Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

wobbles
First Officer
Flight distance : 127746

• >>>

Hi folks
Was considering doing the CAA licence for flying the drones , so few questions I have is
1: is it worth doing, what benefits as a drone pilot would I get?
2:any recommendations to a specific course in UK obviously ?
3. Has anyone done it  and would give me bit more info about it , from a student point of view
Thanks guys

2018-7-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only benefit (though a huge one) of gaining the PFCO is that you can turn your drone flights into commercially operations and make money from it's use thus enabling you to set up a photography business or work for one.
I would recommend going through an approved training centre - takes 3 days including both theory and practical exams/assessments plus hours of home based study before the course and writing your own manual. Takes the CAA about a month after passing to issue you with the PFCO then you'll need liability insurance for commercial op's as part of a registered business - which is not cheap.
Unless you intend to operate for commercial purposes the PFCO is pointless. On the flip side, UAV commerical operations in the UK without the PFCO is illegal... Costs for the PFCO course etc are around £1,000 - £1,500 depending on who you use.
2018-7-21
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

You should also be aware that the proposed amendments to the ANO 2016 that are going through parliament will require that all drone operators can satisfy the CAA that they are competent to fly a drone, so some form of test will be required from November 2019 anyway
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uk ... iem_20180623_en.pdf
Things they are a changin.
2018-7-21
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Morning,

I'd give these guys a call:

https://www.heliguy.com/

They helped me when I did my course and gave loads of decent advice beforehand. The name of the training guy has slipped my mind but if you ask for some training advise I'm sure they'll put you through.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mike.
2018-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules