Firware update nightmare
1858 35 2018-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Gittelman
lvl.3

I have 'updated' the firmware for my new spark to the recommendation of the interface at LEAST 6 times and all it keeps telling me when i go to fly is that i need to update the firmware. When I do, it says its ready to fly, I go outside and of course, firmware update required again....i have wasted more time switching between wifi networks, downloading firmware and yelling at the damn thing than ive spent in the air in almost a week between this and weather. What am i doing wrong? everything was fine before the necessary update. DJI wont help, they arent even present on the weekends when most people fly. Im angry, nobody will help, my drone is basically a paperweight (and the only thing that kept my mind of my current situation until recently).

I hope you are watching this thread DJI, your customer service is nothing short of Abysmal. Worthless.
Does anyone have any advice here?

-Paul
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

If you are using Android roll back to v4.2.12 or the old v4.1.15 and enjoy flying mate.

2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 07:12
If you are using Android roll back to v4.2.12 or the old v4.1.15 and enjoy flying mate.

Thats more information than i have been able to gleen in 3 days. How would I do so?
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:14
Thats more information than i have been able to gleen in 3 days. How would I do so?

Will send you the Links Mate. 1 Minute -

For Version v4.2.12 -

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... o-4-4-2-12-release/

For Version v4.1.15 -

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... droid-apk-download/

Let me know how it goes Mate.

2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 07:15

Thank you. This has been extremely unpleasant to say the least.
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:16
Thank you. This has been extremely unpleasant to say the least.

Most probably its a Bug from the Latest DJI GO4 App, I am sure you will solve this.

Just Uninstall, Restart Phone and install v4.1.15 or v4.2.12.

I suggest you go with the v4.1.15 if you haven't flown the Spark yet as there was some 'Cannot Take-Off Error' when you launch the Spark with the 4.2.12 for the First Time.

Usually what I suggest is Install v4.1.15 fly for 2 days, then Upgrade as Needed. If you want to upgrade to v4.2.12 you can do it after 1 day or 2 days, but for now turn off AutoUpdate untill this New Version of DJI Go4 App gets a bit stable. Then Upgrade as needed Mate.

Let me know if all is ok, if you have time.

2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

For Version v4.2.12 -

Im doing this on my android tablet, correct? What version do I really need? I dont really understand.
Thanks again. Im so frustrated im going to the DJI store close to me, im just going to have them do this as im so irritated I dont know if i can do it without becoming completely unhinged.
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:20
Im doing this on my android tablet, correct? What version do I really need? I dont really understand.
Thanks again. Im so frustrated im going to the DJI store close to me, im just going to have them do this as im so irritated I dont know if i can do it without becoming completely unhinged.

Start with this -

V.4.1.15 for Tablet Version -

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... -apk-download/#file

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Uninstall the DJI Go4 App
2) Restart Phone
3) Install the v4.1.15 from the Link Above

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:20

They won't rollback the Version for you Mate, as they will suggest to use the Lastest Firmware.

What you can do is tell them to make it Fly without Problems, Else replace it....

Goodluck Mate !
2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 07:28
They won't rollback the Version for you Mate, as they will suggest to use the Lastest Firmware.

What you can do is tell them to make it Fly without Problems, Else replace it....

It failed, again. No joy. Im going to ask for a refund or upgrade to something else or just go back to yuneec. Their products truly do suck but at least they fly BEFORE they crash. Pathetic for such an expensive product. It works out of the box but firmware updates actually make DJI products stop working completely.

If anyone is paying attention at the mothership, I highly recommend you fix this as its going to cost you plenty of customers.
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:34
It failed, again. No joy. Im going to ask for a refund or upgrade to something else or just go back to yuneec. Their products truly do suck but at least they fly BEFORE they crash. Pathetic for such an expensive product. It works out of the box but firmware updates actually make DJI products stop working completely.

If anyone is paying attention at the mothership, I highly recommend you fix this as its going to cost you plenty of customers.

SkibJob what Tablet are you using ? Maybe its not Supported.

If I were you I would go back to your DJi Store and tell them to set it up for You.
2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 07:20
Most probably its a Bug from the Latest DJI GO4 App, I am sure you will solve this.

Just Uninstall, Restart Phone and install v4.1.15 or v4.2.12.

Turn off auto update on my tablet or on the drone? How would I do so?
2018-7-22
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 07:12

Not anymore DMX
4.2.21 is doing it well according to reports!
2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 07:37
SkibJob what Tablet are you using ? Maybe its not Supported.

If I were you I would go back to your DJi Store and tell them to set it up for You.

Galaxy tab s2, which has worked fine since I bought the drone, I was using my Galaxy s8 active but it was destroyed unfortunately and I dont trust my ZTE spy device tracphone replacement to do anything but, well, spy on me.
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:37
Turn off auto update on my tablet or on the drone? How would I do so?

You only update the Drone from DJI Assistant 2.0 on PC or the DJI Go4 App. If you are talking about the Firmware, you can only Manual Update the Firmware so there will be No AutoUpdating. The AutoUpdating is only for the DJI Go4 App.

What you need to do is that you have the Latest Firmware on your SPARK / Remote Controller / All Batteries.

On the Phone or Table have the DJI Go4 Version of your Choice. Most Stable ones are v.4.1.15 or v.4.2.12 that even Support OTG Cable.
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Maybe these could Help -

2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

This Video Tutorial Helped a lot of New Pilots for Setting Up the New Spark -

2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

Can I manually update the firmware through my PC? The only thing i wanted to do today was to go take some pictures but now im stuck in a room with no windows, again, tapping incessantly on my computer. I kind of wonder how long it would take to fall 15 floors? Would my drone hit the ground before I do?
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-22 07:40
Not anymore DMX
4.2.21 is doing it well according to reports!

Thanks for the Update Dear PMshop, re Latest the Android OS !

I am Glad that the Last Update is working well on Android too !

2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:43
Can I manually update the firmware through my PC? The only thing i wanted to do today was to go take some pictures but now im stuck in a room with no windows, again, tapping incessantly on my computer. I kind of wonder how long it would take to fall 15 floors? Would my drone hit the ground before I do?

Yes download the DJI Assistant 2 on your PC, I sent you a Video on the Previous Post.

https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads

2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

DJI assistant 2 only gives me the option to connect an Inspire 2 through my pc....This is madness. why.
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:53
DJI assistant 2 only gives me the option to connect an Inspire 2 through my pc....This is madness. why.

Did you Register your Spark with DJI ?

1) Connect USB Cable to PC and Spark
2) Turn the Spark POWER 'ON'
3) Launch DJI Assistant 2
4) Log in your DJI Spark's Account

I sent you a Video Tutorial to explain this Mate.

2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 08:05
Did you Register your Spark with DJI ?

1) Connect USB Cable to PC and Spark

Thank you kindly. I watched and was able to amble through the process. I got the 'Go Fly' button, finally. I have in the past after updating the firmware though as well. Im recharging both my batteries currently, as well as my remote. Ill head out here in the next few minutes to go fly, if that's really a thing at this point. At this point I expect nothing or bad conditions. Im truly at the end of my rope with this product as I have spent multitudes more time attempting to set it up, returning the first drone to DJI because of a battery issue, etc etc than I can hope to spend actually flying the damn thing in the next 6 months. Seriously no less that 48 hours of technical problems, faulty products, travel time and rereading manuals. I dont think this machine is even designed to have a maximum life expectancy of that duration. I should be getting paid by DJI to be a guinea pig, as its exactly what ive been doing. Lame crap. Im actually offended and its hard to offend me, I make jokes about eating babies and sacrificing virgins on a regular basis.
-SkinJob2501
Edit: Yes registered since Day 1
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 08:21
Thank you kindly. I watched and was able to amble through the process. I got the 'Go Fly' button, finally. I have in the past after updating the firmware though as well. Im recharging both my batteries currently, as well as my remote. Ill head out here in the next few minutes to go fly, if that's really a thing at this point. At this point I expect nothing or bad conditions. Im truly at the end of my rope with this product as I have spent multitudes more time attempting to set it up, returning the first drone to DJI because of a battery issue, etc etc than I can hope to spend actually flying the damn thing in the next 6 months. Seriously no less that 48 hours of technical problems, faulty products, travel time and rereading manuals. I dont think this machine is even designed to have a maximum life expectancy of that duration. I should be getting paid by DJI to be a guinea pig, as its exactly what ive been doing. Lame crap. Im actually offended and its hard to offend me, I make jokes about eating babies and sacrificing virgins on a regular basis.
-SkinJob2501
Edit: Yes registered since Day 1

Glad you Solved It now Mate.

Happy Flying.

2018-7-22
Use props
Charliejspark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286654 ft
United Kingdom

For Version v4.2.12 -

Do you know can you use the old  4.2.16 with the new firmware?  My mobile all working fine with new everything but though my Tablet has upgraded the firmware its not liking it but  worked perfectly with 4.3.16 before. OTG with everything!
2018-7-22
Use props
SkibJob2501
lvl.3

So I finally got this all to work. It only took a combined 12-14 hours of updating, failing, yelling and trying again....How many hours is the Spark rated to fly before it has a failure? I feel as though I have exceeded that already lol.

I did go out and fly 2 batteries, well 1 1/2 before my tablet decided it was too hot and closed the program on me, leaving me to fly VFR to land, all recorded via audio on the ground as well as video from the bird. I cant quite fauld DJI for that one, its quite toasty here in the South Denver Metro area (not actually in denver but i can see it from here). I wont apologize for being quite angry about this situation as my Spark is my only outlet for some entertainment outside lately, Ive been unemployed and depressed, accused of being psychotic, and starting to feel that way simply through the power of suggestion.

These user interface issues are something that need to be addressed by DJI because of a number of factors, namely my (and i feel others) extremely lowered expectations, not to mention the loss of trust for the company, who simply dont appear to care about anything but turning a profit....

My Suggestions:

Improve the user interface. (im not a tech guy but I know how to run a PC and associated equipment and this was nothing short of causing homicidal rage)

Get better customer support: Yeah you guys are busy, yeah theres lots of customers and yeah, everyone wants a weekend off...That being said, given how large your footprint is therese no excuse for NOT having a few people to man the phones on the weekend. What if it was more important? Someones wedding or birthday party? Being unavailable is thoughtless to say the very least. Intentionally not having staff on the weekends is careless at best.  I have no love in my heart for faceless corporations and this experience certainly doesnt gain DJI any admiration from me. At least Yuneec was always willing to answer the phone, it took 12 weeks to get my gimball replaced the first time, but I could always call for tech support and they where there....

-SkinJob2501
2018-7-22
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Charliejspark Posted at 2018-7-22 10:42
Do you know can you use the old  4.2.16 with the new firmware?  My mobile all working fine with new everything but though my Tablet has upgraded the firmware its not liking it but  worked perfectly with 4.3.16 before. OTG with everything!

Here you go v4.2.16 -

You can Rollback, ONLY for Android Users.

1) Uninstall DJI Go4 App
2) Switch off AutoUpdates from the Play Store
3) Restart Phone
4) Install Old Version you want

2018-7-22
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

I think it canbe much easier. Go to your phones utilities, go in to app management. find the Go4 app, go in there and clean the used memory. You app will start as if it was first time installed and will configure itself as new. It sounds to me that the problem is there. Maybe it asks to update firmware once more, but after that all should be fine. (its kinda same problem with microsoft office apps in android. They hang themselfs in corrupt config data, so cleaning the cache always cures the problem)
2018-7-22
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

wimherman Posted at 2018-7-22 11:16
I think it canbe much easier. Go to your phones utilities, go in to app management. find the Go4 app, go in there and clean the used memory. You app will start as if it was first time installed and will configure itself as new. It sounds to me that the problem is there. Maybe it asks to update firmware once more, but after that all should be fine. (its kinda same problem with microsoft office apps in android. They hang themselfs in corrupt config data, so cleaning the cache always cures the problem)

Im about to start booting and powering up so I can get a few flights in before I have my job interviews today. Ill go ahead and give that a try although I recently wiped my tablet and started over the other day due to some seperate unrelated errors.

Thanks for the Tip!
2018-7-23
Use props
Dan O
lvl.2
Flight distance : 650768 ft
Romania

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-23 06:17
Im about to start booting and powering up so I can get a few flights in before I have my job interviews today. Ill go ahead and give that a try although I recently wiped my tablet and started over the other day due to some seperate unrelated errors.

Thanks for the Tip!

Are you aware that there are 2 updates? one for the drone and one for the RC and they need to be done separetly?
2018-7-23
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

SkibJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-22 07:34

Sorry man, but you need to be pointing the finger more at your Android device in my opinion.  Read threads in this forum and you'll see that it seems most problems happen on Android devices, which isn't a surprise since Android is the wild wild west with multiple versions, multiple manufacturers, no oversight of apps, must be a nightmare for app developers to make software that works flawlessly on hundreds of possible configurations.  Meanwhile us Apple users are happily flying our drones with no problems.  
2018-7-23
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
United Kingdom

For Version v4.2.12 -

DMX ,please be on stand by. The forum requires all the help they can get !!
2018-7-23
Use props
Charliejspark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-22 10:48
Here you go v4.2.16 -

Thanks.  Will try wimhermn suggestion first.
2018-7-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Charliejspark Posted at 2018-7-24 00:28
Thanks.  Will try wimhermn suggestion first.

No problem mate, as long as you solve the problem for yourself all is good.

If you need help let us know Charles.
2018-7-24
Use props
Charliejspark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-24 01:17
No problem mate, as long as you solve the problem for yourself all is good.

If you need help let us know Charles.

Nope tried 4.2.15,  4.2.16 , 4.2.21 on my Samsung Tablet 10.1 and no success with either the WiFi or OTG connection.  Used to work with 4.2.16 before the firmware update.  Am now wondering if it is because its the old Android 5.1.1?
Any suggestions welcomed - running out of options! (other than to buy a new updated tablet!)
2018-7-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Charliejspark Posted at 2018-7-24 06:51
Nope tried 4.2.15,  4.2.16 , 4.2.21 on my Samsung Tablet 10.1 and no success with either the WiFi or OTG connection.  Used to work with 4.2.16 before the firmware update.  Am now wondering if it is because its the old Android 5.1.1?
Any suggestions welcomed - running out of options! (other than to buy a new updated tablet!)

I heard somewhere that with the latest update some old mobile where not supported any more.

Maybe it can be the cause of the Problem with the latest firmware. I am sorry for you mate, hope someone can help you out.

2018-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules