What is the antenna polarization? RHCP or LHCP?
3120 4 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Krunch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112034 ft
United States

I purchased the 4Hawks Raptor XR antenna and I have not been happy with the functionality of the unit. The farthest I can get the Air to fly is about 400 feet high, 2500 feet away. I tried switching from 2.4 to 5.8 GHz. That made a tiny difference. The default antennas got me about 2000 feet distance and 400 feet height. I contacted 4Hawks and sent photos of the antenna and the connections. They said it looks like an internal antenna wire was bad so they will send me more as long as I pay the $25 shipping from Poland. I did. With the new wires installed I get the same distance before the bird automatically returns to home. There are some videos on Youtube that show users witht he Air and the Raptor XR getting 30000+ feet distance at 400-600 feet high. I cannot figure out why mine wont fly that far...

So this leads to my question, coming from my experience building racing drones, what is the polarization of the antennas on the Air? Are they LHCP or RHCP? If somebody can point me to a page that specifies this then that would be awesome.
2018-7-19
Use props
Krunch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112034 ft
United States

I take back the 30000+ feet. There was one video that made it into the 20000's. Most are in the teens, i.e. 14000+- feet...
2018-7-19
Use props
wantedlynx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 689787 ft
Philippines

i purchased also a raptor SR for my MA. In a CE country where I tested it, I did not have any improvement at all and it just performed like the stock antenna. I get poor video latency just around 200m away. I resorted to force FCC, only then it improves a lot & only then I got solid connection.
2018-8-7
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

The MA on-board ant is at best a compromised patch antenna. The 5.8GHZ mode from what I read does not perform as well as the 2.4GHZ mode.  Most patch antenna's are  RHCP, and circular or conical  designs. Here is a good link on the theory. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org ... 4b4c4046ccdecf6.pdf   Since you cant increase the gain of the drones antenna easily, you are forced to change the antenna on the controller.  I fly a Mavic Pro and even with unmodified controller, I have no problem flying over 500ft away.  Im curious to see how this goes for you with the Raptor XR.
2018-8-7
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Given the design of the Raptor I'd guess they are actually patch antenna as the Raptor doesn't look deep enough to be a polarized
Infact given they work on 2.4 AND 5.8 they can't be PL can they (I might be wrong on this but I thought 2.4 and 5.8 PL antenna were completeley different)?
2018-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules