Phantom 4 Pro SERIOUS SD card issues!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tuck N' Roll
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28947 ft

I've had my P4P for over a year and I've had no problems with it AT ALL until recently.

I will admit that I used the 128GB SD card almost exclusively for months whenever I would fly, which was at least once a week for about 8 months. Then, a couple months ago I started getting random corrupted video files. I thought maybe the SD card had started going bad so I switched it out for another one. But then I started having the same problem with that SD card, too almost immediately. Now, the first card IS a dead piece of plastic. My computer won't even recognize it. The second one has had a few corrupted files, but I don't plan on using it again. I just bought another two 128GB SD cards because I have a HUGE job for a client next week that will be about three hours. I'd like to know if this is something with the P4P that I hadn't heard about yet or is it a terrible coincidence that both cards would have issues around the same time? The second card is the one that came with the P4P, but I probably haven't used it more than twice since then.

I have a second question. I just bought a couple of new batteries from DJI to help with this big upcoming flight I have next week. They shipped to me with 50% charge and I can't remember which you're supposed to do to help the battery life. Do I let the battery discharge completely before charging it to 100% or do I charge it to 100% now and let it discharge at that point.

Obviously, my first question is the most important and the one I need an answer with ASAP.

2018-7-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Get the best SD card possible.  The Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB works great for everybody.

Leave the battery alone until you're ready to fly, then charge it to the top just before you fly.  

Good luck
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Have you tried formatting your Micro SD card? Please make sure that you are using this recommended Micro SD card to your Phantom 4 Pro for compatibility and reliability purposes. Please see the attached image below for reference. Also, you can charge the battery right away once you received it. Thank you.

2018-7-17
Use props
Tuck N' Roll
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-17 14:26
Get the best SD card possible.  The Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB works great for everybody.

Leave the battery alone until you're ready to fly, then charge it to the top just before you fly.  

Thanks for the battery advice, Mark!

The SD card I was using was a Sandisk Extreme Pro. Although, as I said, it was the 128GB. But, again, I used that card every week for maybe 8 months with NO ISSUES. The smaller card that came with the P4P was a 16GB Lexar
2018-7-17
Use props
Tuck N' Roll
lvl.1

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-17 14:35
Hi there. Have you tried formatting your Micro SD card? Please make sure that you are using this recommended Micro SD card to your Phantom 4 Pro for compatibility and reliability purposes. Please see the attached image below for reference. Also, you can charge the battery right away once you received it. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hi Natalia!

That was one of the first things I thought of. But, as I said, my computer won't even register that I have the card in the reader. The smaller card I can still read, but considering I've been getting corrupted media on it, I don't plan on using it ever again.

Here is a link to the card I bought last year on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They don't make that one anymore, so this is the SD card I bought as a replacement. https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's your opinion?

Interesting...two differing opinions on the battery issue. Whose advice do I take? The Administrator or the Captain? Hard call!
2018-7-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Tuck N' Roll Posted at 2018-7-17 14:41
Hi Natalia!

That was one of the first things I thought of. But, as I said, my computer won't even register that I have the card in the reader. The smaller card I can still read, but considering I've been getting corrupted media on it, I don't plan on using it ever again.

She's saying you CAN charge the battery right away.  That doesn't mean you SHOULD charge the battery right away.  My point is there is NO REASON to charge the battery right away unless you're going to FLY right away.

Re the SD card, it's difficult to correct an SD card problem when you're deliberately using an SD card that is not recommended by DJI.  I suggest using four 64s rather than two 128s.  Good luck.  
2018-7-17
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Brazil

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-17 14:35
Hi there. Have you tried formatting your Micro SD card? Please make sure that you are using this recommended Micro SD card to your Phantom 4 Pro for compatibility and reliability purposes. Please see the attached image below for reference. Also, you can charge the battery right away once you received it. Thank you.

[view_image]

Funny the shop where I bought my P4P+ told me max is 64GB, I just did a quick review in the manual and there is indeed written 128GB  hmmm don't beleive all salesmen I should have known this.
2018-7-17
Use props
rexster314
lvl.3

United States

If that's a Samsung card on the approved list, they don't make that anymore. I got a "same as" type Samsung a couple of months ago, and it had a too slow write speed and wouldn't work. Sold it soon as I could to someone that had a phone that worked with it
2018-7-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Natalia!

That was one of the first things I thought of. But, as I said, my computer won't even register that I have the card in the reader. The smaller card I can still read, but considering I've been getting corrupted media on it, I don't plan on using it ever again.

Regarding batteries, you should charge it up the day of your flying or the night before.
50% is the storage level but to fly with a battery that's been sitting around is asking for trouble.

Why the huge SD cards?
A good principle is to only use cards just big enough for whatever you can do in one flight.
Unless you're prepared to possibly lose a lot of work all at once, there's no point sending your work out flying again and again.
2018-7-17
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Brazil

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-17 15:45
Regarding batteries, you should charge it up the day of your flying or the night before.
50% is the storage level but to fly with a battery that's been sitting around is asking for trouble.

I have to agree with you. Even though the salesmen told me max is 64GB I use 2 16GB cards and 2 32GB card which is sufficient for me as I have only two batteries. So when arriving at home first thing I do is copy als data to the pc. And one step in my pre-flight checks is to format the SD card. This works perfect for me.
2018-7-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hi Natalia!

That was one of the first things I thought of. But, as I said, my computer won't even register that I have the card in the reader. The smaller card I can still read, but considering I've been getting corrupted media on it, I don't plan on using it ever again.

Format the card in the aircraft, not on a computer. The aircraft knows which format to use. And then keep formatting it every 10 flights or so.
2018-7-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As they are new batteries, i would charge them now, do a test flight until 50% then wait til the night before your job and charge them again, best to test well in advance... least  you have time then to remedy any issues
2018-7-17
Use props
Tuck N' Roll
lvl.1

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-17 20:04
As they are new batteries, i would charge them now, do a test flight until 50% then wait til the night before your job and charge them again, best to test well in advance... least  you have time then to remedy any issues

I was formatting the card in the drone, btw.
2018-7-17
Use props
Tuck N' Roll
lvl.1

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-17 15:45

Now you tell me.
2018-7-17
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

Philippines

According to DJI, the recommended maximum memory for a MicroSD card is 64GB.  I'm not sure why the 128GB card isn't recommended, in fact I was planning on buying one myself.  Also, THE ONLY CARD I use is Sandisk Extreme Pro.  And make sure you get the one that says "EXTREME PRO", because Sandisk makes various cards in which some read slower than others.
2018-7-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2018-7-17 21:27
According to DJI, the recommended maximum memory for a MicroSD card is 64GB.  I'm not sure why the 128GB card isn't recommended, in fact I was planning on buying one myself.  Also, THE ONLY CARD I use is Sandisk Extreme Pro.  And make sure you get the one that says "EXTREME PRO", because Sandisk makes various cards in which some read slower than others.

The P4Pro, which the OP has, can accept a 128GB card, it is in the DJI specs.
2018-7-17
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi
I am currently using:  SanDisk Extreme microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter with A1 App Performance Up to 100MB/s, 128 GB, Class 10, U3, V3  They were £53 on Amazon a few weeks ago.  Works with all 4k video options and all pictures modes.

However, if I was doing something of great importance I would probably instead buy and use several 32gb SD cards, changing mid-shoot, therefore not placing all of my eggs in one basket.

In addition as advised by others, try the new batteries before the big day, if the shoot is that crucial.

2018-7-17
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

Philippines

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-17 21:35
The P4Pro, which the OP has, can accept a 128GB card, it is in the DJI specs.

O.k.  
I asked in a previous post what is the highest GB memory card acceptable, and I was told by multiple people  it wasn't recommended.  I was also given a link to the Phantom 4 specs that said maximum recommended was 64GB.  
2018-7-17
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2018-7-17 23:20
O.k.  
I asked in a previous post what is the highest GB memory card acceptable, and I was told by multiple people  it wasn't recommended.  I was also given a link to the Phantom 4 specs that said maximum recommended was 64GB.

2018-7-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Post #19 above is the best post in this thread.  Why not remove the mystery and guesswork and speculation and heresay from the equation and simply provide a direct link/photo which provides us with solid information straight from DJI?  Well done.  
2018-7-18
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Brazil

All ok, but if a shop is a official DJI supplier you expect they know what they are saying IMO.
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi Natalia!

Hello there. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. You can refer to this manual for safety guidelines for the intelligent battery for Phantom 4 series: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y+Guidelines+En.pdf

In regards to the SD card, here are some recommended brands you can try: https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads
2018-7-18
Use props
Tuck N' Roll
lvl.1

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-18 08:33
Hello there. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. You can refer to this manual for safety guidelines for the intelligent battery for Phantom 4 series: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20170125/flight+battery+safety+guidelines/Phantom+4+Series+Intelligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guidelines+En.pdf

In regards to the SD card, here are some recommended brands you can try: https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads

Hi Wanda,

Thank you for the links. However, I'm not sure my original question was answered in the battery pdf. The battery came to me charged at 50%. Am I supposed to charge it to 100% and then fully discharge it? Or discharge it where it is right now? Or not even bother to discharge it at all right now, but wait until the recommended 3 month period? I want to do all I can to get the most out of the battery life.
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Tuck N' Roll Posted at 2018-7-18 09:35
Hi Wanda,

Thank you for the links. However, I'm not sure my original question was answered in the battery pdf. The battery came to me charged at 50%. Am I supposed to charge it to 100% and then fully discharge it? Or discharge it where it is right now? Or not even bother to discharge it at all right now, but wait until the recommended 3 month period? I want to do all I can to get the most out of the battery life.

Either way, sir.
2018-7-18
Use props
Tuck N' Roll
lvl.1

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-18 08:33
Hello there. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. You can refer to this manual for safety guidelines for the intelligent battery for Phantom 4 series: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20170125/flight+battery+safety+guidelines/Phantom+4+Series+Intelligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guidelines+En.pdf

Thanks for the info on the battery.

About the SD card. I'd PREFER to use a 128GB card so all my files are together. Shooting for about 3 hours in 4K resolution can take up some serious space and using smaller cards on a long shoot like that could lead to having multiple cards to keep track of. But the 128GB card on your list of recommended cards - I'm not sure if they offer that one anymore. Is that the most recent list of accepted SD cards?
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Tuck N' Roll Posted at 2018-7-18 09:46
Thanks for the info on the battery.

About the SD card. I'd PREFER to use a 128GB card so all my files are together. Shooting for about 3 hours in 4K resolution can take up some serious space and using smaller cards on a long shoot like that could lead to having multiple cards to keep track of. But the 128GB card on your list of recommended cards - I'm not sure if they offer that one anymore. Is that the most recent list of accepted SD cards?

I understand that this is important to you. Yes, that's the latest list we have. You don't really have to follow the recommended list since they are only recommended. As long as it's class 10 and UHS-3, it's good to go.
2018-7-18
Use props
Jrods
lvl.1
Flight distance : 237602 ft
United States

I make  my living by photography, and one of things that I have in my Still cameras are two card slots. The phantom world we do not have two card slots. Memory card failure will happen if you use the card enough. I have gone for years with out a failure and this year I have had two SD card Failures. One in the p4p and one in a Nikon D500. My normal procedure is to replace the cards every year. The one that failed in the D500 was a 16gb card and the one that failed today in the P4p was a 64gb scandisk ultra plus.
The fact is they will fail.  And you have to deal with it.
2018-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules