Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Standard only getting 220 meters in a rural area
949 18 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
macska_usa
lvl.1
Romania

Hello,
I have been experiencing range issues with my Phantom 3 standard. The DJI GO software reported strong interference every time I tried to calibrate my compass and many times failed to do so. (3/5 times) I am flying in a rural area, where I'm getting horrific range, around 50-60 meters at an altittude of 15 meters. There is a cell phone tower less than a kilometer away from me and several wifi networks just in range of my take off point. The furthest I have managed to fly it so far was 220 meters, which was a rare occasion, to say the least. So far I haven't tried flying in an other area, but I will soon.

Also, I am not that familiar with drones in general, I don't know what is considered an "interference free area". Is that an area without cell phone signal or without WiFi Signal?

Besides that, I also do not know if there could be something wrong with my drone. Support is currently unavailable, that's why I turned to the forum. I bought my drone 2 weeks ago, so I don't expect anything to be wrong.

Thank you for your help

2018-7-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are you sure you're aiming the controller/antennas correctly?  
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching  DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues with your aircraft. You did mention that there is a cellphone tower less than a kilometer away, this wall signal jams and your compass will be getting error messages. If I may ask you as well for the brand or make of your mobile device where you downloaded the app. Thank you.
2018-7-19
Use props
macska_usa
lvl.1
Romania

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-19 11:34
Are you sure you're aiming the controller/antennas correctly?

I don't know how to do that, and haven't even bothered adjusting them so far.
2018-7-19
Use props
macska_usa
lvl.1
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-19 11:36
Hi, thanks for reaching  DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues with your aircraft. You did mention that there is a cellphone tower less than a kilometer away, this wall signal jams and your compass will be getting error messages. If I may ask you as well for the brand or make of your mobile device where you downloaded the app. Thank you.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus with the latest iOS firmware. I downloaded the App from the official app store.
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, unfortunately, the iPhone 7 plus is not yet fully compatible to run the app. Please see the list of fully compatible devices below. Thank you.

2018-7-19
Use props
macska_usa
lvl.1
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-19 11:45
Hi, unfortunately, the iPhone 7 plus is not yet fully compatible to run the app. Please see the list of fully compatible devices below. Thank you.

[view_image]

I have also tried using an LG G6, which provided the same results.
2018-7-19
Use props
macska_usa
lvl.1
Romania

macska_usa Posted at 2018-7-19 11:47
I have also tried using an LG G6, which provided the same results.

Looking at the recommended devices, I realized that the iPhone 6s is listed (which I own). By how much will using a fully supported device improve my current situation?
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, LG G6 is not also supported, the phones that are not listed are currently under testing and development stage. Thank you.
2018-7-19
Use props
macska_usa
lvl.1
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-19 11:53
Hi, LG G6 is not also supported, the phones that are not listed are currently under testing and development stage. Thank you.

I realized that I own an iPhone 6s, which is fully supported. By how much will using a fully supported device improve my current situation ?
2018-7-19
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

macska_usa Posted at 2018-7-19 11:54
I realized that I own an iPhone 6s, which is fully supported. By how much will using a fully supported device improve my current situation ?

It is fairly important to use the mobile devices listed on the DJI website or in post #6.  These are the ones tested by DJI to be fully compatible with the GoApp.  Others may appear to work, but some functions won't work or other problems not obvious.  Many post over the years on that.  On your antenna, ensure your stick antenna is fairly vertical to be somewhat parallel to the Phantom landing legs where the Phantom antenna is located.  There are also antennas inside the remote control unit you can't see.  For these reasons, always ensure you and your control unit are facing the Phantom at all times to ensure proper connectivity.
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

macska_usa Posted at 2018-7-19 11:54

Hi, a fully supported phone will optimize the performance of your drone. There may be cases like it won't work but this is only if there is an upgrade or update on the app or in the firmware of the aircraft, though everything will be showing on the app since its a supported phone.
2018-7-20
Use props
macska_usa
lvl.1
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-20 03:10
Hi, a fully supported phone will optimize the performance of your drone. There may be cases like it won't work but this is only if there is an upgrade or update on the app or in the firmware of the aircraft, though everything will be showing on the app since its a supported phone.

In case I will still experience the same issues, do I have to RMA my drone in order to get a replacement ?
How can I tell if the antennas in my remote controller/drone are damaged ?
2018-7-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

macska_usa Posted at 2018-7-20 06:21
In case I will still experience the same issues, do I have to RMA my drone in order to get a replacement ?

Hi, if you want to send the device for repairs, just click the link below to fill out the form. If the antennas are bent or loose are considered damaged already. A drone has a crack to its shell and the motors are inconsistent when running or having a hard time to spin are also considered damaged.

Online Repair Request
2018-7-20
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

macska_usa Posted at 2018-7-20 06:21

I recommend you download the manual from DJI and read it.  It will give you information required to fly your drone and what to expect from it.
2018-7-20
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

Maybe a silly question, but have you turned off "beginner mode" (or whatever it's called that limits range)?
2018-7-20
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-7-20 13:52
Maybe a silly question, but have you turned off "beginner mode" (or whatever it's called that limits range)?

How the P3S get 220 meters if the beginner mode is in?
May be it´s more a sender receiver issue.
2018-7-22
Use props
Lonesome Crow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could I suggest this video, I am not that familiar with drones in general,.  Being that you stated "I am not that familiar with drones in general," this might have some useful information for you.  Before I got my Phantom 3S, I bet I watched this video half a dozen times.  Good information here might help you solve your issue.  Lot of good folks here willing to help you.  Happy Flying!

2018-7-22
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

Near a cell tower i did´nt any message of compass error but on the opposite direction of my house i got it more because i ´ve flown my AC very close to an old ore mine. But it was not so serious as i though.
2018-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules