Recovered from failed P3 Prof. FW 1.1.9 upgrade!
8826 18 2015-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gustave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138 ft
Netherlands

I'd like to share an unpleasant experience I had, which turned out all right.

I got an email from DJI about a new firmware upgrade (v 1.1.9) for the Phantom 3. When I came home I downloaded the fw to my SD card. I was not really focused and when I switched on the P3 I did not get the beeps I expected. So I thought. I let the FW upgrade continue for a while when I thought things went bad and after 15 min I switched of the copter. That was not smart and when I switched the P3 back on again, it continiously beeped and I could not connect with it anymore.

I thought that I had bricked the Phantom and had no clue how to proceed. I was afraid I had to sent the Phantom in for repair.

Then I used the 24/7 online support button on the DJI support website (which came up in chinese) and after fiddling around a bit I got a DJI rep on the other site. He/she guided me through the steps to regain control over the P3 and finish the upgrade.

I had to format the SD card again, put the FW bin file on it, stick it in the slot and switch on the P3 again. It started beeping again like before but after 10 min. or so the beeping stopped. The fw upgrade had succeeded after all.

Pfffff.
2015-5-22
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.2

Lithuania

This is why you should read how to update FW before actually doing that. PDF describes what signs indicates end of the update and even that it takes more than 15mins.
2015-5-22
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

No need to update RC.  I could not get it to upgrade to 119 anyway. P3 updated ok.
2015-5-22
Use props
mekorff
lvl.2

United States

All -- if you take a look at the release notes, it clarifies that there is no need to update the RC as long as it is already on 1.1.8 (see bottom bullet point).  Hope this helps:

Major Updates:
1. Fixed issue of some aircraft unable to determine their altitudes.
2. Fixed issue of the DJI Pilot app unable to obtain and display battery error history.
3. Fixed issue of the compass calibration progress not being displayed properly.
Notice:
 Users are advised to update the firmware version to v1.1.9, otherwise future firmware will not be able
to install.
 Users may skip updating the remote controller if they have already updated the firmware to v1.1.8, as
the latest firmware update does not affect the remote controller.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Did you happen to have the Remote turned ON while you tried updating?

I did that at first...

Even though the instructions clearly said to ensure it was off before updating (I claim I was a victim of the old RC-basic truth to always turn on the transmitter/remote first and then the aircraft...).

I need to take my own medicine and be patient and take things slowly and without rushing when dealing with my Phantom

-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
jamesmcleandev
lvl.1

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-23 05:37
Did you happen to have the Remote turned ON while you tried updating?

I did that at first...  ...

How did you fix this issue? I didn't know not to turn on the controller while updating the phantom 3. My phantom 3 professional was updating and I went and charged the transmitter in the same room. Curious as to how you got it fixed.
2015-6-1
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

I had an issue upgrading the P3 firmware (brand new out of the box, never turned on) to 1.1.9 where it started upgrading ok for about 15 mins, but then started beeping rapidly instead of the "D-DD" beeps.

I tried power cycling and tried again, same issue.

I copied the .bin file onto another SD card (16Gb that came with the P3) and the upgrade worked fine, completed in only about 5 mins.  I'm suspecting it didn't like trying to upgrade from a 64Gb (brand new) SD card, as it wasn't formatted in the P3.
2015-6-1
Use props
jamesmcleandev
lvl.1

United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-6-2 12:24
I had an issue upgrading the P3 firmware (brand new out of the box, never turned on) to 1.1.9 where  ...

Did it connect to the Dji pilot app? Because for me I'm having problems connecting to the app.
These are the steps I've taken after updating the app to v1.1.2 and the phantom 3 to v1.1.9:

turn on transmitter.
then turn on phantom 3.
attach cable to phone then attach cable to transmitter.
turn on app.
I get nothing.  The top center of the app indicates "Disconnected"
2015-6-1
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

After the firmware worked ok (checked the .txt file on the SD card to confirm this) everything worked perfectly.  I didn't try and connect the phone/controller to the P3 after the upgrade failed the first time no.
2015-6-1
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

jamesmcleandev@ Posted at 2015-6-2 11:39
How did you fix this issue? I didn't know not to turn on the controller while updating the phantom ...

I just did what the PDF "How to update Firmware" says to do. To the letter.

Just don't turn on the Remote Control. For that matter, don't recharge it while updating. Don't do anything than what it says in the document.

If you've copied the firmware file (unpack the ZIP and copy the .BIN to the SD-card (to the root - meaning don't put it in a folder).

Don't do anything BUT put the microSD in the Phantom and turn in on. It should do the D-D-D-D untill it does the D-DD at which time it is done (and you turn off the Phantom before removing the SD-card and before trying to fly etc.).

Read the microSD card from your computer and read the .txt what will give a messages - "success" or otherwise.

But don't just follow this guide (written from memory). Read the "How To Upgrade Firmware" PDF and just do what it says. It does work. Just don't do ANYTHING but what it says. Thats what I did wrong at one time - I turned on the Remote and then it didn't work. No harm done though - I just started over and it worked fine.

Good luck
2015-6-2
Use props
jamesmcleandev
lvl.1

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-2 19:20
I just did what the PDF "How to update Firmware" says to do. To the letter.

Just don't turn on the ...

The problem is I did follow the steps and I checked the txt file and it said success. My problem is not being able to connect to the app
2015-6-3
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

jamesmcleandev@ Posted at 2015-6-3 20:24
The problem is I did follow the steps and I checked the txt file and it said success. My problem i ...

Can you explain your problem in detail? What you do (step by step) and what happens and what does not work?

It might be an issue of having to rebind the camera and transmitter? I don't remember how to do this exactly but I need more details about the problem before I will look it up.
2015-6-3
Use props
fiskld
lvl.2

United States

After I updated my P3 to the latest I just checked my firmware version in the pilot app and it said 1.9 for the copter. Looks like it's all good.
2015-6-3
Use props
jamesmcleandev
lvl.1

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-4 03:49
Can you explain your problem in detail? What you do (step by step) and what happens and what does  ...

I have updated the firmware on the p3 pro, transmitter and the dji app for iPhone 6+. ALL up to date.

I turn on the transmitter wait for 3 sec then turn on the phantom 3. When I turn on the phantom 3 it does the regular Phantom startup noise. Then after a couple of secs the phantom makes a (D--DD) sound only ONCE.  ( I ignore at this point)

Then attach the iPhone 6+ to the transmitter. The phone is already turned on. I open the app and it asks to trust the computer. I press yes. I go to the camera icon(where I'm suppose to see what the camera sees) and all it says on the top middle is "DISCONNECTED". I can't see anything. (I know the app is suppose to say something and I would proceed to connect the phantom to the device)

I do the same process with my friend's galaxy note and it works fine.

I really appreciate your help.
2015-6-3
Use props
waynegilmore
New

Philippines

where we can download v1.1.8 firmware to update our RC?
2015-6-3
Use props
waynegilmore
New

Philippines

mekorff@gmail.c Posted at 2015-5-23 04:23
All -- if you take a look at the release notes, it clarifies that there is no need to update the RC  ...

2015-6-4
Use props
jamesmcleandev
lvl.1

United States

waynegilmore Posted at 2015-6-4 15:58

v1.1.8 for the rc and transmitter are no longer available. Even if you had the .bin zip file you won't be able to put it back on the phantom.
2015-6-4
Use props
randyhale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17461 ft
United States

Hello Gustave, Thanks SOOOOO much for posting your initial post.  I too thought I had bricked my phantom but your advice saved me.  Sincere thanks for posting. R
2015-8-18
Use props
Comfortawnings
New

Australia

I have got this problem right now and I have tried everything.
I was wondering what particular steps did you do to successfully get the plane to upgrade.
I have tried deleting files, downloading programs into the SD card, restarting the P3S and many more.
Thank you in advance for your advice.
2015-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules