Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air imu issues
4500 8 2018-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4cb88ee3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 718734 ft

Hey ladies and gents

Over the last few weeks I have been getting the odd IMU warning messages (in flight, working imu encounters attitude exception, please slowly get aircraft back)

Last week I was flying the Mavic Air again and it came up again but this time it stated it switched to back up IMU, the air started drifting off course and then tilted at and angle was very erratic before coming down and crashing. Other warning signs were motor current error, check propellers.
I got in touch with amazon who refunded the purchase so I bought another hoping it was a defective drone but I received the new one and updated all firmware yesterday, recalibrated everything and after flying for half hour or so if came up saying switched to back up IMU  again so I grounded the drone. Today I refreshed the firmware with assistant 2 in hope it might fix it, will test out tomorrow.

Is anyone else having these issues? Could it be firmware?

Thanks for any help

Dan

2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the trouble that it caused, good thing you were able to use DJI assistant 2, I would advise re-calibrating the IMU and compass of your Mavic Air, please try to fly your aircraft in a different location to see if the message will persist. Ensure that there are no interferences in the location before flying it. Kindly keep us posted in any case that the issue will occur again.
2018-7-18
Use props
fans4cb88ee3
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello DJI Tony. Thanks for getting back to me. Yesterday I followed the advice you gave and still unfortunately I’m getting the switched to back up imu and navigation redundancy switch warnings. Iv noticed that it seems to happen after the second flight when I put a fresh battery in. Could it be that because I’m swapping a fresh cold battery literally straight in after a flight it would cause this issue?

Again any help is much appreciated

2018-7-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

fans4cb88ee3 Posted at 2018-7-20 11:55
Hello DJI Tony. Thanks for getting back to me. Yesterday I followed the advice you gave and still unfortunately I’m getting the switched to back up imu and navigation redundancy switch warnings. Iv noticed that it seems to happen after the second flight when I put a fresh battery in. Could it be that because I’m swapping a fresh cold battery literally straight in after a flight it would cause this issue?

Again any help is much appreciated

If it is a new aircraft as you have reported you have to update the firmware also on all of the batteries! I recommend you use DJI Assistant for that.
2018-7-20
Use props
fans4cb88ee3
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello wachtberger.

Thanks for messaging, how do you go about updating the battery firmware? I was always on the understanding that if the battery needed updating you would get an inconsistant firmware message when booting up the battery/drone.

Any more help would be great thanks

Dan
2018-7-20
Use props
fans4cb88ee3
lvl.2

right so I have individually updated the drone firmware with each battery I own and unfortunately that has not solved the issue.

I have also tried another theory where I thought that maybe the fact I was putting a fresh cold battery directly after a flight in to the drone and it was throwing the drones thought plan when initializing the Imu. I left it for approx. 5 mins and that didn't seem to affect the issue happening.

my next plan is too try a different version of the app, I'm currently using IOS app version 4.2.22, I'm going to borrow an android phone to test it out to see if the problem occurs on that version.

struggling to come up with many more ideas as I am resisting sending it in and being without a drone for weeks/months
2018-7-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans4cb88ee3 Posted at 2018-7-21 09:23
right so I have individually updated the drone firmware with each battery I own and unfortunately that has not solved the issue.

I have also tried another theory where I thought that maybe the fact I was putting a fresh cold battery directly after a flight in to the drone and it was throwing the drones thought plan when initializing the Imu. I left it for approx. 5 mins and that didn't seem to affect the issue happening.

Once you tested the aircraft in a different device, please keep us posted if the issue will persist.
2018-7-22
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-22 09:04
Once you tested the aircraft in a different device, please keep us posted if the issue will persist.

I'm having the same issue. "In flight, working IMU encounters heading exception. Please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally". Meanwhile it is spinning and drifting horribly. I'm too busy to read all of the warnings just to keep it in the air. I was at 2084 ft away and 265.8 ft up.Then again at 1441 ft away and 121 ft up. Same flight.
I also get terrible sudden left yaw with no stick input randomly. Could both of these be caused by one root problem?
2018-10-24
Use props
Monk32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50915 ft

Guys
the IMU is a unit that technically it is placed permanently on the main board, and is used to create a mixed information of the actual position of the aircraft and thus is controlling the system.
It is found from experience that this unit some times is getting detached from the board and thus the system shows an "IMU ERROR" message.
If you have seen that, normally means that this is the problem. The system is equipped with two IMUs, so it is using the backup one in such a case.
The only solution is to open a case in customer services online and send the drone to your closest service center.
It happens to me and I got a new (refurbished) drone, which had a connection problem. I send it back and the service send me another one which is perfect.
No charges since it was under warranty (the problem occurred about 8 months after purchase) and the customer service was perfect.
This is my experience and knowledge about the IMU issue.
I hope this helps.
2019-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules