Compass problems attaching OTG to Rc Spark
635 4 2018-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Carel vH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81923 ft

I had a crash a few days ago. Spark and props still ok. Solid build quality.
But how was that possible? I returned the Spark using the arrows on the DJI Go 4 app.

Later I saw that I had a very strange compass problem. The RC changes the compass setting of my iPhone.

So The compass of the iPhone goes gaga after connecting the phone to the RC. I have to remove the cable and do it again. After a few attempts the compass is aligned with the Spark, giving the real directions ofvthe iPhone., meaning that the left corner in my screen gives the same direction as the Spark gives.

Ok, but now it comes. When flying, everything ok, GPS, no interference as far as I know, the compass goes completely wrong again. In the flight, where everything started ok.

No cables, no big iron buildings, nothing, only grass and trees more than 80 feet away.

When the Spark is not visible a RTH is the only thing to do. Flying on compass, as I did a week ago, flies it right into trees (on sportmode, my fault).

So now I can only fly on visual sight.

Who knows about this problem? You could help me a lot

2018-7-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi, I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the compass of your DJI Spark. Since there was a crash that happened before on your Drone. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support for further assessment of the Drone. Please send an email to support@dji.com for further help on the issue that you are facing today. I would highly suggest syncing the flight records of the DJI Spark using your DJI Go 4 application for further analysis.
2018-7-22
Use props
Carel vH
lvl.1

Thanks for answering my question DJI Stephen. Of course I did everything to solve this. Because it can’t be a DJI problem. Everything in the DJI GO4 app shows that there is no problem. And I could check the compass on the iPhone and that directed to far far away.

So I used the best site there is: youtube. With my question. Nothing. Then “how to attach the iPhone to the RC of the DJI Spark. And there I found the solution. You have to take exact the right steps to connect

- start the iPhone first
- airplane modus, no connection whatsoever
- start the DJI go 4 app
- start the Spark
- start the RC
- when both are active and connected: OTG cable in iPhone
- then OTG in RC. Wait for the beep, of not, again.
- examine the position of the red needle and the position of the nord.
- if all ok then put the iPhone in the arms of the RC

I did it in another order. This, I tested it deeply today, is the only way

So now I can fly with the right compass (iPhone, the Spark was ok)

Thanks again

Carel
2018-7-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Carel vH Posted at 2018-7-22 11:40
Thanks for answering my question DJI Stephen. Of course I did everything to solve this. Because it can’t be a DJI problem. Everything in the DJI GO4 app shows that there is no problem. And I could check the compass on the iPhone and that directed to far far away.

So I used the best site there is: youtube. With my question. Nothing. Then “how to attach the iPhone to the RC of the DJI Spark. And there I found the solution. You have to take exact the right steps to connect

Hi, thanks for the updates, glad to know that you were able to fix the issue, however, the OTG cable that we're supporting is for Android devices only as of the moment, if may I ask did you try to use a wi-fi connection to see if there will be a changes with a compass? I would suggest calibrating the IMU and compass of your aircraft before flying it as well.
2018-7-23
Use props
Carel vH
lvl.1

Well I only fly with the OTG cable. Today 3 batteries and sometimes the compass did strange things. That is to say the iPhone compass. Calibrating the compass of the Spark did not make a difference. As I said there is some misunderstanding between the iPhone and the RC using the OTG. I know that the last firmware update was intended for android, not iPhone. Of course I was not all to happy about that.

I never flew with a wifi connection to the RC. I have to test it, tomorrow I can try. Then I can say something about it.
2018-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules