Wow ! My advanced came in 3 days !!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shepherd
lvl.1

United States

So I took it out of the box (yes I watched the videos) and the battery and the controller are charging.

What should be my next step? Do I have to do a software upgrade? if so please point me to a tutorial for noobs.

Thanks
2015-5-22
Use props
Fingerlaker
lvl.2

United States

2015-5-22
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Congrats on arrival of your Phantom, enjoy.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Congrats!

Yes, you should update to the latest firmware. And I advice you to watch all the videos you can (especially the tutorials from DJI) and reading the manual truly is not a bad idea. It will all take some time to fully sink in, speaking from own experience ;)
Best advice is to arm yourself with patience (unless it is inconsequential for you if you smash up your shiny new Phantom ;) )  Baby-steps. It does take an effort to learn this thing. Driving a car is easy enough - but not if you don't know how to   It is sort of the same with these flying machines.

If you haven't flown a quadcopter before, I would get a "toy" quadcopter first and learn to fly (might be too late for that now you already got your Phantom 3). I got myself a Hubsan X4 quadcopter and trained on that. The basic mechanics are the same - and since the Hubsan is more difficult to fly, you will feel quite confident flying the Phantom after mastering the Hubsan   And it won't matter too much if you crash the Hubsan. It can take a beating - and it is MUCH better than crashing your expensive flying camera.

Like I said, go about it without rushing and don't take chances - or you will be likely to do something you'll regret later   Even simple things like installing new firmware can be daunting if you are not used to that sort of thing. So re-read the instructions 3 times and do what it says   (Don't get too confused when it updates in 2 minutes rather than 25 as it says in the instructions).

Good luck and welcome! I bet you'll get bitten by the bug like so many others around here

-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
Shepherd
lvl.1

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-23 08:24
Congrats!

Yes, you should update to the latest firmware. And I advice you to watch all th ...

the update does seem a bit intimidating
2015-5-22
Use props
Shepherd
lvl.1

United States

ok, dumb question time- where do I put the update file on the SD card ? is it possible to explain what is ment by, "Extract the all downloaded files into the root directory of the SD card"
Where is the root directory
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Shepherd Posted at 2015-5-23 12:33
ok, dumb question time- where do I put the update file on the SD card ? is it possible to explain wh ...

The "root directory" just means it should be copied to the microSD card - and you should NOT put in inside a directory/folder. Thats the "root". When you unpack, it unpacks into a folder. You should not copy the folder, but just the "P3X_FW_V01.01.0009.bin" file.

Hope that clarifies it.

Again; I suggest searching YouTube for videos of people showing how to do all these things. It really helps learning, in my opinion. Be prepared that you can spend hours on this, but it might be worth it.
2015-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules