Mavic Suction Mounts?
1292 19 2018-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Saboken
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97224 ft
United States

Anyone know of a Suction or Magnetic mount for the Mavic? I want to mount my MPP either to the hood or Roof of my SUV to get stable shots in areas where drone flight is banned (National Park's) I wish there was a mast I could use like they use for the 360 Google Street View cameras, I am looking into building something that might have PTZ ability (it might not look pretty? I don't have a machine shop) so I can control the  Mavic while a driver drives and I control the drones camera, it just makes sense to use the Mavic over the  Phantom for this! I could just buy a Osmo but I can't justify the cost for something like that I may only use a few times, I have way too much camera equipment now I can almost  be clasifclasa Camera horder  because I am retired and live in a RV space is at a premium! My equipment takes up 2 bunk beds and the entire storage under the Queen Bed
2018-7-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I would not use a Magnetic mount around Mavic, due to possibility of Magnets magnetizing ferrous metal parts of Mavic.  Similar to magnet being used to magnetize screwdriver to hold steel screws.  Have already seen De-maganetizing tools sold due to drones becoming magnaetized enough to effect internal compass.
2018-7-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

If you do end up attaching Mavic to hood or roof of your SUV, drive slowly.  The gimbal on Mavic would not be designed to handle much more than Mavic's maximum MPH.
2018-7-21
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-21 21:59
I would not use a Magnetic mount around Mavic, due to possibility of Magnets magnetizing ferrous metal parts of Mavic.  Similar to magnet being used to magnetize screwdriver to hold steel screws.  Have already seen De-maganetizing tools sold due to drones becoming magnaetized enough to effect internal compass.

I would use shielded magnet like used in A/V Speakers it's not hard to shield a magnet, the only issue would be the Mavic would have to be mounted after the Mount so the field is contained, the GPS and compass is irelevant for this type of use, but your right a strong Magnetic Field is bad news for a drone, I didn't clarify using shielded magnets, back in the day before LCD TVs you had to use shielded Speakers around your TV or it would do a number on the CRT sometimes that required a serious Degaussing but permanent damage still happened if the field was  very strong or lasted a long time.
2018-7-21
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-21 22:04
If you do end up attaching Mavic to hood or roof of your SUV, drive slowly.  The gimbal on Mavic would not be designed to handle much more than Mavic's maximum MPH.

True I don't plan on driving any faster than. The Mavic is designed to fly if I had to go faster I could leave the clear guard on for short times if it's not to warm out.my Yukon is White so the paint doesn't get hot from the sun like dark paint will, the white might cause a glare? But a PL filter should take car of that! I have all the Polar Pro filter's available to date Even the new ND 128, 256 and 1000 filter's
2018-7-21
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-21 21:59

Does the Mavic have Ferrous parts in it? I would have thought Dji would have used Alloys that we're immunne to being magnetized? I never took one apart but using materials that could rust would lower my opinion of DJI! That's something I have to research I never thought of exactly what materials that used? The Tello I can. See it's a budget drone  but anything above that the Mavic isn't a professional drone like the Inspire and M600 but at +$1000 they should have only premium hardware inside them. IMHO
2018-7-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Saboken Posted at 2018-7-21 22:13
I would use shielded magnet like used in A/V Speakers it's not hard to shield a magnet, the only issue would be the Mavic would have to be mounted after the Mount so the field is contained, the GPS and compass is irelevant for this type of use, but your right a strong Magnetic Field is bad news for a drone, I didn't clarify using shielded magnets, back in the day before LCD TVs you had to use shielded Speakers around your TV or it would do a number on the CRT sometimes that required a serious Degaussing but permanent damage still happened if the field was  very strong or lasted a long time.

You could always...
a) Glue a mount for holding Mavic on to hood
b) Strap Mavic to hood of SUV like a dead Deer
c) Redneck it with roll of Wally-world Duck-tape
d) Get out drill and bolt clamps to hood
e) Go Monster Garage (Jesse James), and weld a rad bracket system to hood
2018-7-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

FOTOWELT Cinema Tray, Metal Handheld Gimbal Camera Stabilizer Bracket Kit for DJI Mavic Pro and Platinum Version Drone Accessories

2018-7-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

MuLuo DIY Handheld Gimbal Kit Portable Tripod Gimbal Stabilizers Quick-release for DJI MAVIC PRO

2018-7-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

With one of two above pictured Mavic Pro holders, and some basic home workshop tools, should be able to make a decent system to do what you want.
2018-7-21
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-21 22:30
You could always...
a) Glue a mount for holding Mavic on to hood

That's definitely not going to happen lol my Yukon is second to my photography equipment!  The kids are all grown up so it's me and my Hobbies now! But seriously there should be a mount they make a katana for the Mavic maybe I have to try to find room for a 3D printer so I can makey own parts
2018-7-21
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-21 22:37
MuLuo DIY Handheld Gimbal Kit Portable Tripod Gimbal Stabilizers Quick-release for DJI MAVIC PRO

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Nxa1B6gLL._SL1020_.jpg[/img]

I was looking at those I might have to break out the dremmel and start playing around with some ideas?  Like I said before a 3D printer would really help but space is limited! I am getting a Intel NUC so I can put my PC tower back I storage! The NUC's are really small and almost as powerful as my I7 desktop but the PC weights over 50lbs with 3 Nvidia cards in it! It was built for Gaming and Editing it's just a so bulky in a RV you don't realize how much space stuff takes up until you permanently retire into a RV and I have one of the biggest RVs you can but and it's still too small for me! The wife has here Hobbies also, I should start a FB group for Droners on now the road?
2018-7-21
Use props
UAVNV
lvl.2

United States

I use a fat gecko mount with a katana by polarpro flipped upside down, and use a threaded 1/4 female connector on both sides to attach. You can drive up to ~45mph before the gimbal will start to wane with the wind.
2018-7-23
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Does your SUV have a sunroof?
Just stand up thru it, and use your DSLR camera with a higher quality real lens to get your shots.
2018-7-23
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2018-7-23 11:12
Just stand up thru it, and use your DSLR camera with a higher quality real lens to get your shots.

Yeah it does but it needs to be fixed a branch came down on it during last year's hurricane and damaged the track of I can only let it pop up if I retract it I have to rip the headliner off to close it! And I can't find a used part for it also I don't have a driver my wife is legally blind so she can't drive anymore.
2018-7-23
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2018-7-23 11:12

I also tried something like this before but my Canon isn't very stabilized without say a Ronnin to stabilize it the Mavic will give me nocw steady shots not possible with a handheld DSLR
2018-7-23
Use props
Saboken
lvl.2
United States

UAVNV Posted at 2018-7-23 09:44
I use a fat gecko mount with a katana by polarpro flipped upside down, and use a threaded 1/4 female connector on both sides to attach. You can drive up to ~45mph before the gimbal will start to wane with the wind.

I have to look into those that might be the solution to this? I have until the end of September to find a solution unless they lift the ban or start giving out permits to fly in National Park's by then? I doubt it since people be are still doing stupid stuff with drones like the guy who posted his shot of a plane taking off and passing his quad at 200-300 ft away!
2018-7-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

UAVNV Posted at 2018-7-23 09:44
I use a fat gecko mount with a katana by polarpro flipped upside down, and use a threaded 1/4 female connector on both sides to attach. You can drive up to ~45mph before the gimbal will start to wane with the wind.

Be a little leery of using suction mounts around these here parts.  Enough temperature fluctuation that remaining air inside suction cups heats up, and enough suction is lost, to cause failure.   An Example being oversized sticky suction cups that come with E_____ brand radar detectors.
2018-7-23
Use props
UAVNV
lvl.2

United States

Saboken Posted at 2018-7-23 12:08
Yeah it does but it needs to be fixed a branch came down on it during last year's hurricane and damaged the track of I can only let it pop up if I retract it I have to rip the headliner off to close it! And I can't find a used part for it  also I don't have a driver my wife is legally blind so she can't drive anymore.

you can mount your DSLR to your hood with some wire rope loops & supplies from a local hardware store

example:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb8PCJKlwEY/?taken-by=_creativmotion

the nice thing about the gecko mount is you can put it anywhere, on the side of my vehicle I use ratcheting straps to secure the mount.
2018-7-23
Use props
Sunset Gigolo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6339 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-21 22:30
You could always...
a) Glue a mount for holding Mavic on to hood

that's how they do it at the possum Lodge
2018-7-23