Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Panorama tilt limited
3920 19 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seagoat8888
lvl.2
Canada

Why is the tilt range for panoramas limited to +/- 45 degrees?  I bought this with the intention of shooting full spherical panoramas, and other than the inevitable photographing of the rig at the base, I see no reason other than arbitrary software limitation for it to not fully up/down when shooting panoramas.  
Can we expect an update for this soon?  Thanks.

2018-7-15
Use props
seagoat8888
lvl.2
Canada

Additionally, I'd love the feature of shooting N number of photos per angle (so I can shoot bracketed exposures).  I wanted this to be the Gigapan killer because I'm tired of hauling my Giga around, but technically it's still more fully-featured as a pano shooter than the Ronin-S.
2018-7-15
Use props
BearPhoto
lvl.2

United States

I hope they will update the feature to do 360x180 vs currently 360x90 would be cool to be able to do some google street views
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, Ronin-S supports pan axis and roll axis performing 360 degrees rotation, but for spherical panoramas, third-party software is required.
Our engineers are keeping developing more features, let's expect the future release. Thanks for your support.
2018-7-15
Use props
seagoat8888
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-7-15 23:18
Sorry for the inconvenience caused, Ronin-S supports pan axis and roll axis performing 360 degrees rotation, but for spherical panoramas, third-party software is required.
Our engineers are keeping developing more features, let's expect the future release. Thanks for your support.

Hi Mindy, thanks for your reply but I think you're misunderstanding my request.  Currently when setting up panorama, I can set pan and tilt.  Pan allows me to do a fill 360 degree rotation.  Tilt allows 45 degrees up and 45 degrees down.  This means the camera won't point fully up and fully down, so I can't get the full view.  There's nothing mechanical preventing 90 degrees up/down, it's a software limitation.

Please try this out in your app and you'll see.  Graphic interface that allows you to pull points around but it restricts those points to cover only have of the field in the graphic.  Can you please confirm you understand what I'm describing?  Thanks!
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

seagoat8888 Posted at 2018-7-15 20:19
Additionally, I'd love the feature of shooting N number of photos per angle (so I can shoot bracketed exposures).  I wanted this to be the Gigapan killer because I'm tired of hauling my Giga around, but technically it's still more fully-featured as a pano shooter than the Ronin-S.

If you sent the delay amount on the Ronin-S to be the longest duration during your bracketed shots, it should be able to do what you're asking for.
2018-7-17
Use props
BearPhoto
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-7-17 05:57
If you sent the delay amount on the Ronin-S to be the longest duration during your bracketed shots, it should be able to do what you're asking for.

Sorry a bit new, so not sure what you mean but in the app you can only do 360x90. Was wondering if possible to make the app do 360x180 for max spherical pano's. This would make DJI ronin S have a feature that no other Gimbal on the market has.

For example I wouldn't need to buy one of these
https://shop.nodalninja.com/nn3-mk3-series/
https://shop.nodalninja.com/google-solutions/

They also have a robotic one coming out soon

I hope you guys will have the USB shutter control for Sony soon. I see they can also control the shutter with USB on a Sony.

2018-7-17
Use props
seagoat8888
lvl.2
Canada

Can we get an ETA on when the app might be updated to allow full 180 degree tilt in panoramas?
2018-7-19
Use props
seagoat8888
lvl.2
Canada

Apparently DJI considers this "solved" after having replied with totally irrelevant information.  Crap customer support, got it.
2018-8-26
Use props
Surface2Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

seagoat8888 Posted at 2018-7-16 20:21
Hi Mindy, thanks for your reply but I think you're misunderstanding my request.  Currently when setting up panorama, I can set pan and tilt.  Pan allows me to do a fill 360 degree rotation.  Tilt allows 45 degrees up and 45 degrees down.  This means the camera won't point fully up and fully down, so I can't get the full view.  There's nothing mechanical preventing 90 degrees up/down, it's a software limitation.

Please try this out in your app and you'll see.  Graphic interface that allows you to pull points around but it restricts those points to cover only have of the field in the graphic.  Can you please confirm you understand what I'm describing?  Thanks!

Not sure if this will help for the pano's but to extend the angle of tilt passed the default settings - In the Ronin app Configurations / Control Settings / Motion Tab / Tilt sub tab - increase the Endpoint to 180 Up & 90 Down. This will allow the gimbal to tilt all the way.
2018-8-26
Use props
seagoat8888
lvl.2
Canada

Surface2Air Posted at 2018-8-26 15:49
Not sure if this will help for the pano's but to extend the angle of tilt passed the default settings - In the Ronin app Configurations / Control Settings / Motion Tab / Tilt sub tab - increase the Endpoint to 180 Up & 90 Down. This will allow the gimbal to tilt all the way.

Thanks for trying -- I am able to update to the settings describe, but then when I go to "create" it still will only tilt up/down 45 degrees (90 tilt range total).

I am totally baffled that they would create this product with this obvious self-imposed software limitation and that there's not a louder group of users to cmoplain about it.
2018-9-30
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>

+1 to please fix the whole TILT limitation issue.
Currently, Ronin-S CANNOT do a Sphere because of the +/-45 degree tilt limitation.
This limitation is not in place for the other creative functions where you can use the full +/-90 degree.
Please remove this limitation from Panorama.
[FW 1.05.00.45 2018.10.11]
2018-10-20
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>

Surface2Air Posted at 2018-8-26 15:49

unfortunately that doesn't work for panos.
2018-10-21
Use props
LaoTrav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 805974 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Same limitation for the motion time lapse. I'm not really happy with this purchse.
2018-10-21
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>

Had an email from an engineer reply arguing this limitation was instated to protect lenses from accidental damage.
I tried to put the point forward that a maximum movement could be set elsewhere in the app, and that conservative default should be able to be overridden by advanced users, hence full functionality and the ability to shoot proper 360 spheres.
Plus, lenses can also be damaged in other ways (power loss, freak movement, controller movement....)
Hoping for adoption ;-)
2018-10-24
Use props
DiverAndy
New
Flight distance : 386486 ft
United Kingdom

Has there been any update? I'm considering purchasing a Ronin-S but can't see the point if my Osmo can do a better job. I've looked at a few forums and social media groups and I am beginning to think that DJI are deliberately choking the potential of the Ronin-S. In a way similar to what Apple do with iPhones and iPads, making sure they always have something to improve their equipment and make you want to buy more.
2018-12-13
Use props
djiuser_e1ohTetl67ms
New

Brazil

I thought about buying dozens of this equipment for my panoramic photography business but gave up. I thought this equipment was capable of making the whole sphere. Please let me know when there is news on this subject.
2019-1-12
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

+ 1 please enable full degree rotation
2019-1-12
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Would be nice to know if this issue is acknowledged and worked on..
2019-1-24
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

unfortunately, this issue still persists in FW 1.7.0.70 (2019.01.17)
2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules