Traveling with the Mavic Air
1485 9 2018-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

Did my first flight today with my new Mavic Air and it was a great experience.  I plan on taking it with me on vacation to Greece in September.  Does anyone know if I will have a problem with the customs people.  I have heard horror stories that when people travel internationally with drones sometimes they get confiscated by the authorities.
2018-7-21
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Happy to hear that you had great experience with your new Mavic Air. I am not sure about Greece’s regulation for drone but pretty sure a fellow forum member would help here if they know the regulation. You did the correct thing to check ahead of time before your travel. So far I had no issues with bringing drone to USA/Canada/Hong Kong/Indonesia
2018-7-21
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You'll be just fine. Just get a couple of those 'Lipo' bags to store your batteries and take them along with you in your carry on bag. Do not check them in the luggage you plan to check it.

Hey I plan to be in Greece as well in Sept. 2018 what a coincidence.
2018-7-21
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-7-21 17:58
You'll be just fine. Just get a couple of those 'Lipo' bags to store your batteries and take them along with you in your carry on bag. Do not check them in the luggage you plan to check it.

Hey I plan to be in Greece as well in Sept. 2018 what a coincidence.

Thanks for your reply SD Pilot.  Please excuse my ignorance, but why do I need to store the batteries in a "Lipo" bag?  Also I was planning on putting the drone and the batteries in the luggage that I check, is that a bad idea?
2018-7-21
Use props
BHProductions
First Officer
Flight distance : 43018593 ft
United States

I had no issues with the UK/Netherlands/France/Spain

Drone traveller has some drone rules at a glance for Greece. You could start here. It doesnt look like you'll have an issue bringing it to Greece
https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-greece/

Take the batteries and your drone in your carry on. Most if not all airlines do not allow lipo batteries in checked baggage.
2018-7-21
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

BHProductions Posted at 2018-7-21 19:43
I had no issues with the UK/Netherlands/France/Spain

Drone traveller has some drone rules at a glance for Greece. You could start here. It doesnt look like you'll have an issue bringing it to Greece

recomend always carrying batteries in hand luggage as NO AIRLINE alows in hold ,
statement from FAA..
"Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin"
2018-7-22
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft

If you want to fly in Greece, you have to register at HCAA.

Check those links:

http://www.ypa.gr/en/HCAA_UAS_FLT_request_editable.pdf

and

http://www.ypa.gr/en/

Also consider that you can most likely not fly on any island because you are not allowed to fly your drone in a 8km radius of an airport.
2018-7-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry, aside from other suggestions who had experienced flying their drone in Greece, you can check as well their airport policy for you to have an idea and you can also check our Geo zone map so that once you're already in Greece you could be able to avoid those the restricted areas in location. Please see the link.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe
2018-7-22
Use props
Atyl1972
lvl.2

im going to Cyprus in 3 weeks and their law states I have to register my drone with the CAA, and also provide proof of training that I can fly said drone with competency. the course there is roughly €180, can be lower depending on my level of experience, im hoping to buy the drone tomorrow so going to practice as much as possible. but you will need to follow their rules unless you get caught and may have your drone confiscated.
2018-7-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Atyl1972 Posted at 2018-7-22 18:06
im going to Cyprus in 3 weeks and their law states I have to register my drone with the CAA, and also provide proof of training that I can fly said drone with competency. the course there is roughly €180, can be lower depending on my level of experience, im hoping to buy the drone tomorrow so going to practice as much as possible. but you will need to follow their rules unless you get caught and may have your drone confiscated.

Glad to know that you were able to coordinate this with the right department. Please have a safe flight, we're looking forward to your work and share with us. Thank you.
2018-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules