Lock Mechanism not closing
30787 38 2018-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdb26c173
lvl.1
United States

I just got my DJI Ronin S and after opening the box I wanted to charge the battery.  So I tried to connect the battery to the gimbal to charge it as the USB-C is located on the gimbal.  The Gimbal appears to attach properly but the lock will not move all the way to the left it stops about halfway.  I called support and they say its fine.  That the DJI Ronin S that they have there does not lock all the way.  Every video and every picture including the diagram in the instructions shows the lock completely to the other side when the Gimbal and battery  are connnected.  I have a 1 DX Mark II and its heavy not to mention expensive and I dont want it falling to the ground with the Gimbal and me holding the battery grip thinking I should not have listened to support.  Anyone else having the issue or am I the only one?  If yours locks all the way to the other side and let me know so I can get this exchanged for one that works and will protect my camera properly.

THANKS!!!!!!!
2018-7-16
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

I’ve had my Ronin-S since mid-June and have used it in several shoots.  My lock switch is the same, and it has not been an issue for me.  Although, I do worry about catching on somethin.  I seen this topic mentioned several times, and definitely agree it could be designed much better, if for no other reason than aesthetics.
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry to read on this, do you mean the lever cannot be toggled to the locked position? If yes, please show us a short video, we will help to verify if it is normal, thank you. GTScreenshot_20180717_203444.png
2018-7-17
Use props
fansdb26c173
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-7-17 04:38
We are so sorry to read on this, do you mean the lever cannot be toggled to the locked position? If yes, please show us a short video, we will help to verify if it is normal, thank you.[view_image]

I can send a video and show you what mine looks like but in your diagram where it shows the lock all the way to the left mine is in the middle under the center of the focus knob.

2018-7-17
Use props
fansdb26c173
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-7-17 04:38
We are so sorry to read on this, do you mean the lever cannot be toggled to the locked position? If yes, please show us a short video, we will help to verify if it is normal, thank you.[view_image]

I tried to post a short video but it would not upload. I’m hoping that this picture will suffice. It does show where the lock bar stops and will not completely close. I will still try and add the video but wanted to at least get a picture uploaded.
A8BEC2DF-42B4-4412-879C-0BEC67B94AB9.jpeg
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansdb26c173 Posted at 2018-7-19 05:23
I tried to post a short video but it would not upload. I’m hoping that this picture will suffice. It does show where the lock bar stops and will not completely close. I will still try and add the video but wanted to at least get a picture uploaded.

Sorry for my late response, I have verified with our engineers it is OK if the lever cannot move all the way to the left, as long as it is locked tightly. No worries.
2018-7-23
Use props
VideoguyHI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353471 ft
United States

I noticed that when the locking mechanism is set to unlock that the silver piece that lock the battery to the gimbal head is NOT flush. Im wondering if this piece was loosened a bit that the locking lever would be closer to flush when in the locked position.  Is there an easy way or proper way to fix that without having to send that in?  here are photos of my ronin in the locked and unlocked positions.

IMG_5401.JPG
IMG_5401.JPG
2018-9-14
Use props
VideoguyHI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353471 ft
United States

sorry... photos didn't load properly. Here are the others:
Also... looks like i need to do some cleaning

unlocked 2

unlocked 2

locked 1

locked 1

locked 2

locked 2
2018-9-14
Use props
ECSF
New

Having the same problem. Mine locks less than 1/2 way. Does anyone else’s lock similar?
2018-9-14
Use props
mogman
New
United States

Just got one today and mine does the same thing. Seems to be an engineering issue from the way I look it. This type of lever that I've used in the past would lock all the way and bottom out to the forward position when articulated to the lock position. Although my battery and gimble seem attached okay, this feels and looks like sloppy engineering.
2018-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ECSF Posted at 2018-9-14 17:55
Having the same problem. Mine locks less than 1/2 way. Does anyone else’s lock similar?

Hi ECSF, please make sure the battery and the gimbal are locked tight enough, it is fine that the lever cannot move all the way to the left, please don't worry.
2018-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

mogman Posted at 2018-9-28 11:02
Just got one today and mine does the same thing. Seems to be an engineering issue from the way I look it. This type of lever that I've used in the past would lock all the way and bottom out to the forward position when articulated to the lock position. Although my battery and gimble seem attached okay, this feels and looks like sloppy engineering.

Hi mogman, please check my post in 11#, thank you.
2018-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

VideoguyHI Posted at 2018-9-14 14:44
sorry... photos didn't load properly. Here are the others:
Also... looks like i need to do some cleaning

Hi VideoguyHI, sorry for the late response, please reply to one of the admin's post so that we can receive the notification and reply in time.
There is no need to worry about it, it will move along with the lever, you just need to make sure the gimbal has been locked tightly, thank you.
2018-9-29
Use props
Noble33
New
United States

I just bought my DJI Ronin S and I'm having the exact same issue. It is locked tightly but the lever as right around 50% closed. This makes me very uncomfortable - If the lever were to catch on something and be pushed to unlocked during a shoot, the results could be catastrophic. Is this a defect or are all units like this? Is there anyway I can fix this? I would feel so much more comfortable if I could push the lever fully closed/locked. Thanks!
2018-12-12
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

Looking at the mounts corse thread and how it acts to pull the lever clamp up I can understand why they are all slightly different, if the thread was cut by CNC they would all be the same, but DJI look to be using a rolled thread and as such there could be slight variations in where the threads start and end, in other words some may close and open in slightly different places, even a small amount on the thread could look far more at the lever, the main point to know is no matter where the lever ends as long as it pulls tight the clamp can not slide loose, I guess there are a hundred other ways DJI could have done it but I am sure they know best, I would have liked to have seen a safety pin like what is used in the top clamp but hay ho...
2018-12-13
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

Same here. Only 50% at most. But it is locked tight and there are no issues.
2018-12-26
Use props
djiuser_rFovhKSpLYOm
New

New Zealand

Just received one of these at work with the same issue.
This is completely a manufacturing/construction defect, but is pretty easy to fix.
Will require a 2mm hex/allen key.

Not surprised at DJI dismissing this as not an isssue, their support has a pretty bad reputation.

1. Unscrew the six screws at the base of the gimbal.

2. lift the lever off the cog and re-position. Be careful of the small spring.
    This will require a bit of adjusting till it grabs snuggly and the lever sits in the correct position once locked.

3. Re-attach base plate with the six screws. Ensure the spring is still sitting inside the cog before assembling.

Took about 5mins to fix.
2019-2-3
Use props
Smackey
New
Flight distance : 5276 ft
United States

djiuser_rFovhKSpLYOm Posted at 2-3 14:19
Just received one of these at work with the same issue.
This is completely a manufacturing/construction defect, but is pretty easy to fix.

Thank you for taking the time to solve this problem and posting easy to follow instruction with photographs.  
2019-2-3
Use props
Fly Gary
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3700285 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_rFovhKSpLYOm Posted at 2-3 14:19

Worked for me also.   At least DJI quality controls is consistent across all their product lines.
2019-2-5
Use props
djiuser_jPaUcUiPKuK1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31289 ft

My Ronin-S locking lever goes all the way till the end. But it is not completely locking the battery tight to the upper part of the gimbal. Softly touching the lever will make my camera slight off the battery part of the gimbal. Luckily I have a quick reaction. But it seems unsafe to use an extension rod ‘cause then I cannot keep my hand on the lever to make sure it will not unlock. So coming back to one the questions in this thread: Is there an easy way to fix it yourself?
2019-9-9
Use props
fans46451bd2
New
India

My ronin sc pan axis lock was broken is there any solution to recover it or it can be possible to use my ronin sc with out lock.
2020-2-6
Use props
rockliffebtconnect.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans46451bd2 Posted at 2-6 22:43
My ronin sc pan axis lock was broken is there any solution to recover it or it can be possible to use my ronin sc with out lock.

Don't you just love DJI (not) I recently got my Ronin and on first set up I almost lost the entire gimbal off the battery because of the bloody awful design flaw. The whole gimbal slipped off the battery. If it wasn't for my quick reactions, the thing would have been a write off. Why the hell would anyone design something that has the potential to be so easily knocked. What bugs me about DJI is that so many of their products have flaws which are brought to their attention by their customers, but they do absolutely nothing about them.
2020-4-11
Use props
Lonnie Wishart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4275 ft
Canada

I just opened my box and started assembling and this is also happening on mine.  Obviously they chose never to fix this issue.  IT is tight.  I am not super happy with the option of pulling the gimbal side apart to try to make it flush.  You would think they would fix this darn issue at the factory for the next round of production. Dang it!
2020-7-17
Use props
JohnBaxter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5709 ft
United States

djiuser_rFovhKSpLYOm Posted at 2019-2-3 14:19

Thanks! This was driving me nuts. Only took about 10 slow, careful minutes with the right tool. I had a micro set of starhead drivers from a Mavic Pro repair kit that came in handy. Thanks Again!
2020-7-19
Use props
Psooch
lvl.1
Canada

Hi guys- I seem to be having the opposite issue- I just purchased my ronin S 14 days ago, and used it once- everything worked great- I had the same issue regarding the locking mechanism not closing all the way- (reading up on it here on the forum brought me some comfort, as the thing didn’t slide around or slip)- BUT now the batter grip wont come off AT ALL. It’s stuck permanently. No amount of force is separating it. What can I do to fix it?? The lock is all the way to “unlock’ and this thing is locked firmly in place. Even a few gentle knocks with a rubber mallet didn’t work.
2020-8-11
Use props
Psooch
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-29 00:06
Hi VideoguyHI, sorry for the late response, please reply to one of the admin's post so that we can receive the notification and reply in time.
There is no need to worry about it, it will move along with the lever, you just need to make sure the gimbal has been locked tightly, thank you.

Hi There! Is there any way you could look into my question above, regarding my Battery being fused to the body? I sent tech support an email already to address this- but having just purchased this for a project- I can't afford to ship the unit out for the next 3 weeks.
2020-8-11
Use props
djiuser_GvxAXTluFfGF
New

Nigeria

Please do you have a solution for a grip that is stuck to the gimbal and won't come off. Thanks.
2020-9-3
Use props
djiuser_GvxAXTluFfGF
New

Nigeria

Please do you have a solution for a grip that is stuck to the gimbal and won't come off. Thanks.
2020-9-3
Use props
Roughsound Njabulo Ndlovu
New

South Africa

Hi Admin

My name is Brian Ndlovu from South Africa i recently bought a ronin S .yesterday i charge it and balanced it for testing when i was done i tried remove a battery  its seem like like the lever is lose the batter is stuck here.i spoke to the supplier i told him i follow all the instruction but he is not helping

Please advice
2020-10-9
Use props
djiuser_vUBIN9cHVLmx
lvl.1
United States

Just purchased one from a Best Buy in CT, USA earlier today (Oct 2020).  This situation has still not been fixed.  Returned it and inspected another off the shelf at the customer service counter and it had the same issue.  Looks like they're not installing the levers in the right position per the picture in the manual and on numerous YouTube reviews and unboxing videos.  Lever seated firm about 1/3 to 1/2 way from the fully open end leaving it sticking straight out right where your fingers would be operating the focus dial.  Disappointed in DJI.  So off to buy a Zhiyun instead tomorrow morning.
2020-10-14
Use props
fans5363ef36
New

United States

I’m trying to open my sc 2 but the lock knob does not unlock and allow the gimbal to unfold
2020-10-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Roughsound Njabulo Ndlovu Posted at 10-9 03:03
Hi Admin

My name is Brian Ndlovu from South Africa i recently bought a ronin S .yesterday i charge it and balanced it for testing when i was done i tried remove a battery  its seem like like the lever is lose the batter is stuck here.i spoke to the supplier i told him i follow all the instruction but he is not helping

Hello Brian, could you please send us any video/photo with us with your issue? We will help to forward it to our engineer for further analyze. Thanks.
2020-10-27
Use props
djiuser_LDU5UXNUoveB
New

United States

Yes I just unboxed my Ronin S and I'm having the same issue. It seems locked even though I can't get the all the way to the left. Has anyone been using there's for a while with the lever not all the way to the left? If so, how has it been? Thanks.
2020-12-20
Use props
mbrooks94
lvl.1
United States

I'd like the throw my hat into the ring. My locks all the way SOMETIMES. the issue for me is that its becoming unlocked by itself. I push it all the way forward and it slowly rolls back and unlocks itself
2021-1-5
Use props
fans53952b07
lvl.1
United States

I purchased a Ronin-S Essentials kit and received it yesterday and it's also only locking halfway.  I can't believe this has been an issue for 2 1/2 years now and DJI still hasn't fixed it!
2021-1-9
Use props
kevfarthing
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11276 ft

United Kingdom

Many thanks for this well documented solution. Took me 5 minutes. The issue people are having with the battery getting stuck is part of the same issue. The lever did not have enough range of movement to release the locking cam. Once the lever is set correctly it releases the cam correctly and allows the battery to come off.
2021-3-17
Use props
djiuser_5kuJnCay8V5y
New

United States

Thank you for this, I was having the 'I can't get the battery off' issue. However, after doing the alignment it now locks all the way and I can much easier get the battery off. Saved me from having to send it out when I used it every weekend.
2021-5-17
Use props
petrovichbrian
New

United States

kevfarthing Posted at 3-17 10:35
Many thanks for this well documented solution. Took me 5 minutes. The issue people are having with the battery getting stuck is part of the same issue. The lever did not have enough range of movement to release the locking cam. Once the lever is set correctly it releases the cam correctly and allows the battery to come off.

Thank you for this info, but any idea of I can get the battery off so i can do this fix?  Mine is stuck and won't come off.
Thank you
Brian
2021-6-21
Use props
djiuser_bi9WT5KcXlEO
New

United States

I know its a late reply on an old thread but this worked for me!!! Thank you so much!!!
2022-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules