Take off issues
2644 28 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cruicer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15764 ft
United States

Been experience take off issues now for a new weeks.  It's not consistent...some days I am fine, some days it happen quite often.  It will hover fine, no issue, but if I joystick up it's jumpy, joy stick down it's jumpy.  Have had issues where it would be so jumpy that I ended up turning the spark to the side in fear of it just taking off because it wouldn't respond to controls.  At first I thought maybe the channel is busy, so I'd switch it, not just from channel 1 to 3 or 5, but I'd change it over to the 5.2 GHz freq and it would still happen.  The firmware is updated, I have no errors, once it seems to fly a bit, all is good, it will fly for the length of the battery with no further issues.  But now I am very hesitate to fly...in fear of this thing just taking off, or worst falls out of the sky.  I was flying yesterday, wide open area, flew for a few minutes with no issue, went to hover over some cattails, then the issue happened again.  It just went up, down, up, down, down and then crashed.  Luckily it wasn't far from me and there was no water around.  But I am really starting to lose trust.  Anyone have / had this issue, any suggestions?  Things to check?  Tonight I ended up going thru all kinds of channels, and nothing really seemed to be better than the other.  Made sure before I took off, the channel was not noisey and clean.  At a lost here...

2018-7-15
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Cruicer,

To help you we need video from your drone when it behaves like this and the flight record.
You can upload flight logs here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us.

Mirek
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize that you had issues with your DJI Spark that day.  This should be fixed by the firmware update  but the new Spark firmware was originally expected to be released recently, however, to ensure that we provide a good user experience, we are still testing the software, so the release will be slightly delayed. The new firmware will be released in the near future. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-16 05:29
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize that you had issues with your DJI Spark that day.  This should be fixed by the firmware update  but the new Spark firmware was originally expected to be released recently, however, to ensure that we provide a good user experience, we are still testing the software, so the release will be slightly delayed. The new firmware will be released in the near future. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I appreciate the feedback, what is "near future", should I hold off on flying until this is released.  Are others reporting the same / similar issue?
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-15 18:32
Cruicer,

To help you we need video from your drone when it behaves like this and the flight record.

ahh...I am not the only one...Just found the EXACT same issue here...apparently do NOT use the app to launch, but rather the two joysticks down and in for the manual launch...

2018-7-16
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Cruicer Posted at 2018-7-16 06:46
ahh...I am not the only one...Just found the EXACT same issue here...apparently do NOT use the app to launch, but rather the two joysticks down and in for the manual launch...

Cruiser,

Don't fall for it.
Yes - this is a known issue which have been reported multiple times.
No - the workaround shown on this video does not work in all cases (it does work for some and doesn't for others).
No - it is not normal behaviour.
No - it is not related to firmware. At least not if the firmware is installed properly. If it was we would be all experiencing this.

If, indeed, your case is identical to what is shown on this video, demand warranty replacement for your Spark. DJI will need some proof in form of recorded video and related flight logs. Once you supply it to them, I do no see how they would refuse replacement.
BTW - before you send it to DJI, please reset your Spark to factory settings and re-install latest firmware. It is possible that something got messed up and re-install will fix it.

Mirek
2018-7-16
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

this is a quite a normal behaviour during SPARK take off. Just gradually take off the AC after starting through the remote.
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

S.J Posted at 2018-7-16 08:17
this is a quite a normal behaviour during SPARK take off. Just gradually take off the AC after starting through the remote.

Disagree on the "normal"...this is not normal.  I've had the spark for a few months and this just started a few weeks ago...
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-16 07:11
Cruiser,

Don't fall for it.

All good points...and as I kept digging the stick take off is not the fix.  Few people mentioned to re-calibrate the IMU and the compass.  Going to try all of this tonight.  Then if this keep happening I'll go with the factory reset as you mentioned and finally I'll have to contact DJI directly and see where it goes.  

Thanks for your comments...
2018-7-16
Use props
MartyTravels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394173 ft

This is not a normal behavior. Try to get a warranty replacement and let us know how it goes. I have the same issue and mine crashed into the sand of a beach and now I'm afraid DJI will just blame the sand for the problem.
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

MartyTravels Posted at 2018-7-16 10:15
This is not a normal behavior. Try to get a warranty replacement and let us know how it goes. I have the same issue and mine crashed into the sand of a beach and now I'm afraid DJI will just blame the sand for the problem.

I sent them an email, you might as well report the issue too.  Power in numbers...but I'll keep you posted if I hear of anything, or if I find something that might work or to try.
2018-7-16
Use props
MartyTravels
lvl.4

I contacted the DJI support 3 times. The 3rd time they said I should send it in for repair because of the sand damage not mentioning the problem which caused the crash.
2018-7-16
Use props
Fltliberty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1899708 ft

I have my spark at North America repair facility, since June 22 for the same issue. I can’t get them to repair under warranty, they billed me for 373.00
To fix it......I have flown it for almost 40 hours with out any issues until now. They won’t admit there is a problem with it
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Cruicer Posted at 2018-7-16 06:40
I appreciate the feedback, what is "near future", should I hold off on flying until this is released.  Are others reporting the same / similar issue?

Hi, apologies for the delay, again for us to provide a good user end experience we have to test and re-evaluate everything. But this will not take too long.  DJI customers will be notified thru this forum so please stand by for that. Thank you.
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

Cruicer Posted at 2018-7-16 09:18
All good points...and as I kept digging the stick take off is not the fix.  Few people mentioned to re-calibrate the IMU and the compass.  Going to try all of this tonight.  Then if this keep happening I'll go with the factory reset as you mentioned and finally I'll have to contact DJI directly and see where it goes.  

Thanks for your comments...

Well...I re-calibrated the IMU and the compass...still no go...same exact issue...Sent DJI an email they replied with just a case number so far.  I got a video of it tonight...posted here.

As you can see even when it hovers it's jumping a bit...but when I hit the up stick is when you'll really see it.  Hate this feeling...

I'll add this to my case as well...I'll keep you all posted.
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

Fltliberty Posted at 2018-7-16 14:06
I have my spark at North America repair facility, since June 22 for the same issue. I can’t get them to repair under warranty, they billed me for 373.00
To fix it......I have flown it for almost 40 hours with out any issues until now. They won’t admit there is a problem with it

show them the video I just posted...this HAS to be covered...or a firmware or something...
2018-7-16
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Dirt or something in the motors?  Part of the prop mount broken inside the motor?  Faulty props that aren't tracking right or balanced (wierd red ones)?  Dirty downward vision sensors can't figure out distance?  The down movement hesitates because it is checking for landing mode.

I don't like those props.
2018-7-16
Use props
Fltliberty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1899708 ft
United States

Thinking back About my Motor cut out/off issue,
I don’t think I ever had any issues until after reading about an update about motor warm up  before take off  when it was cold, I don’t remember
Where, or even if it was for a spark.........my other spark fly’s
Just fine with the same controller and battery’s
So they’re eliminated from the picture  
2018-7-16
Use props
MartyTravels
lvl.4

Fltliberty Posted at 2018-7-16 14:06

Why are they charging 373USD if nothing is wrong with it?
2018-7-16
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Cruicer Posted at 2018-7-16 15:07
Well...I re-calibrated the IMU and the compass...still no go...same exact issue...Sent DJI an email they replied with just a case number so far.  I got a video of it tonight...posted here.

As you can see even when it hovers it's jumping a bit...but when I hit the up stick is when you'll really see it.  Hate this feeling...

thats the video, I always miss to create!
Showing RC and AC in the video, so that DJI sees, that the record, showing that the Spark is "following" stick movement and rising its height, if moved the left stick accordingly, is a "myth".

Can you upload the flightlog from the videostart to phantom help , please?
I am sure, in the beginning you find in there a voltage drop, 0.1xx volt difference between 2 of the 3 cells. Which will recover during time afterwards

But for your (temporary) help:
Try either:
Very smooth movement, not 100% usage of the left stick.
That worked for me for a couple of month.
or:
After starting the motors switch to sport

The one or the other should get you a bit higher, so that the Spark is not in the risk to bump on the floor.
I just flew it under this circumstances, and yes, in the beginning it was always "whohoo" complaining. The sound wasn't clean.
But that seemed to recover over the flighttime.

And my Spark also seemed to work better, for some time, after doing the IMU calibration.
Only it needed that sometimes almost every flight.

And I have 2 sparks, one is NOT asking for IMU, the other one however ....

Another question:
Is your Spark needing long, to find GPS?
Between my 2 Sparks, here was a noticeable time difference, to get the GPS ready, at the very same location.
Also the (good)  one has he GPS always back on, after a battery change, the "troublemaker" needed again a search!
2018-7-16
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-16 21:58
thats the video, I always miss to create!
Showing RC and AC in the video, so that DJI sees, that the record, showing that the Spark is "following" stick movement and rising its height, if moved the left stick accordingly, is a "myth".

I can up load the log, just not sure how, I have it from the spark but if you can send me a link to upload I will.  With regards to finding GPS...not really, I guess I can say "all depends" if I haven't been flying, yea it might take a bit to be all green, but if I am flying and need to swap out a battery, no issue, finds the GPS quickly.  I've noticed that a cold flight it when is seems to happen more often than not.  Meaning if it's the first flight of the day, then it's jumpy for a bit but will eventually clear up.  And if I swap out a battery and fly right away, no issue.  At least that is what I noticed last night.

I am sort of agitated with DJI support, I sent them an email yesterday, now granted I've heard they can be very unhelpful, but the lackadaisical response is not acceptable to me...

My email response to them when asked "what steps have I taken"

This started probably about two weeks ago, but seems to be getting worst.  So far I've tried:

Changing frequencies, thinking I had some sort of interference.  Doesn't matter which band 2.x Ghz or the 5.x GHz.  Happens in either.  
I have an OTG cable, tried to fly with and without it, issues happens with it or without.  
Re-calibrated both the IMU and the compass
Re-installed the latest firmware
Replaced batteries
All of the above I'd do it, try to fly, issue sometimes, sometimes not, but just when I think it was one of those items it would happen again.

But here is the thing, if I can get past the first few moments of the jumpyness, it will eventually level out and will fly with no issue.  After the re-install / re-calibration, I flew for a bit, at first it was jumpy, then eventually it stopped and it flew with no issue.  Even put in a new battery and it flew the length of that battery with no issue.  One might think it was the battery, but I have 4, and the issue eventually happens with all 4 (I've been taking note of what battery was in when the issue happens).  I took the attached video this evening, might help you understand what is happening.

Almost seems that once it is all warmed up it flies with no problem.

Someone from the DJI forum stated that there may be a firmware update coming out soon, can you comment on that.  I posted this issue here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1465411

And "DJI Gamora" stated the upcoming firmware release.

Let me know if there is anything else you need, I have the Flight logs too, just don't know where or how to upload them.

And their response....

I appreciate for your effort for troubleshooting your drone and sending us a video. It seems that we already exhausted the possible solution of your drone. I do apologize I don't have a DJI Furom account for me to comment with your post. However, since our fellow colleague DJI Gamora posted about the new upcoming software to fix the issue of your Spark, we suggest to please kindly wait for the upcoming firmware.Though we are unable to provide you an exact resolution time, we appreciate your patience and feedback that will help us improve our products. We urge you to constantly visit our link - www.dji.com for the latest updates on our technology and products.

Your cooperation and understanding is so much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
You will receive an email survey two days after this email if not responded.
If you happen to be away and won’t be able to answer this email timely, please disregard the survey and reply to us directly.
2018-7-17
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-16 15:43
Dirt or something in the motors?  Part of the prop mount broken inside the motor?  Faulty props that aren't tracking right or balanced (wierd red ones)?  Dirty downward vision sensors can't figure out distance?  The down movement hesitates because it is checking for landing mode.

I don't like those props.

Yea I get the downward at the end of the video because it's landing...not concerned about that...it's the up direction that will make it jumpy as well as down if it's not landing...left, right it seems fine.
2018-7-17
Use props
MartyTravels
lvl.4

Well...I re-calibrated the IMU and the compass...still no go...same exact issue...Sent DJI an email they replied with just a case number so far.  I got a video of it tonight...posted here.https://vimeo.com/280277228

Mate, you're using 3rd party probs? This could hinder the investigation. Can you make the same video with all original parts?
2018-7-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Cruicer Posted at 2018-7-17 06:17
I can up load the log, just not sure how, I have it from the spark but if you can send me a link to upload I will.  With regards to finding GPS...not really, I guess I can say "all depends" if I haven't been flying, yea it might take a bit to be all green, but if I am flying and need to swap out a battery, no issue, finds the GPS quickly.  I've noticed that a cold flight it when is seems to happen more often than not.  Meaning if it's the first flight of the day, then it's jumpy for a bit but will eventually clear up.  And if I swap out a battery and fly right away, no issue.  At least that is what I noticed last night.

I am sort of agitated with DJI support, I sent them an email yesterday, now granted I've heard they can be very unhelpful, but the lackadaisical response is not acceptable to me...

I am just talking about the Go4 flight record from that video, please.
It is the same link, Mirek posted in #2

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

After upload, just post the webadress of that phantom help page here
2018-7-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

MartyTravels Posted at 2018-7-17 06:20
Mate, you're using 3rd party probs? This could hinder the investigation. Can you make the same video with all original parts?

I just dont think that makes a difference here.
If you check the #5 video, you see the same behavior.
My one bird 's only flying with DJI props.

I would really like to know if after CSC start using the left stick slowly and with just ~50% moving to the front, it will get his bird better in the air
2018-7-17
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

Well...I re-calibrated the IMU and the compass...still no go...same exact issue...Sent DJI an email they replied with just a case number so far.  I got a video of it tonight...posted here.https://vimeo.com/280277228

Are your [props original. Please use original props and try again.  
Also do not take off  from underneath a concrete block. There will be EMI interference.
2018-7-17
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-17 07:17
I just dont think that makes a difference here.
If you check the #5 video, you see the same behavior.
My one bird 's only flying with DJI props.

Yea I am going to try that tonight...the slow and steady left up...I'll also get the logs uploaded, need a clean start since I am not 100% sure which logs I had the issue with.  Right after I posted that video, I went thru 2 batteries with no future issue.  It's almost like it's a "warm-up" thing.  Still not right or normal but...
2018-7-17
Use props
Cruicer
lvl.2
United States

Not that I believe this fixed this issue, but I haven't had the issue now for about two days.  The ONLY thing I've done is changed out all 4 props.  I've ran through all 4 batteries the past two nights (8) full flights and not a single incident.  And I am trying to duplicate it...Auto take offs, stick take offs...it's all good.  But I am not convinced yet...
2018-7-19
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Cruicer Posted at 2018-7-19 07:40
Not that I believe this fixed this issue, but I haven't had the issue now for about two days.  The ONLY thing I've done is changed out all 4 props.  I've ran through all 4 batteries the past two nights (8) full flights and not a single incident.  And I am trying to duplicate it...Auto take offs, stick take offs...it's all good.  But I am not convinced yet...

Definitely sounds like a prop issue. Think you fixed it, Put your old props under magnification and see if there are any nicks, etc, or one that unfolds tighter than others.
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules