Is updating a Must Do thing?
754 12 2018-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Вася Тёркин
lvl.1

United States

After returning faulty P3 4K and getting new P3std I am hesitant to upgrade to a latest firmware.
I understand official line from DJI is always update to a latest firmware.
My question to those thinking outside of the box. Is it ok to fly without updating firmware?
As a noob I’m reading a lot of info and I see how people messing up their perfectly working drones by simply updating firmware

Thank you.
2018-7-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I think there are three schools of thought.

Some upgrade right away.  I think it's fair to say most of these people are generally inexperienced.  

I think most experienced pilots who are happy with the behavior of their Phantom don't upgrade right away.

Many experienced pilots will plan to upgrade eventually but they'll wait and let the noobs upgrade first so that all the problems and bugs will come to the surface and be fixed before they upgrade.

Some experienced pilots never upgrade.

Good luck.
2018-7-18
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

I have Phantom 3 standard that have not been updated for two years and it flies perfectly up to 1200 m.
There is no need to update if its working well.
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching our DJI Forum. Again, we highly suggest our customer to update the firmware of their drone into the latest version for the compatibility and reliability purposes and to avoid any issue. If you have any other concern, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-7-18
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft

I have a P3 Pro that I've been flying for almost two years now.  I have never done an update.  If it ain't broke...I don't fix it!  You couldn't ask for a better flying machine.  I also have a P3 Standard.  It was actually a replacement for one that I accidentally crashed about a year ago.  The one that I sent in for repair was only able to go out to about 2,500 feet in range.  The replacement that I got back is astounding.  I can send it out to more than 6,500 feet without any mods.  You couldn't pay me to do any updates on that one.
2018-7-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Wait till you get some pretty good experience before doing anything.  If it flies, let it be.
2018-7-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

More people getting into trouble by updating thewir gear. If it flies well, leave it alone.
2018-7-18
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

I'm still running 1.2.40+ on both of my P3Ss and they work perfectly.  Not going to update anything.
2018-7-18
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Very interesting perspective from experienced drone pilots here...glad to know as I previously thought update is a must (i.e., we cannot fly the drone without agreeing to update)
2018-7-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

dronto Posted at 2018-7-19 01:06
Very interesting perspective from experienced drone pilots here...glad to know as I previously thought update is a must (i.e., we cannot fly the drone without agreeing to update)

Updates are a roll of the dice.  Sometimes they go well, sometimes they can make things go haywire and cause lots of heartache.
2018-7-19
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-7-19 03:10
Updates are a roll of the dice.  Sometimes they go well, sometimes they can make things go haywire and cause lots of heartache.

yup good to know that...thank you
2018-7-19
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

My phantom advance is over 1 year old and has the firmware that came with it,if you are NOT having issues then there is no need to “update” and I’m using the word update without much confidence.....
2018-7-19
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have nearly 350 miles of flight time on various drones and have always updated with no issues with the exception of one time. Had to downgrade FW on the P4P b/c of reversed image feed when pointed downward. Once DJI fixed the bug, updated and now functioning w/out any issues.

2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules