Spark and image quality
12Next >
16025 40 2018-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

Hi, I have a question for you. How is it that my cheap Xiaomi Note 4X ($100) phone takes way better images than my new DJI Spark($680)? Images from Spark are blurry AND oversharpen! It depends on a certain part of an image. Look at the attached image below (taken not from the air but simply from the window). You can see the original image resized and two parts at 100% resolution. You can also download archives with full resolution images here:

The first archive is from Spark, the second is from my cell phone (just to compare the quality). There is no postproduction on these images.

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... MlPjE1lp4UApVtpHyc4
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 4vRGLhRzWu9fHGL-qfw
Thank you!

mDJI_0081.jpg

100% bottom part (blurry)

100% bottom part (blurry)

100% middle part (oversharpen)

100% middle part (oversharpen)
2018-7-17
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Slow shutter shot of a dark area by a moving/vibrating drone?  Take a sunny landscape shot.  You might just have more processing power available to convert the sensor data on the phone.  I think the processor on the drone is mostly flying the drone.
2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-17 08:15
Slow shutter shot of a dark area by a moving/vibrating drone?  Take a sunny landscape shot.  You might just have more processing power available to convert the sensor data on the phone.  I think the processor on the drone is mostly flying the drone.

nope - sorry to disappoint you, but as I mentioned - I took that picture from my window - it is not from the air. It is impossible for the picture to be blurred only on certain parts when the drone is sitting on the window - besides it is a sunny day and the shutter speed is 1/200 (and yes, I can understand shutter speed, aperture, and ISO). It is not just on this picture. Also, about processing image - I can understand that the picture is not e.g. HDR, but common! Fokus? It has nothing to do with image processing!
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. You can actually use your DJI Go application to adjust the camera settings on your spark. Just switch the button to manual settings so for you to be able to adjust it. Go to DJI Go 4 >> click camera settings >> click the first icon on the top left corner >> switch button from auto to manual. Please see the attached image below for reference. Thank you.

2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-17 08:30
Hi there. You can actually use your DJI Go application to adjust the camera settings on your spark. Just switch the button to manual settings so for you to be able to adjust it. Go to DJI Go 4 >> click camera settings >> click the first icon on the top left corner >> switch button from auto to manual. Please see the attached image below for reference. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hi, sorry to disappoint you, but I shoot pictures only on Manual settings - so Yes, those pictures were taken with manual settings. Still, I see no point in your advice - there is no setting for focus (not like on mavic) so all I can do is to change shutter speed and ISO and - as I mentioned - it has no effect in this case. It is 1/200s and the drone is sitting on the window! Not in the air, not moving. The picture should be sharp everywhere.
2018-7-17
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 08:26
nope - sorry to disappoint you, but as I mentioned - I took that picture from my window - it is not from the air. It is impossible for the picture to be blurred only on certain parts when the drone is sitting on the window - besides it is a sunny day and the shutter speed is 1/200 (and yes, I can understand shutter speed, aperture, and ISO). It is not just on this picture. Also, about processing image - I can understand that the picture is not e.g. HDR, but common! Fokus? It has nothing to do with image processing!

Then it isn't motion blur.  However, it is a shadowed picture exposed for the dark areas so not the same as a sunny scene.  Yes, the speed seems fine to avoid motion blur in this case and the camera was mounted/tripod.  

As far as image processing, I will inform Canon and Sony they are wasting time with their dedicated Digic 8 coders.  A cheap drone microprocessor can do the job for them on the side while flying/navigating/maintaining data links.  The sensor reads the light.  The Digic 8 processor assembles the picture.  
2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-17 08:45
Then it isn't motion blur.  However, it is a shadowed picture exposed for the dark areas so not the same as a sunny scene.  Yes, the speed seems fine to avoid motion blur in this case and the camera was mounted/tripod.  

As far as image processing, I will inform Canon and Sony they are wasting time with their dedicated Digic 8 coders.  A cheap drone microprocessor can do the job for them on the side while flying/navigating/maintaining data links.  The sensor reads the light.  The Digic 8 processor assembles the picture.

very funny - where do you see me mentioning DSLRs or mirrorless cameras? But let them know. Please! I compared it with a cheap cell phone. The sensor, in this case, could be similar. And if it is your way of saying "do not expect decent results from cheap drone" than ok. Do not bother replying.
2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

I can give you another example. From one picture taken at 1/1600s different parts of the image has a different focus. Again, on the bottom of that image, it is the worst:

other parts are ok:
2018-7-17
Use props
Steelospeed
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Speaking from a landscape photographers point of view, once you get over the quirks of the Sparks camera, and by certainly NOT pixel peeping and expecting everything to be great at 100%+ it's actually quite a capable camera once you get used to it's small foibles.
2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

Steelospeed Posted at 2018-7-17 08:59
Speaking from a landscape photographers point of view, once you get over the quirks of the Sparks camera, and by certainly NOT pixel peeping and expecting everything to be great at 100%+ it's actually quite a capable camera once you get used to it's small foibles.

ok, THANK you. Finally someone sensible. All I wanted to know is, whether it is normal (unfortunately) or I just have a bad one. I have seen similar problems with the Mavic and it usually was a faulty unit.
2018-7-17
Use props
Steelospeed
lvl.2

United Kingdom

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 09:07
ok, THANK you. Finally someone sensible. All I wanted to know is, whether it is normal (unfortunately) or I just have a bad one. I have seen similar problems with the Mavic and it usually was a faulty unit.

I've found mine to be very similar, but for a fixed focus, fixed aperture camera, it's perfectly useable.  I'm actually going to send away an image for printing at A3 size to see how it fares up, I'm not expecting great results to be honest, but then I never bought the Spark for it to suddenly become my main camera in my kit.  It's great for small videos or images to post to Social Media and the likes, but as far as photography using the Spark goes, Social Media posts would be the limit for me personally.

if you bought it solely for photography, I think you need either one of the Mavics which are acceptable to a certain point or the P4Pro which has a 'proper' camera on it.

2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

Steelospeed Posted at 2018-7-17 09:13
I've found mine to be very similar, but for a fixed focus, fixed aperture camera, it's perfectly useable.  I'm actually going to send away an image for printing at A3 size to see how it fares up, I'm not expecting great results to be honest, but then I never bought the Spark for it to suddenly become my main camera in my kit.  It's great for small videos or images to post to Social Media and the likes, but as far as photography using the Spark goes, Social Media posts would be the limit for me personally.

if you bought it solely for photography, I think you need either one of the Mavics which are acceptable to a certain point or the P4Pro which has a 'proper' camera on it.

It is true, that on videos the problem is not so visible due to cropping to 1080p - so I notice that on photos only. Thank you for solving my dilemma! I am probably too much of a perfectionist. If only they added a RAW support I would feel content But I'm afraid that is not gonna happen. Thanks.
2018-7-17
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 08:50
very funny - where do you see me mentioning DSLRs or mirrorless cameras? But let them know. Please! I compared it with a cheap cell phone. The sensor, in this case, could be similar. And if it is your way of saying "do not expect decent results from cheap drone" than ok. Do not bother replying.

The amount of sensor data processing power available on the phone is far more than what is available on the Spark.  The processors, and resources put into them by  Canon and Sony, of DSLR's shows how processing power is a large part of the quality of digital photo path.  

I don't think the sensor and lens of the cell phone are better than the drone but it makes up for it in image sensor data processing power that the drone can't provide.
2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-17 09:29
The amount of sensor data processing power available on the phone is far more than what is available on the Spark.  The processors, and resources put into them by  Canon and Sony, of DSLR's shows how processing power is a large part of the quality of digital photo path.  

I don't think the sensor and lens of the cell phone are better than the drone but it makes up for it in image sensor data processing power that the drone can't provide.

Yes, and I am still saying, that it has nothing to do with focus. Especially, when only left bottom part is out of focus and the rest is more or less ok. Sorry, but IMHO it just has nothing to do with processing.
2018-7-17
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 09:26
It is true, that on videos the problem is not so visible due to cropping to 1080p - so I notice that on photos only. Thank you for solving my dilemma! I am probably too much of a perfectionist. If only they added a RAW support I would feel content  But I'm afraid that is not gonna happen. Thanks.

The Price of the Spark is just like the Price of a Crop Sensor Camera. Crop Sensor DSLR Resolution is not good for Pixel Peeping too, it may give you some Depth of Field, but the Spark gives you a Different Perspective. What do you pretend from a Drone Camera Lens Smaller than a 5c of a Euro, and a Small Onboard Sensor ?

If you are a Perfectionist and need some Extra MegaPixels (Maybe a Good 100 MegaPixel ?) why don't you look at - DJI Drone for Perfectionists ?

If you can Afford the Rolex, you can Afford the Hasselblad.

2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-17 09:47
The Price of the Spark is just like the Price of a Crop Sensor Camera. Crop Sensor DSLR Resolution is not good for Pixel Peeping too, it may give you some Depth of Field, but the Spark gives you a Different Perspective. What do you pretend from a Drone Camera Lens Smaller than a 5c of a Euro, and a Small Onboard Sensor ?

If you are a Perfectionist and need some Extra MegaPixels (Maybe a Good 100 MegaPixel ?) why don't you look at - DJI Drone for Perfectionists ?  

nice, totally off, but nice. You should know better than to judge people by their avatars. I have chosen a random image - and in this case, it is a skin for an android watch! You are just another person who completely missed the point. Which was "Is my Spark normal or faulty?" And yeah, I was a bit upset about the fact, that a cheapo phone can produce better photos. Big sorry for that...
2018-7-17
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 10:03
nice, totally off, but nice. You should know better than to judge people by their avatars. I have chosen a random image - and in this case, it is a skin for an android watch! You are just another person who completely missed the point. Which was "Is my Spark normal or faulty?" And yeah, I was a bit upset about the fact, that a cheapo phone can produce better photos. Big sorry for that...

You get for what you pay Buddy. If you have money you can get another better drone. Don't expect miracle from a $400 Drone.

I both a Tello costing $100, which don't even have a Gimbal, the Video is Horrible, but its fun for Flying. I saw really good work from Pilots using the Spark. Most Images are used in Social Media nowadays not for Billboards or Commercial Adverts or Big Blow Ups.

I work as a Graphics Designer so I do understand your Point. But with that Money you won't start in getting a Professional Output. A Full Frame Camera Body Only to give good results you have to spend over $1500 - $2000 to get a Decent One, and still they have Pros and Cons.

For Professional Grade, buy Professional Grade.

I fly Drones mostly as a Hobby, sometimes Commercially with my MPP. I bought the Spark as a Starter Drone, yet still I find it very capable. Its a matter of Opinion after all. If you are after Pixels and Resolution, the Spark is not made for you mate. Buy some High End Drone.

2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-17 10:12
You get for what you pay Buddy. If you have money you can get another better drone. Don't expect miracle from a $400 Drone.

I both a Tello costing $100, which don't even have a Gimbal, the Video is Horrible, but its fun for Flying. I saw really good work from Pilots using the Spark. Most Images are used in Social Media nowadays not for Billboards or Commercial Adverts or Big Blow Ups.

Let agree to disagree It is not about pixel hunting. It is just strange to have a different focus in different parts of the otherwise focused image. That is all. Never seen that before - on a cell phone or camera.
2018-7-17
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 10:27
Let agree to disagree  It is not about pixel hunting. It is just strange to have a different focus in different parts of the otherwise focused image. That is all. Never seen that before - on a cell phone or camera.

I can't follow what you are saying, but you are Right !
2018-7-17
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

The lens acts very funny on the spark depending on the light causing many problems. There is no room for cropping an image, so make sure you are happy with your frame before taking a picture.
2018-7-17
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

From all the photos you produced it is quite possible you have a defective camera.
I have not seen anything like that on my processing.
And you cannot compare a phone camera to a drone camera.
Can the phone fly without throwing it?
2018-7-17
Use props
flying-pancake
lvl.1
Czechia

ok guys, let me give you another two pictures right from the camera - full res:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... nohuvpth9pbqZMu_Ryy
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... RbLsDL6R8aBQ8_Z172m

normal or faulty? thx
2018-7-17
Use props
Steelospeed
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Looks normal to me, probably even slightly better than mine, however I've still produced some ok images...

The River Esk, Longtown, Cumbria by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Eilean Donan Castle by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Bow Fiddle Rock by Martin Steele, on Flickr

There is no point whatsoever pixel peeping on something that is effectively a 12mp, fixed focus and aperture flying 'camera' you just have to get used to it.  I took me a while to adjust to the IQ considering my main cameras are a pair of 42mp Sony A7rii's!
2018-7-17
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Steelospeed Posted at 2018-7-17 11:48
Looks normal to me, probably even slightly better than mine, however I've still produced some ok images...

[view_image]The River Esk, Longtown, Cumbria by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Incredible Pictures ! Really Beautiful !
2018-7-17
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-17 11:28
From all the photos you produced it is quite possible you have a defective camera.
I have not seen anything like that on my processing.
And you cannot compare a phone camera to a drone camera.

That Picture is EPIC PMShop ! I saw it some time ago and it Amazes Me !

Really Good Capture, even though its from a Video it looks Amazing !

2018-7-17
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

For you these are Ugly ?

I think they are Very Nice !
2018-7-17
Use props
Steelospeed
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-17 11:52
Incredible Pictures ! Really Beautiful !

Thanks dude
2018-7-17
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

You really Got Talent Steelo, really LOVE YOUR WORK !

2018-7-17
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 11:43
ok guys, let me give you another two pictures right from the camera - full res:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XxsZNGqCg48Mhnohuvpth9pbqZMu_Ryy
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NjDBgqoeSfKH-RbLsDL6R8aBQ8_Z172m

When you open from the Google Drive and hit the + mag 3 times, looks perfect on both pictures.
2018-7-17
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

flying-pancake Posted at 2018-7-17 10:27
Let agree to disagree  It is not about pixel hunting. It is just strange to have a different focus in different parts of the otherwise focused image. That is all. Never seen that before - on a cell phone or camera.

What you mean by "out of focus" is "lack of sharpness". That threw me off a couple of times since you're talking about a fixed-focus camera.

You might have a point, but I will never enlarge a photo to that extent, so it's too insignificant for me. If I want super big photos, I can shoot panoramas, and guess which crappy, partly out of focus drone does that?
2018-7-17
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

But the $ 100 phone can not fly
2018-7-17
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

but can your phone fly? you are still new to it watch some tutorial on youtube on the camera setting  
2018-7-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-7-17 14:02
But the $ 100 phone can not fly

yup agree with that
2018-7-18
Use props
Marry Anderson
lvl.1

Ukraine

Recently, I also found an article about choosing a camera for traveling http://fixthephoto.com/best-travel-camera.html, this is important for me since I love to take pictures while traveling!
2019-1-30
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Marry Anderson Posted at 1-30 12:23
Recently, I also found an article about choosing a camera for traveling http://fixthephoto.com/best-travel-camera.html, this is important for me since I love to take pictures while traveling!

what it's for?
2019-1-30
Use props
King_Kaif
lvl.1

Bangladesh

For best photo editing you can choose  Fixipixi
2019-2-15
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

King_Kaif Posted at 2-15 22:29
And what's wrong with Adobe Lightroom?
2019-2-15
Use props
haldey
lvl.1

King_Kaif Posted at 2-15 22:29

Honestly, Fixipixi, I honestly know better it's retouchme <a href="https://retouchme.com/service/red-eye-remover/">link</a> analog - really high-quality and time-tested, like Photoshop or Adobe. And all sorts of new editors are most often so-so because there is not much testing and a large team.
2019-9-16
Use props
King_Kaif
lvl.1

Bangladesh

You don't know fixipixi photo retouching servicequality. You can try their service.https://fixipixi.com/
2020-11-11
Use props
King_Kaif
lvl.1

Bangladesh

FixiPixi is best photo editing service  
2020-11-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules