HDMI Module
1203 11 2018-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

I am running a P4P with iPad Mini 4 (no cellular)  Quick question about Live Streaming.  I want to stream the camera view to a laptop (Win10) PC near the RC.  Looks like the HDMI module is the tool I would need.  Questions:
1) Does the laptop need to be tethered to the controller with and HDMI cable? (thinking yes)
2) Have any of you done this and how well does it work?  Is it pretty much plug and play?
3) Worth the $99 price tag?
Any feedback greatly appreciated...thanks all

(I know there are a bunch of threads out there about Live Streaming but most of it is well aged).   
2018-7-17
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you need to connect an HDMI cable between the HDMI Output Module and the device that'll be displaying the live video.

2) I've used the HDMI Output Module with various goggles. It takes about 5 minutes to install the module (see this video) and then it's plug and play after that point.

3) It's the only way to connect an HDMI cable to the remote controller.
2018-7-17
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

msinger Posted at 2018-7-17 04:03

1) Yes, you need to connect an HDMI cable between the HDMI Output Module and the device that'll be displaying the live video.

Thanks msinger,  one more question:  Do you need this module to connect the DJI goggles to the controller?  If not, can I run the iPad mini as per normal and also have another person looking through the googles in a monitor mode?  (no FPV)  
2018-7-17
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

msinger Posted at 2018-7-17 04:03

I just watched a video about the HDMI outputs.  I think I get the picture now.  My stock standard P4P controller does not have HDMI out so I need the module.  If my iPad 4 mini had an HDMI out I could use that.  If I use a USB on the controller then no iPad at the same time.  Sound right?
2018-7-17
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-7-17 04:34
Thanks msinger,  one more question:  Do you need this module to connect the DJI goggles to the controller?  If not, can I run the iPad mini as per normal and also have another person looking through the googles in a monitor mode?  (no FPV)

If you have the send module. You can use the USB connection for the Goggles but lose the tablet.
If you have the HDMI Module you can use both. Or also use 2 goggles.
Cheers
2018-7-17
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Looks like the laptop isn't going to work.  I was hoping there was a way to make that happen.  (unless I am missing something)
Update:  To use the laptop I would also need an HDMI capture card or module for the computer.  Total price for the luxury of viewing on computer and tablet about $400
ouch!   
2018-7-17
Use props
Joe D.
lvl.2

Are you wanting the laptop so you can steam live? When I had my P3P and wanted to stream from my iPad Mini 3 (no cellular) I would connect using my iPhone's Personal Hotspot feature. When I got my P4P I upgraded to an iPad Mini 4 with cellular. It makes it so much easier to stream and get authorizations.

Good luck
2018-7-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Laptops are normally HDMI OUT not IN, bear that in mind!!!
2018-7-18
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-18 21:04
Laptops are normally HDMI OUT not IN, bear that in mind!!!

yep. thats where that extra $300 comes in.  Basically I have to convert the output of the RC to HDMI out with a HDMI module and then add an HDMI input to the PC.   You would think there would be a better way....DJI!  
2018-7-19
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

Joe D. Posted at 2018-7-18 17:42
Are you wanting the laptop so you can steam live? When I had my P3P and wanted to stream from my iPad Mini 3 (no cellular) I would connect using my iPhone's Personal Hotspot feature. When I got my P4P I upgraded to an iPad Mini 4 with cellular. It makes it so much easier to stream and get authorizations.

Good luck

I know your solution would work but that means adding an extra line on my cellular account.    I think its funny that both units have USB ports so usable hardware is there.  Just no code to let them talk. You would think that the big bloated DJIGO4 app could accommodate that.
2018-7-19
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

You might want to take a look at Litchi View. That allows you to see both from different machines. I have tried it briefly myself using it to broadcast to some goggles and it worked as it says on the tin. Have a look here
https://phantompilots.com/threads/litchi-vue-streaming.92201/
and here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ... i/id1160758897?mt=8
2018-7-19
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer

United States

From what I am seeing, both devices need to be IOS.  
The thing that I dont understand is why DJI would arrange the goggles to work with USB but then that disables the tablet display.  Its not even legal to fly that way in the US unless you have another person (visual observer) watching the AC.  I am not a USB guru but that seems to be very do-able with a software switch.
2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules