Is there a digital zoom on the Mavic Air?
8496 21 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_3hulSTmmGTmi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11644 ft

If so, I can't find it.  Would someone point me to the instructions.

If not, DJI, please add the functionality.  (1) I could see it added on the drone itself, which would allow folks to record video or take pictures with the digital zoom should they desire.  (2) Allow a user two-finger control on their phone/tablet.  The zoom wouldn't be seen on any recorded video or pictures, but it would allow the user to get a closer view of their subject during flight.  This second option might be the easiest to implement, as it would be modifying the DJI GO 4 application and not touching the Mavic Air's firmware.

Folks, please don't suggest for me to zoom in post.  (1) There's value to being able to digitally zoom and not bother with post production processing.  But that's not even my situation.  (2) I want to be able to zoom in on objects from altitude while flying.  I don't want to or can't get closer physically.  I may not even have an SDHC card in the drone or have any intent to take pictures or video.  Post production would be useless.  I'd like the ability to digitally zoom in as much as allows an image with distinguishable objects to be shown.  

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

2018-7-15
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

No. There is no zoom on the Air.
2018-7-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zoom in post
2018-7-16
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

OP literally just wrote that he doesn't want to zoom in in post but to be able to see objects closer when flying.

@OP: No, it's definitely not possible and I don't think it will be added in anytime soon, if they even plan to add it. There are other things that really have to be fixed, first and even that is sadly not happening because DJI doesn't reply to the big issue threads.
2018-7-16
Use props
djiuser_3hulSTmmGTmi
lvl.1

saviour Posted at 2018-7-16 01:44
OP literally just wrote that he doesn't want to zoom in in post but to be able to see objects closer when flying.

@OP: No, it's definitely not possible and I don't think it will be added in anytime soon, if they even plan to add it. There are other things that really have to be fixed, first and even that is sadly not happening because DJI doesn't reply to the big issue threads.

Thank you Saviour and Aeromirage.  Oh well.  I still love the Air.  It does everything I need, most everything I desire, and many more cool things that I'll probably never use other than to try them once.  But who knows, maybe I'll expand my uses over time.

I wondered about using one of those tiny stick on telephoto lenses you can buy for cell phone and CCTV cameras.  They weigh only a couple grams, but I fear the weight would strain and overheat the gimbal mechanism.

Thanks again,
Andrew
2018-7-16
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

MA can Zoom the camera close to object physically which much better than digital zoom. You just fly closer to see the details you want. This is how the drone used for.  Remember to keep safety distance with the object and not get too close.
2018-7-16
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

A way to do digital zoom with pinch on the display, but not on the recorded image would be great! I could zoom in on my phone to see details better without affecting the final video.
2018-7-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 2018-7-16 01:44

Missed that bit - nah, no zoom on the MA and even the MP x2 digital zoom is not the best.
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Yes, there is a digital zoom. You just have to drag the screen of your mobile device with two fingers to zoom the image closer.
2018-7-16
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-16 08:42
Hello there. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Yes, there is a digital zoom. You just have to drag the screen of your mobile device with two fingers to zoom the image closer.

Wanda, You're not saying that I can use my fingers on my device to zoom in and have that affect what's being recorded on the MA are you?
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-16 09:05
Wanda, You're not saying that I can use my fingers on my device to zoom in and have that affect what's being recorded on the MA are you?

Hello. I'm sorry but I don't get what you're trying to say, sir.
2018-7-16
Use props
Outdoors
lvl.1

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 2018-7-16 05:20
A way to do digital zoom with pinch on the display, but not on the recorded image would be great! I could zoom in on my phone to see details better without affecting the final video.

GDL, I've already specified that I cannot fly closer to the object.  I need to observe from altitude.  Flying closer is not an option.
2018-7-16
Use props
Outdoors
lvl.1

Wanda, please elaborate on how to drag the screen of the mobile device with two fingers to zoom the image closer.  That is the first thing I tried and I've tried it every way I can think of doing.
- I've touched the display with two fingers and spread them apart.  Nothing happened.
- I've done the same while not recording.  Nothing happened.
- I've done the same while recording.  Nothing happened.
- I've done the same while the camera was selected.  Nothing happened.
- I've tried sliding two fingers both across and down the screen.  Nothing happened.
- I've tried it while in the gimble up/down mode.  Nothing happened.
- I've tried all the above without an SDHC card in the Mavic Air.
- I've tried all the above with an SDHC card in the Mavic Air.

Please provide more detail on how I can accomplish expanding the view on my phone or tablet.  If there is a tutorial video on how to do it, please provide the URL.

Thank you,
Andrew
2018-7-16
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Parrot anafi has digital zoom not the MA.

https://www.parrot.com/global/drones/anafi
2018-7-16
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

There absolutely is no digital zoom with the MA.
2018-7-16
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That my friend is a digital zoom!
2018-7-16
Use props
Outdoors
lvl.1

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-7-16 18:12
That my friend is a digital zoom!

Lucas, if you can get it to work then please let me know how you did it.  Touching two fingers to the screen and then expanding them outward was the very first thing I tried after not finding anything in the application.  I have yet to have it expand the view no matter what I've tried.  Please let me know how it works for you and details on how you accomplished it (where on the screen screen, what mode, video running/not running, etc.).  I've tried it on both a Galaxy S8+ Edge and a Galaxy Tab without success.
2018-7-16
Use props
Outdoors
lvl.1

I believe I'm in agreement with those above that have said there is no digital zoom, of any type, available now on the Mavic Air.  If anyone has actually tried it, succeeded, and can demonstrate it to me then I'll be very pleased to be wrong.
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Outdoors Posted at 2018-7-16 13:20
Wanda, please elaborate on how to drag the screen of the mobile device with two fingers to zoom the image closer.  That is the first thing I tried and I've tried it every way I can think of doing.
- I've touched the display with two fingers and spread them apart.  Nothing happened.
- I've done the same while not recording.  Nothing happened.

Hello there. Sorry for the late response. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We already confirm this information to our engineers and there's no digital zoom or any kind of zoom for Mavic Air. If someone is asking if there will be in the future, we cannot guarantee that details yet. Again, I apologize for the confusion.
2018-7-17
Use props
Outdoors
lvl.1

We already confirm this information to our engineers and there's no digital zoom or any kind of zoom for Mavic Air.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Hopefully this will be a functionality added in the future.
2018-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can zoom quite a bit, using 4K drop to 1080p
2018-7-17
Use props
parafux
lvl.1
Flight distance : 340010 ft
Germany

@hallmark007: you mean in post processing, right?
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules