Poor quality photos
7008 14 2018-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony Philbrick
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Morning all, I am struggling badly to try and resolve poor quality photos with my DJI MAVIC PRO. I only use RAW setting, and I’ve made adjustments to the settings as per previous advice and through reading posts on this forum but I’m still having problems.
The photos I’m taking appear ok, but if you zoom in at all everything blurs, which is not good when taking pictures of groups of people.

Video quality is great! Is it better to use video and take a screenshot from that, I know it would use valuable space but I’m at a bit of a loss what to do.

Thanks for reading.

Tony

2018-7-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Video is ALWAYS going to yield worse quality for stills than a RAW file.  Video is a (massively) compressed JPG of a a lower resolution.  You need to post some photos so people can troubleshoot.  Important things like are you tapping to focus?  What is your shutterspeed for the images?  Make sure you're not using filters and so on.  Post some images up *with* the IPTC/exif data so we can see.
2018-7-16
Use props
Tony Philbrick
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I’m at work at the moment so will do as soon as I get home, forgive my ignorance but I don’t even know what the IPTC/exif data is let alone how I access it?
2018-7-16
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just upload a  few of the bad pics to dropbox or something like that and then share the link. That would be the best way for us to see the true data of the image file.
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi, I am sorry to know that you are having this issue. Can you post some of those pictures for us to check? Thank you.
2018-7-16
Use props
Tony Philbrick
lvl.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kfrxn7iam04zlc/Photo%2014-07-2018%2C%2021%2050%2048.jpg?dl=0
2018-7-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

That looks like the tiny low resolution jpg off the tablet than the actual full resolution photo off the SD card itself.  Also why are you shooting jpg?

You need to be looking at the full size, full resolution images downloaded from the SD card not the tiny thumbnails DJI Go uses.
2018-7-16
Use props
Tony Philbrick
lvl.1

So should I put photos straight from the card onto here? So you all can look at them?
2018-7-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Yes, The photos straight off the card are what we need.

The cache size thumbnails are useless - they're meant to be small and blocky.
2018-7-16
Use props
Tony Philbrick
lvl.1

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/94exr ... odMd8Q2cNXGNza?dl=0
2018-7-16
Use props
MuuSer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5036 ft
  • >>>
Estonia

Tony Philbrick Posted at 2018-7-16 10:00
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/94exrt1enyzdwpz/AABoco-MYu0odMd8Q2cNXGNza?dl=0

Hm - do you use auto settings for taking photo or just adjusted exposure time yourself?
Definitely 1/25 exposure time is too long for merry peoples and you can see that your photo is overexposured...
2018-7-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

OK a few things firstly evident.

Its very very over exposed.
The meta data shows a manually set exposure bias of +2 stops.  If you're using auto exposure make sure you haven;t adjusted that right and wheel.  Ensure EV is 0.  Currently its set to +2.
Or if you're using manual exposure make sure the EV is zero by adjusting the shutter speed before taking the shot.
Also, the shutter speed is low (late evening, low light), made worse by 2 stops over exposure dialled in.  1/25th is going to blur anything moving, and everything if its windy or the drone is moving.
Finally i dont think you pressed to focus on the people, the background trees are in focus.  I think you forgot to tap on the people before taking the shot.
So in summary, i dont see anything wrong other than technique.  Ensure the EV bias is set to zero, make sure you have a sensible shutter speed and tap to focus on the actul subjects before taking a picture.

2018-7-16
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Its looks ok to me. If auto settings are not yielding good results for you, which they usually don't for me, try using manual settings. Since a few updates back the Mavic has been overexposing pictures in auto mode.

I edited your shot a bit to make it look a bit better

2018-7-16
Use props
Tony Philbrick
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you both very much, great advice, i'm off out tomorrow evening to try a few more shots, need the practice clearly so i'll post some more photos.

Thanks again
2018-7-16
Use props
Tony Philbrick
lvl.1

Couple more photos, if someone wouldn't mind having a look.... thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/94exr ... odMd8Q2cNXGNza?dl=0
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules