Setting home point with no internet connection?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191896 ft

I often fly in the mountains with no cellular or wifi internet options.  I also do my best to pre-load the map, planning ahead and knowing it won't be available for download where I'm flying.
BUT... I notice that I rarely get the home point to set in the DJI GO 4 app properly if I'm not connected to internet.  (The map often does not load either without internet connection, even though I downloaded it, and loaded it into the tablet local cache)
One of my fears is that if my controller disconnects, the Phantom 4 will not know where home is, and will fly away.  Even if I have VLOS, line of sight, if the drone is unresponsive because of disconnect, how can I ensure I've set the home point where I launch?

Or, is the home point already set on the Phantom itself, but it's not set on my controller / tablet because I don't have internet connection?

Does the Phantom 4 truly know where home is, even if the app does not say so?  

Thanks.

2018-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there. Thanks for reaching our DJI Forum. First, you need to record your Home Point with at least 10 satellite GPS connections. Your Home Point can be your drone’s location before taking off. Make sure you set your return home altitude so that it’s higher than anything in the area. You may also check the home point on the Phantom 4 Standard's manual. For reference, please see the attached image below. Thank you.

2018-7-20
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-20 12:27
Hello there. Thanks for reaching our DJI Forum. First, you need to record your Home Point with at least 10 satellite GPS connections. Your Home Point can be your drone’s location before taking off. Make sure you set your return home altitude so that it’s higher than anything in the area. You may also check the home point on the Phantom 4 Standard's manual. For reference, please see the attached image below. Thank you.

[view_image]

OK thank you.  I was thinking that since the home point sets automatically when there is internet, that I would still get some notification that the home point was set when I launched, even without internet.  But to my recollection, the home point does not set without internet.  I do not get the green H symbol when there is no internet.

So are you saying that the home point does in fact set, once there are 10 satellites, even without internet?  Or do I need to set this home point manually before I launch?
2018-7-20
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft

It should give you an audible voice message saying   " Home point has been updated " I will not fly until I hear this voice.

When I fly away from home on an Island......I hover at 10 feet for almost a minute.  This usually gives the drone enough time to develop a problem

and you can land quickly.    This has been a very good pre-flying  rule for me.

Fly happy.   
2018-7-20
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

You don't have to worry about home point and internet.
The drone (here: your device) doesn't need internet in order to record a home point.

The drone always records a new home point upon start up - sufficient satellite reception provided.
You will get a message while being on ground. And another one upon take off.

There is no need to hover after take off.
Being in P-GPS you can shoot your drone like a rocket into the sky.
2018-7-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

One of my fears is that if my controller disconnects, the Phantom 4 will not know where home is, and will fly away.  Even if I have VLOS, line of sight, if the drone is unresponsive because of disconnect, how can I ensure I've set the home point where I launch?
Every time you fly your Phantom records a home point automatically as soon as it gets a GPS position fix.
Internet or no internet makes no difference - you don't need internet to fly the Phantom.

Or, is the home point already set on the Phantom itself, but it's not set on my controller / tablet because I don't have internet connection?
The homepoint is stored in the Phantom - so it knows where to return to if signal is lost.
The Phantom shares the homepoint with the app so it can be shown on the map.

Does the Phantom 4 truly know where home is, even if the app does not say so?
If the Phantom has GPS reception and the app is connected, the Phantom will always report the homepoint to the app.
You can check this next time you power up (outdoors).
While the Phantom's GPS is acquiring satellites and does not yet have enough for a position fix, the distance display will show N/A (not available).
But as soon as the Phantom has a GPS position, it records the homepoint and now the distance display shows a very small number.
That's the distance from home.
Without a homepoint, it can't show a distance.
If you're not hearing the Homepoint Recorded message you may have the volume turned down.

are you saying that the home point does in fact set, once there are 10 satellites, even without internet?  Or do I need to set this home point manually before I launch?
You should never need to set the Homepoint manually.
The number of sats required is approximately 10 but it could be more or less depending on which sats are where in your sky.
DJI won't accept a GPS fix unless you have 6 satellites but the P4 receives both US GPS sats and Russian Glonass sats and the Phantom requires 6 of one or the other kind to have a valid position fix.

2018-7-20
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the feedback.  It's a relief to know that the Phantom records the home point with or without internet.  My confusion was because the DJI GO 4 app did not have internet, so it did not show that a home point had been set.  It would just show the black screen in the map window.

It would be nice to have an audio alert that the home point has been set, without internet connection.  I always hear this alert when I'm connected to internet, but I don't think I've EVER heard it without internet.  

If I'm up in the mountains, I've waited for a few minutes without internet just to see if it would give some sign that the home point was set.  There was nothing I could see or hear.  Then once I tethered into cellular data from my phone, once connected with internet, the audio alert would say the home point has been set, and the map populated.  

So this gave me the impression that no home point is set without internet.  

Thanks
2018-7-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You should still hear the voice  of home point updated, although I must admit there have been times when this has happened to me.  You can always check your map.
2018-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2018-7-23 07:30
Thanks for the feedback.  It's a relief to know that the Phantom records the home point with or without internet.  My confusion was because the DJI GO 4 app did not have internet, so it did not show that a home point had been set.  It would just show the black screen in the map window.

It would be nice to have an audio alert that the home point has been set, without internet connection.  I always hear this alert when I'm connected to internet, but I don't think I've EVER heard it without internet.  

Try turning up the volume on your phone or tablet.

If I'm up in the mountains, I've waited for a few minutes without internet just to see if it would give some sign that the home point was set.  There was nothing I could see or hear.  Then once I tethered into cellular data from my phone, once connected with internet, the audio alert would say the home point has been set, and the map populated.  

Internet/no internet makes no difference.
The only thing you get from the internet is the map (if you haven't already cached it).
No need to go to the mountains to test.
Just put your phone or tablet in airplane mode and see how it works.

2018-7-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Can we change the voice?  ;-)

I would like a stronger accent, on mine.  Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-23
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm going to document via video to show you that the home location audio alert does not sound when there is no internet connection.  And yes, I'll have the volume turned up.
2018-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2018-7-23 17:59
Thanks again for the feedback. I'm going to document via video to show you that the home location audio alert does not sound when there is no internet connection.  And yes, I'll have the volume turned up.

I fly with a wifi only tablet in locations where there's no wifi.The  homepoint is always recorded as soon as the Phantom gets a GPS fix and  the message advising that the homepoint has been recorded, please check  it on the map always comes through (except occasionally when other  messages are coming through at the same time).

I'm going to document via video to show you that the home location audio alert does not sound when there is no internet connection.
If you understood how the Phantom sets it's home point and that internet/no internet makes no difference to anything at all except your ability to download maps in the field, you wouldn't waste your time.

2018-7-23
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2018-7-23 17:59

Hi.

Guess you're using an Android phone/tablet !!!  You are not the only one who has seen that problem. This is due to DJI's very badly writing code in there APP, where the satelite map does not work properly, nor if you have downloaded the map for the area you flying in. Even if you do not hear the voice, your home point will be updated correct when the GPS shows at least 12 satellites.

Even on DJIGO4 V4.2.21, which should have fixed the map problems with preloaded map, it still does not work.

Hope it will be better over time, though it seems DJI does not understand how important it is their APP works properly for their customers.   

Regards Leif.

2018-7-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Labroides is correct, of course.  Setting a home point has nothing to do with an internet connection.  The two are not even remotely related.  In fact, you can probably leave your phone/tablet at home and it'll still set the home point.  It's been this way for half a decade.  
2018-7-24
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

Landbo Posted at 2018-7-23 20:40
Hi.

Guess you're using an Android phone/tablet !!!  You are not the only one who has seen that problem. This is due to DJI's very badly writing code in there APP, where the satelite map does not work properly, nor if you have downloaded the map for the area you flying in. Even if you do not hear the voice, your home point will be updated correct when the GPS shows at least 12 satellites.

That makes sense, yes I'm using a Samsung tablet.

Thanks
2018-7-24
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

OK so I was able to document this topic.  I've got a Samsung Android tablet, and it looks like IOS is highly favored with DJI GO 4, but nonetheless I was able to record my dilema.

Now I know that I can manually set a home point once 10 satellites are linked, but there is simply no indication of this possibility without internet connection.

Even if I preload the maps at home, they do NOT appear in the app until after it has connected to internet.  To test this, I set up data tethering on my cell phone, and turned off the wifi on the tablet.  You'll see I load the app, I'm ready to fly, just waiting for that safety of the home point to set.  There is no notification that the home point has been set if there is no network connection.

Once I turn on Wifi for the tablet and it immediately connects to my cell phone data, you see the notification finally show that the home point is set, and finally the map begins to load.

I can deal with manually setting the home point once I get 10 satellites.  I often do not get network in the mountains, so this is the only option.  What I do have a problem with, is why my preloaded maps do NOT show up without internet.  

Your feedback and ideas are welcome.  I NEED the maps to load without network.  How do you prepare and preload the maps before you fly?
And yes, everything is updated, both software and firmware for tablet app and Phantom 4 device.

2018-8-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2018-8-10 06:41
OK so I was able to document this topic.  I've got a Samsung Android tablet, and it looks like IOS is highly favored with DJI GO 4, but nonetheless I was able to record my dilema.

Now I know that I can manually set a home point once 10 satellites are linked, but there is simply no indication of this possibility without internet connection.

First .. forget your idea that you need internet to get a home point.
That is 100% wrong.
There is no link at all between internet and GPS/homepoint.

Next you say that there's no indication that you have recorded home and that is also wrong.
See the distance reading down near the bottom left?
What do you think that distance is from???

Watch it from start when you power up.
It will show N/A until you get GPS and a home point, after that it will show a distance.
That's the distance from home point.
If you doubt me, you can easily confirm by flying the Phantom away or even walking with it and see how the distance indication corresponds to the distance from where it powered up and recorded the home point.

Your screen also shows GPS Ready to Fly.
If you have GPS, you have a homepoint.

If you turn up the volume on the tablet, you'll hear Ms DJI tell you that the home point is recorded.

If you had read what I posted in #6 above you would have already understoof this.
Thanks for making me type it out again!

2018-8-10
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

Yes I understand that now, but why will it only give the audio and visual notifications of a home point after internet connection?

If the app is smart enough to measure the distance without internet, it should be smart enough to notify the home point has been set without internet.

And then there's the maps, how they won't load without internet, even though I loaded them at home before I went out to fly.  I can't find a proper way to preload the maps in preparation that I won't have internet in the mountains.

Thanks
2018-8-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2018-8-10 08:03
Yes I understand that now, but why will it only give the audio and visual notifications of a home point after internet connection?

If the app is smart enough to measure the distance without internet, it should be smart enough to notify the home point has been set without internet.

Do you really need maps?
I've flown for four years and I think I've only used maps twice.
2018-8-10
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-10 08:06
Do you really need maps?
I've flown for four years and I think I've only used maps twice.

You and I may fly under different circumstances, in different types of terrain.

I'm always prepared that if something goes wrong and I need to take an expedition up a mountain to look for my drone, that I know where to go.  Knock on wood, I've never had a problem.

But whether or not it's useful, if you can load the maps at home, they should be available for later.
2018-8-10
Use props
DJI_112
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79606 ft

justin, I can report similar issue.

I use P4 with Samsung S6 phone without SIM card, because this phone is only used for the drone.
When I'm outside I have no internet.

I can confirm the map and the home point is shown without internet. As mentioned outside my phone does not have any connection to internet.

BUT:
During my last mission I observed same as you.
On whatever reason the map was not displayed in my app.
At the same time I was also missing the voice of Ms DJI "home recorded", which confused me.
(And yes: the volume was switched on, otherwise I could not have heard the low battery message).
The map of this area was cached. I'm often in this area and I did not cache other area.

I was not sure, if the home point was recorded and tested it carefully by fyiing on sight about 30m away. Then I pressed RTH, which worked fine. My P4 increased height to RTH-heigth and came back to starting point.
So I was sure the home point was recorded and I completed the mission successfully and had to go home from countryside, because sun was down and it became dark.

I was still wondering about the map issue and I stopped at an illuminated car park (There is also no internet connection).

I prepared everything to take off for testing the map/home point.
This time the map was displayed and the well known voice of Ms DJI told me the home point was recorded.

My summary:
1. On whatever reason it can happen, that the cached map is not loaded / displayd.
2. If the map is not displayed Ms DJI voice is not heard and the home marker is not displayed in the map area of the app
3. The home point is recorded independent from internet connection or not and independent from displayed map and voice of Ms. DJI (of course: minimum number of satellites assumed).

I could not reproduce it, because when I went later another day to the same place, where the map was not displayed, everything was fine. No problem.

I keep you posted as soon as I will have this issue with the map again.
2018-8-10
Use props
justin_mcvideo
lvl.4
United States

DJI_112 Posted at 2018-8-10 09:55
justin, I can report similar issue.

I use P4 with Samsung S6 phone without SIM card, because this phone is only used for the drone.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, earlier on, I thought I remembered the offline map would load without internet, but it seems to have stopped.

Here's my method of preloading the map, just in case there's a different way:
I open the DJI GO 4 app at home, connected to internet.  Then in the map, I navigate over to where I'll be flying in the mountains, I zoom in to get detail, and anticipate anywhere I may fly.

I assume the app cache would keep this data available for offline, but maybe it's being wiped now when the app closes or the device powers off.

So how does everybody else preload their maps?  If it's only with the offline maps download, I prefer the satellite view when I'm up in the mountains so I know if there's a drop off right there or not, just in case I need the map.
2018-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules