Battery Problems
5043 15 2018-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Virrefirre
New
Flight distance : 264229 ft
Sweden

Okey so I have a Phantom 3 Adv. I bought about 3 years ago, everything have worked fine during this years till one week ago. My Drone battery was like 60% and I was going to charge it for the night (as I always do). So when I wake up my drone was like 10% charge and it blinked 3 times a second. I search it up and it menas that the battery was to warm, so i left it like 2 weeks and now my drone does this: () Please help! (I have also tried to put the battery in ”force charge mode” but that dosent work.I appreciate every answers, thanks!!
/Virrefirre

2018-7-23
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Probably died of old age.  Time for a new one.
2018-7-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know about the issue that you are having with the battery of your DJI Phantom 3 Advance. Upon checking the video. The battery seems to be depleted. I would suggest purchasing a new intelligent flight battery for your DJI Phantom 3 Advance for you to be able to fly your Drone once again.
2018-7-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Three years old is a ripe old age for a DJI lipo.

Obviously you want to try everything you can - maybe you'll get lucky.

I'd clean the posts on the charger and I'd insert and reinsert the posts into the battery to try to force some cleaner onto the battery tabs inside the battery.  Isopropyl alcohol or contact cleaner would work unless you have something better like deoxit.  Obviously you dont' want the charger plugged in.  Then scrub it and wipe it clean.  Insert a few more times.  Wipe.  Insert.  Wipe.  Try charging.  See if that works.

If not,

Then I'd leave it untouched for ten mins and try charging it one more time.  
2018-7-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

In the video - I didn't notice switching on the battery WITHOUT charger ... all I see is check press for charge state and then when charger is plugged in - trying to switch on battery.

Try switching on battery first with double press - THEN plugging in charger.

But word of caution : I read this in your post :

"My Drone battery was like 60% and I was going to charge it for the night (as I always do). So when I wake up my drone was like 10% charge and it blinked 3 times a second. "

NEVER NEVER leave LiPo charging unattended ... and never while you sleep ... I really do not wish to read Obituary of a DJI owner ...

Nigel

2018-7-23
Use props
Virrefirre
New
Flight distance : 264229 ft
Sweden

EDIT: The battery was only one years old.
2018-7-25
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

I have a new battery that a friend of mine  purchased in March 2017 , still in the box and nerve used.  Recently he passed away and I  acquired the battery    The battery is doing the same thing that yours is doing , same lights and everything.  Since mine has never been used it must have discharged a little more than It should. I have seen fixes online about taking the cover off and doing a reset and if that doesn’t work to bypass the chip board and charge it directly  using alligator clips  I’m not sure I’m ready to go down that road. Maybe time to buy another battery.
2018-7-25
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

At least it didn't fail I mid flight.  do the batteries usually give you a warning when its time to dispose of them?
2018-7-27
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

JJMik Posted at 2018-7-27 12:53
At least it didn't fail I mid flight.  do the batteries usually give you a warning when its time to dispose of them?

Not really. You can see a bad cell and notice  shorter flight time   DJI said we should get 200  cycles easily out of a battery before it’s time to buy another one    If battery starts to act up I say it’s time to replace why take the chance   
2018-7-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Virrefirre Posted at 2018-7-25 04:20
EDIT: The battery was only one years old.

Aloha Virrefirre,

Nigel may have pointed out your problem, never leave a battery charging overnight.  Everything I have ever read about LiPo batteries warn against overcharging.  As soon as the battery is charged, disconnect it.  Sure there are suggestions that the light is off therefore it is not being overcharged, but is that in fact happening?  At well over $100 US, it is not a chance I am willing to take, so I unplug mine.

Otherwise, try Nigel's other suggestions and see if they work.  My fingers are crossed for you!  Good luck!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

According to information given me by DJI agents and also communications to Service Techs ... the 200 cycle statement is for FULL cycle counts and they also say that if the battery counter reaches 200 - it will NOT stop working.

Given the way the counter actually increments its cycle count - 200 actually is more like 400 - 500 flights at least because of the incremental counting regime. That also means that most people will not actually reach that number before other factors come into play.

My point about charging overnight is two fold :

1. It is definitely unsafe to charge ANY LiPo unattended. Regardless of any statements about DJI safeguards built in.

2. The charger DJI give you is a 'dumb brick' power block. It is purely a regulated voltage provider similar to whats powering your laptop computer. That 'charger' thumps out power regardless and its only the battery charge control board that sits between it and the cells. At least a proper LiPo charger shuts off at full ... the DJI does not.

Back to my suggestion ....

Switch on battery first - THEN plug in charger. Leave it alone and see if after an hour or so any change. If not - then its anybody's guess whats wrong.

Nigel
2018-7-28
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-7-28 04:12
According to information given me by DJI agents and also communications to Service Techs ... the 200 cycle statement is for FULL cycle counts and they also say that if the battery counter reaches 200 - it will NOT stop working.

Given the way the counter actually increments its cycle count - 200 actually is more like 400 - 500 flights at least because of the incremental counting regime. That also means that most people will not actually reach that number before other factors come into play.

Great points solentlife !! Also  it’s not good to charge the LiPo’s and the let it sit until  the next day. Only charged it right before you use it.
2018-7-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

JJMik Posted at 2018-7-27 12:53

Battery Life is listed under Battery, in the Android app, but it was removed from the more robust iOS app... which is a reduculous act of betrayal, to us loyal Apple customers...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Battery life is a ridiculous item to have shown. It all depends on how used , abused the battery is.....

Nigel
2018-7-29
Use props
bill jackson
lvl.1

United States

my battery lights are doing the exact same thing. Ive flown it maybe 8 to10 times.  tried to do the tricks posted but nothings works. Ordered 2 more batteries
2018-8-24
Use props
JF West Coast
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40971 ft
Canada

I had 5 batteries for my Phantom 4, now I’m down to 3.
2021-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules