Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Tutorial. Have I been calibrating wrongly?
1389 4 2015-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

i just watched the DJI video tutorial http://youtu.be/HoTdK7izUAA

In it, Ty the DJI rep goes through the calibration procedure. Now he holds the phantom and rotates his whole body. I've always calibrated as per the manual and other tutorials I've watched - I.e. Rotating the phantom on the spot. So which way is the correct method or doesn't it really matter?

Also I noticed the antennas on his controller were angled slightly apart. Do you think that's significant? I always thought they were supposed to be parallel?
2015-5-22
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

l think they show it that way as an exaggeration. Sometimes people will post how their com-cal didn't work, and when they post the video of how they're doing it, on the second part they spin the Phantom on its centre axis rather than rotating it around laterally. ln the DJI vid there is no mistaking the way it  is supposed to turn.

l keep my antennae very slightly bunny-eared also, not perfectly parallel.
2015-5-22
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
United States

I think both ways are OK... As long as the Home location is recorded. I just noticed that with the Phantom 3 if the GPS signal is good you dont have to do the calibration. Automatically it is recorded, but anyway I always do it just to be shure.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I completely agree - it is confusing and I've seen (and used) both methods of calibrating the compass. I would also like a definite declaration of which method is the best.

Also, it is not very smart that Ty does not have the antennas in the optimal position. I somehow think Ty might not really know too well and is more of an actor than an enthusiast.

They even show a video of setting the Fail-Safe altitude to 500 meters which is completely crazy for so many reasons (it would eat up battery going to 500 meters and even more going down (because it takes longer)) and in most areas you're not allowed to go higher than 120 meters or so.

They clearly pushed out these videos without quality control.

-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Remember, these new UAV's are starting to become no longer toys just for geeks.  So to cater to the new breed of customers, the manufacturers will start bringing in the non-techy, model types to help sell their products.  

Funny, I read one post here about those training videos with Ty - the woman added at the end of her post, "And he's not bad to look at either."  LOL  Just proves that sex sells on both sides of the gender isle.  : )  
2015-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules