400 FT
14614 14 2015-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mgstalder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 856650 ft

United States

Can you explain the 400 Ft elevation limitation to me in more detail?

i have interest in shooting a valley with mountains on one side of the target area.

if i take off from the top of the mountain i assume i could go 400 feet above that point.  however, what happens when i move from above the mountain to the valley (say 600 feet below)?  will the drone automatically drop to 400 ft above the valley?   if so, what happens when i want to return to land?  in otherwords, what is the 400 Ft. calcualtion based upon?  the location of the controller or the actual drone?

thanks in advance,
2015-5-21
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

400ft AGL, or Above Ground Level is a standard measurement for pilots. So you are correct when you say you can be on top of a mountain and go 400ft above your take off point as that's the key thing, 400ft AGL.

Think of an aircraft flying down a valley at 500ft AGL, which is the minimum as a general rule, could be 400ft above the valley floor but have 2000ft mountains on either side of him, but he's 500ft AGL in the valley.

2015-5-21
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I believe it's 400 meters, I have flown out over cliffs where I took off above the valley and had no problems. If you go below the point you took off from, your altimeter will read negative numbers but it won't effect flight. RTH will go to what ever height you set ABOVE where you took off. in my experience anyway   
2015-5-21
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
United Kingdom

Fred D Posted at 2015-5-21 20:30
I believe it's 400 meters, I have flown out over cliffs where I took off above the valley and had no ...

The 400 ft AGL (120m AGL) rule is that imposed by the UK CAA aimed at keeping RPA a 100ft below the minimal operating height for manned aircraft (500ft AGL).
2015-5-21
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

I think we need to make a clarification here. The Inspire is capable of flying 400 METERS above ground (AGL); limited by firmware. The Ceiling altitude is 4500 METERS; that is the altitude, above which the lower air density does not allow the props to make sufficient lift to maintain altitude; limited by physics. The 400 FOOT rule is from the United States FAA, and the UK CAA; you are limited by regulations. Certainly there are mountainous areas where the minimum safe altitude for aircraft is much higher than 400 feet AGL because of surrounding terrain. I think you might consult the appropriate agency's website to try and get more details in the are you intend to fly. Permits may be needed.
2015-5-21
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Rbimd Posted at 2015-5-21 23:13
I think we need to make a clarification here. The Inspire is capable of flying 400 METERS above grou ...

Almost spot on Rbimd.  500 Metres AGL is the altitude cap enforced by the firmware.

Jason
2015-5-21
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

You cannot fly any unmaned aircraft over 500 ft agl because that is the lower limit for planes and other man driving craft. The inspire 1 limit of 400 ft agl try to avoid letting you to go over 400ft, but if you take off at the top of a mountain and drive your bird to a lower terrain, then you may be over de 500 ft limit because the inspire 1 limit is from the take off point. Then, you can be flying against the law.
2015-5-21
Use props
MGS
lvl.1

United States

capalvch@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-22 08:27
You cannot fly any unmaned aircraft over 500 ft agl because that is the lower limit for planes and o ...

Ok thanks everyone.  Let me restate my question another way

Hypothetically if i were to fly my bird from the rim of the Grand Canyon over the edge - what would happen?  (There are many drops more than 400 ft).  Would the bird automatically drop to 400 feet above the canyon floor?   I can't imagine that would happen - how would i ever get it back over the edge to the rim (where i hypothetically took off from).  

Tx
2015-5-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

MGS Posted at 2015-5-22 09:37
Ok thanks everyone.  Let me restate my question another way

Hypothetically if i were to fly my bi ...

No, the bird will go over the cliff and hover there, even though there's a drop of 1000 feet it will still read at 6 feet.   
You can then drop the bird down as you see fit and will have a negative altitude reading, which has no maximum so drop 1000 feet if you like.  

Then climb 1000 feet and when you reach the top of the cliff your altitude will read 6 feet again.   Then you can go up another 400 feet if you like.

Basically the Inspire doesn't know you are at a cliff's edge, it just measures the difference between where you started and where you currently are, positive or negative
2015-5-21
Use props
MGS
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-22 09:59
No, the bird will go over the cliff and hover there, even though there's a drop of 1000 feet it wil ...

perfect - thanks Jim - that is what I was looking for.
2015-5-25
Use props
kmbit
lvl.1

United States

MGS Posted at 2015-5-25 03:34
perfect - thanks Jim - that is what I was looking for.

of course it should be said that if you were to land your bird down by the river - and take off again - that would then reset the starting altitude so not something you would want to do -  or you would be in for a long hike to get it back.   Hypothetically that is :-)
2017-1-26
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

kmbit Posted at 2017-1-26 13:42
of course it should be said that if you were to land your bird down by the river - and take off again - that would then reset the starting altitude so not something you would want to do -  or you would be in for a long hike to get it back.   Hypothetically that is :-)

Just a friendly reminder that these are some really old Post you are replying to.  You may be resoponding to a member who is no longer active or the topic has been resolved.  

Just a reminder from you friendly neighborhood  donnieman

donnie
2017-1-26
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-26 13:47
Just a friendly reminder that these are some really old Post you are replying to.  You may be resoponding to a member who is no longer active or the topic has been resolved.  

and some really old posters... just like donnie!

I have read somewhere that donnie is a robot and replys to every post and he does not exist as a real person....lol
2017-1-26
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-1-26 18:52
and some really old posters... just like donnie!

I have read somewhere that donnie is a robot and replys to every post and he does not exist as a real person....lol

don't tell anyone , It will be our secret

donnie. aka R2D2
2017-1-27
Use props
kmbit
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-26 13:47

I see that now - I will be more aware of old posts ( but I'm an old poster too )
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules