phantom 3 advance or phantom 3 pro????
1804 12 2015-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mattansagi
lvl.1

Spain

Hey guysso, what do you say?! which 1 should i buy?
do you need an special screen for watching the 4k?

Help me please ....

Thank you
Matt
2015-5-21
Use props
ruprick
lvl.2

United States

I went with the Advanced because: a) I don't have a 4K TV nor will I any time soon and b) my PC is not powerful enough to edit & process 4K video yet. I decided to save the few hundred and make beautiful 1080p60 video for now. Although some have reported improvement in video when recording in 4K and downscaling to 1080p.

Tangent: is 60fps overkill for everyday footage?
2015-5-21
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Go with advanced unless you have a ton of youtube subs and a lightning fast pc. Most of us watch 4k videos in 180p anyways
2015-5-21
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

Pro...better charger, better video, and better re-sale value!
2015-5-21
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

ruprick@gmail.c Posted at 2015-5-22 04:30
I went with the Advanced because: a) I don't have a 4K TV nor will I any time soon and b) my PC is n ...

You can process the 4K in a smaller format, i.e., shoot in 4K, then process the finished file as 1080> You'll greatly enhance the capability of pan and zoom. Not so much if you shoot in 1080 and process in 1080. You can always save the 4K file and some day, when 4K becomes very commonplace, you can re-process the file.

Storage is already incredibly cheap.

In 1979 my Apple II+ used a floppy disk that held something like 134,000 bytes. A 2-TB drive contains almost 15 million times as much storage capability!
2015-5-22
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I got the Pro because of the whole package of upgrades compared to the $300 increase in price.  When I originally got the PH2, I went with the non-Vision model knowing that I was going to take the savings and buy a GoPro for it.  But with the PH3, I really can't think of any upgrades I might need, so I just went all in.  I know we are some time before 4K display devices are mainstream - but we're close enough that I felt I would regret not getting it.  If the delta between the Pro and Adv was more like $500-$800, I might have hesitated.  But at $300, the benefits outweighted the cost - even if the full benefits won't be realized for some time.  

But financially, I had literally just sold my PH2 and had the money in my hand for the Pro.  So it was almost an even trade.  If I only had $900 in my pocket, and would have had to steal food money for the extra upgrade, again, I might have hesitated.

So ask yourself, are you a pilot who likes to take photos, or are you a photographer who wants a different perspective?  That answer might help drive your decision.
2015-5-22
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

went with the phantom 3 advanced for much the same reason as some earlier posts, 1080p is brilliant and easy to work with,also i think most people are still on 1080p equipment,give it a year or two then i would be 4k ready but till then its 1080p all the way.
2015-5-22
Use props
hasanahmad
lvl.1

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-5-23 00:45
I got the Pro because of the whole package of upgrades compared to the $300 increase in price.  When ...

the reason i didnt get the Pro is because Phantom 4 will be here in 12 months, THEN i will upgrade because I can bet the Phantom 4 lower end model will have 4K standard and the upper end model will have the 360 degree view like Inspire.
2015-5-22
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Exactly ... great point.  

That was sort of the "technology race" concept that went into my thinking; will I be able to take advantage of, and get enough enjoyment out of, 4K video before a PH4 is launched and available.  If so, then the Pro was a good choice.  If not, then at least will the resale value of the Pro be much higher than the Adv, enough so that it will make the upgrade to a PH4 much easier.  I assume yes, but who knows what that gap will be a year or so from now.

But in the end, there really is no wrong answer - it's a personal choice based on the information and available money you have at this time.   
2015-5-22
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Advanced is a better $ deal for about 90% plus of users.
Take that for what it is worth. If you are one of the other 10% or would rather just spend the money to be sure, buy the Pro.
2015-5-22
Use props
mattansagi
lvl.1

Spain

Thank you very much guys , really appreciate your opinion ...
Matt
2015-5-22
Use props
hasanahmad
lvl.1

United States

Most pc's will have a hard time trancoding a 4k image so it might look great but only if you are a videophile or have a 4k monitor to show it off. To downsample a 4k to 1080p will take a lot of processing power but yeah most people will find the 1080p footage as good as the 4k to 1080p downsampled footage of the pro. The 1080p to 1080p footage is the same for both so realistically at this time with the 4k in infancy it's a nice to have but not essential and certainly not $300 essential. You can be better off with 2 batteries to get 60 minute of footage in a single session rather than 20 minutes
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I have the Phantom 3 Professional and I am very happy with that choice.

I love the flexibility of the 4K video. It really shows in the video quality - even if you end up making a 1080p video to show on regular Full HD TVs, iPads and phones.
You don't need a 4K screen or TV to benefit from 4K. It also means that when you edit your video you can frame your video and crop (or "zoom") without loosing too much quality. It really adds creative flexibility. In fact, you it even makes sense to grab still photos straight from the 4K video since that is basically 8 megapixel photos - compared to the 2 megapixel photos if you take a screengrab from a 1080p video.

There is no doubt the P3 Advanced is an awesome machine as well. I just think the benefits of the Phantom Pro are significant (including the faster battery charger and even new functionality like YouTube streaming seems to get out first for the Pro-version).

BUT, if you haven't flown a quadcopter before, I would get a "toy" quadcopter first and learn to fly (or get it and learn while you wait for delivery of your Phantom 3). I got myself a Hubsan X4 quadcopter and trained on that. The basic mechanics are the same - and since the Hubsan is more difficult to fly, you will feel quite confident flying the Phantom after mastering the Hubsan   And it won't matter too much if you crash the Hubsan. It can take a beating - and it is MUCH better than crashing your expensive flying camera.

If you decide to buy, consider clicking my link below if you want to buy from DJI. That way I'll get a discount on accessories which will really help me out.
-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules