flying inside......
1414 20 2018-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lwa11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123898 ft
United States

If I wanted to fly inside at an ice arena to film a nice new sheet of ice and logos. What your recommendations be for settings on the drone and for the camera/video?
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. thank you for reaching DJI forum. I do not recommend you to fly the DJI indoors. It is an outdoor drone and it might cause damage once you are not able to control the Drone properly.
2018-7-17
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin - Shame on you! - !!

You can fly inside, switch to "atti" mode or use gps with vision mode - turn RTH to HOVER - v important! and fly SLOWLY!! when inside as the drone wont stop the same in ATTI mode it will slide into the wall just like an ice puk !! - If your not careful !

As for settings just leave it on automatic as you will have your hands full with flying!!

PS have a practice first flying in atti mode on a CALM day outside its quite a different experince.

2018-7-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I think what DJI Paladin is referring to is the bouncing of the RF signals off the walls, ceiling, and deck which could cause wave shift problems resulting in perceived interference and possible loss of control.  
2018-7-17
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No it will be perfectly fine inside! Trust me I've done it! - Just practice ATTI flying its very different to the instant hold/brake you get in GPS mode.
2018-7-17
Use props
lwa11
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help.
2018-7-17
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, I wouldn't fly a Phantom indoors.  I'd use my Mavic Air.
2018-7-17
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Brazil

Let us know if it works I'm curious......LOL
2018-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-17 12:16
Personally, I wouldn't fly a Phantom indoors.  I'd use my Mavic Air.

I would use the Phantom over the mavic for indoor work any day if the week, at least you can choose ATTI mode on the Phantom, with the mavic you cannot and even though it may  start off in atti, it could find a low lock and whoopsy, nearest wall, here i come
2018-7-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

If a "Ice Arena" is how i understand, the place for skating and hockey then be very careful if using ATTI mode as there might be vents blowing air around from different directions.
Better try using P-OPTI, that is what it is for, indoor with bad or no GPS coverage. Test out carefully and remember it only is good to around 10m and maybe will act strange due to the ice below, also have in mind you have no side sensors unless you use the tripod mode.
2018-7-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-17 06:56
Hi. thank you for reaching DJI forum. I do not recommend you to fly the DJI indoors. It is an outdoor drone and it might cause damage once you are not able to control the Drone properly.

What is that for an answer, did you read the manual?

"The flight controller has been updated to provide a safer, more reliable flight experience.
A new flight recorder stores critical data from each flight. A system of visual sensors enhance hovering precision when flying indoors or in environments where GPS is unavailable.
"

The only issue flying indoor is when getting to close to the ash-bucket beside the stove or the ashtray on the table, what a mess it can make ...
2018-7-18
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I would also take into concideration (im not sure if aplicable) your take off point may have a strong magnetic field under it this could effect compass and could cause errors.
Like i said not sure if applicable as i dont fly indoors.
2018-7-18
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-18 00:00
If a "Ice Arena" is how i understand, the place for skating and hockey then be very careful if using ATTI mode as there might be vents blowing air around from different directions.
Better try using P-OPTI, that is what it is for, indoor with bad or no GPS coverage. Test out carefully and remember it only is good to around 10m and maybe will act strange due to the ice below, also have in mind you have no side sensors unless you use the tripod mode.

I would think that the iced surface would be a big no no for flying optical...  mostly whitish and no structure...
2018-7-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-7-18 02:56
I would think that the iced surface would be a big no no for flying optical...  mostly whitish and no structure...

Agreed but still a better chance for some stability than going straight to ATTI, i think
There would normally be some lines and different spots under the ice so if drifting it should get something to hold on to sooner or later in Opti mode.
2018-7-18
Use props
lwa11
lvl.2
United States

Well....I think I will wait on trying it. I was just thinking it could offer some new news for the arena and maybe eventually generate an untouched revenue stream. I was thinking down the road when I get my certification but sounds like it would be easier to crash than get great shots.  hhmmm...... will have to give it a lot of thought before I ever try it. This is exactly why I asked the question though so thank you everyone for your input.
2018-7-18
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

lwa11 Posted at 2018-7-18 03:55
Well....I think I will wait on trying it. I was just thinking it could offer some new news for the arena and maybe eventually generate an untouched revenue stream. I was thinking down the road when I get my certification but sounds like it would be easier to crash than get great shots.  hhmmm...... will have to give it a lot of thought before I ever try it. This is exactly why I asked the question though so thank you everyone for your input.

You can fly indoors especially in a wide open skating arena but yes be careful if there's blowing vents etc or getting too close to any ceiling structures.

It'll be on atti-mode which is fine if your a skilled pilot and even if your're skilled, you need to keep a close eye on the drone at all times - not the device.

In my opinion, I'd rather fly the P4P indoors then say MP.

2018-7-18
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

lwa11 Posted at 2018-7-18 03:55
Well....I think I will wait on trying it. I was just thinking it could offer some new news for the arena and maybe eventually generate an untouched revenue stream. I was thinking down the road when I get my certification but sounds like it would be easier to crash than get great shots.  hhmmm...... will have to give it a lot of thought before I ever try it. This is exactly why I asked the question though so thank you everyone for your input.

Just put prop guards on before flying inside.
Wide open area like skating hall is no problem to fly inside.
These are taken inside with Mavic pro and the only thing missing is ATTI mode.
Pictures and video taken inside.
2018-7-18
Use props
lwa11
lvl.2
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-7-18 05:56
Just put prop guards on before flying inside.
Wide open area like skating hall is no problem to fly inside.
These are taken inside with Mavic pro and the only thing missing is ATTI mode.

Thank you G_Sig. The video I looked at is actually in a similar place to a rink but the rink would be even more wide open.

I am just going to practice till I feel full control in atti mode. Then I will give it a go.

I see you use Google Drive for storage..is it expensive?

What are you using to edit videos?
2018-7-18
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

lwa11 Posted at 2018-7-18 10:19
Thank you G_Sig. The video I looked at is actually in a similar place to a rink but the rink would be even more wide open.

I am just going to practice till I feel full control in atti mode. Then I will give it a go.

Practice atti mode it time well spent as one day you will need it and it can save your drone from being  lost.
Google Drive is free up to 15 GB and $1.99 a month for 100 GB.
Normally I don't edit video or photos.
2018-7-18
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-17 06:56
Hi. thank you for reaching DJI forum. I do not recommend you to fly the DJI indoors. It is an outdoor drone and it might cause damage once you are not able to control the Drone properly.

It's time for you to watch the DJI promotional videos that came with the P4Ps introduction!
There was one emphasizing indoor flying and flying from indoors to outdoors.
2018-7-18
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Learning Atti flying is always good.
But you won't need it in your situation if you have the downward positioning on and don't fly beyond 10m height.

In P-Opti the drone stays rock solid in the air.
I have good experience even in not ideal light situations.
And above my uni color non-structured carpet ;-)

2018-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules