Charging the Mavic Air remote control
12399 14 2018-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larryc43230
lvl.4
Flight distance : 664534 ft

Please forgive the possibly dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere in the manual or other documentation.

Can I charge the Mavic Air's remote control using a USB cable (standard USB to MicroUSB) connected to a standard USB wall charger? With the proper cable, is the AC power adapter that came with the drone really necessary?

Larry
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for the inquiry. I would like to clarify if you want to charge your Mavic Air's remote control like the way on how you charge your mobile device?
2018-7-17
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-17 13:50
Hi. Thank you for the inquiry. I would like to clarify if you want to charge your Mavic Air's remote control like the way on how you charge your mobile device?

Essentially, yes. Can the Mavic Air's remote control be charged the same way I charge other devices, like cell phones and tablets, that require only a USB cable connected to a small USB wall charger?

Larry
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you. I do not recommend to do that process for reliability and safety purposes. That process might damage the DJI Mavic Air's Remote Controller.
2018-7-17
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

To be honest I have never tried to use another charger other than the one that came with Mavic Air. I could imagine however, that normal mobile phone or tablet chargers are simply too weak to do the job. Regarding the cable, you can definitely use any standard USB to Micro USB cable.
2018-7-17
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-17 14:10
Thank you. I do not recommend to do that process for reliability and safety purposes. That process might damage the DJI Mavic Air's Remote Controller.

Thanks. I'll continue to use the "official" adapter and charger that came with the drone. It simply would have been more convenient, in a pinch, to use a standard USB charger.

Larry
2018-7-17
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-17 14:22
To be honest I have never tried to use another charger other than the one that came with Mavic Air. I could imagine however, that normal mobile phone or tablet chargers are simply too weak to do the job. Regarding the cable, you can definitely use any standard USB to Micro USB cable.

Based on the response from the DJI rep, I'll continue using the adapter/charger that came with the drone, but I can't imagine that there would be a problem using any quality USB cable with the proper connectors.

Larry
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you. If you have any other concerns regarding your DJI Mavic Air please feel free to post so we can help you further. Happy flying.
2018-7-17
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-17 14:10

Thanks for that answer. According to my research, the Mavic Air charger puts out 2 amps at 5 volts on the USB port. This is identical to what a typical power strip outputs on a USB port (for example, see this link on Amazon.)

Can you say why you do not recommend USB chargers outputting the same voltage and amps as the official DJI charger? What else is there to consider, assuming your power strip already gives you filtered power?
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. DJI does not recommend to use 3rd party device for you to use on your Drone. Even though these devices have the same specification as the device of DJI we do not have the tools to check these 3rd party devices if they can cause harm to your DJI Drone. Thank you.
2018-7-17
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I use my iPad charger to charge RC and has no problem.
2018-7-17
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

I would say it is no problem, too. The remote doesn't have some fancy battery in it like the batteries of the drone. It's more comparable to a phone.
2018-7-17
Use props
Nishimura
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19902 ft
Peru

I've been charging it with the same cable and adapter that I use with my phone with no problems at all. The DJI official response is because they don't recommend third party accessories , as they mention it.
2018-7-23
Use props
djiuser_POQsFNSCVTId
New

United States

I purchased my mavic air from a pawnshop, everything works great however the control run out of battery and it didn’t come with a charger. What can I do or where can I purchase another charger?
3-28 05:55
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_POQsFNSCVTId Posted at 3-28 05:55
I purchased my mavic air from a pawnshop, everything works great however the control run out of battery and it didn’t come with a charger. What can I do or where can I purchase another charger?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. To charge the remote controller of your DJI Mavic Air, you need to have a USB-A to Micro USB cable (plug the micro USB cable on the controller end). You can look for this charging cable at the nearest store in your location. Hope this helps.
3-28 23:58
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules