Complete loss of connection
359 10 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jkul777
lvl.1

Hey guys i just got into the drone lifestyle about a week ago and purchased a Spark. Been flying it alot in my nieghborhood. But today i took off in my front yard (please note i live in a large neighborhood with big trees) i was flying towards my grandmas house about id say 4000 feet a few neighborhoods away but once i got to about 3k my drone completly lost connection wouldnt even give me an option to RTH. I had to run down my yard and finally got a connection and hit RTH. Shouldnt it automaticly do that? Btw i have since switch to 2.4 instead of 5.8 ghz hoping that will help for my flight tonight.
2018-7-19
Use props
Jkul777
lvl.1
United States

i was also about 150-200 ft high
2018-7-19
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

try to keep it in VLOS next time and practice a bit closer next time....
2018-7-19
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

Practice a bit closer next time....STAY IN VLOS...also don't be around trees and wires they can adversely effect the connection..never go over the river and through the woods until you want to loose your spark..
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi. Thanks for all the suggestion. Yes, @Carmenvail is correct. You shouldn't fly your drone around trees and wires. You should fly it into a wide field with no magnetic interference or trees around to avoid this kind of scenario again. If you have other concern, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-7-19
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

3000 feet is pretty far for a spark.. yea, others have gone further but that was in ideal conditions..   once it lost connection with the remote, the spark would have started to return to home without you having to activate it.  I am not sure, but once it got back within range it may have cancelled the return to home.   What others have said.. fly within visual line of sight and you will keep your spark for a long time.  Fly it where you can't see it and it will be lost forever soon.
2018-7-19
Use props
Jkul777
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do get what your saying ill keep it around my neighborhood next time just wanted to see how far the range really was in a non open field but you are right if i want to keep my drone i better be more careful. but now that i know that it would have returned to home that makes me feel better. Ive just been watching videos on sparks going 10k feet away and no even lose signal which baffled me to be honest so i thought id try it out.
2018-7-19
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

After few seconds it loses connection with the RC. It automatically initiates the RTH procedure. As the AC get closer the connection restabilishes. Then you can either cancel or not the RTH.
Before each take off you have to make sure the home point has been updated correctly. And the RTH altitude is set higher than the obstacles.
2018-7-19
Use props
Jkul777
lvl.1
United States

Correction guys i was 1000 feet away not 3000
2018-7-19
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

As BrilhasMuito  pointed out, give it some time (at least 30 seconds) to initiate RTH
Controller will start beeping when it is in RTH

In the 30 seconds that you are waiting to trigger RTH, the craft is not moving - stationary at the last altitude.

That is IF you got a home point set when you took off.
2018-7-19
Use props
Jkul777
lvl.1
United States

Ahhhhhh ok thanks for the info. I will remember that next time before i freak out lol
2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules