports LUTS that's one of the many things I personally like about it.

So does Resolve, and so do the Creative Cloud (subscription based) versions of Premiere. With so many software developers going subscription-only, there is diminishing options for those of us not wanting a monthly debt.
2018-7-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-16 04:57

If the footage from your RX10 does not import into Resolve, then there is something wrong with the way you are doing. it. As I said earlier, I can't speak for P4PV2 footage, but I import P3P footage all the time, plus sony A7R II material. I sympathise with your view on subscription based programs, I won't touch them. Even if you buy Resolve outright, it is not expensive and has a lot more development potential.
2018-7-16
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-16 17:39
If the footage from your RX10 does not import into Resolve, then there is something wrong with the way you are doing. it. As I said earlier, I can't speak for P4PV2 footage, but I import P3P footage all the time, plus sony A7R II material. I sympathise with your view on subscription based programs, I won't touch them. Even if you buy Resolve outright, it is not expensive and has a lot more development potential.

If I'm doing it wrong, then no footage from ANY camera would import. I simply add the media folder to the media pool, but when I point to a folder with either RX10 or Phantom footage, the thumbnails even show the Media Offline error. I've tried a whole bunch of procedures that others were recommended because of this problem, such as saving project under a new name and reimporting, turning off auto save, etc, but it STILL won't properly render the files, even when looking in the file explorer part of DaVinci.

I remember giving some of the files to an associate who's running Premiere CC and he said it crashed the program when he imported them. Oddly, my Premiere CS6 works with all this footage with no problems at all.
2018-7-17
Use props
fans76791fc7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2095738 ft
Switzerland

A bit of a late answer here: got the same problem with the Sony FS5 MXF files when I import them in DaVinci Resolve 15. Seems certain codecs or containers are not supported by the FREE version anymore. Have to buy the Studio version. https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=72554
2018-8-25
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

fans76791fc7 Posted at 2018-8-25 11:21
A bit of a late answer here: got the same problem with the Sony FS5 MXF files when I import them in DaVinci Resolve 15. Seems certain codecs or containers are not supported by the FREE version anymore. Have to buy the Studio version. https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=72554

Thanks for that link. It seems there is much confusion even among the BMD support folks.
Some are saying 10-bit files are not supported. However, the Phantom shoots 8-bit files. So does my RX10 Mk III mirrorless camera. Both are 'offline' in Resolve. However, my 10-bit FS7 footage loads just fine. Contradicts what their techs are saying!
2018-8-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-25 14:35
Thanks for that link. It seems there is much confusion even among the BMD support folks.
Some are saying 10-bit files are not supported. However, the Phantom shoots 8-bit files. So does my RX10 Mk III mirrorless camera. Both are 'offline' in Resolve. However, my 10-bit FS7 footage loads just fine. Contradicts what their techs are saying!

Why don't you post a small piece of footage from your Phantom to Dropbox and I will see if it imports on my copy of Resolve?
2018-8-25
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-25 16:13
Why don't you post a small piece of footage from your Phantom to Dropbox and I will see if it imports on my copy of Resolve?

Don't we all have Phantoms in this group? They should all output the same file format.
2018-8-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-25 22:21
Don't we all have Phantoms in this group? They should all output the same file format.

Yes, I have a Phantom, a P3P and it does not give me any problems at all importing into Resolve 15. But that does not mean the file is the same format as your P4P, especially the H265 version.
2018-8-26
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-26 16:09
Yes, I have a Phantom, a P3P and it does not give me any problems at all importing into Resolve 15. But that does not mean the file is the same format as your P4P, especially the H265 version.

I have to find a file short enough that won't take forever to upload and will be small enough to fit my free Dropbox account. Give me some time to sort it out.
2018-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules