Can you track yourself via the main camera on an iPhone?
4830 6 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans01b6162a
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I just bought my Osmo Mobile 2 yesterday and getting to grips with how to use it today.

I really want to use the device to film videos of myself out in the field demonstrating macro photography using an iPhone 6s.

I've worked out how to do the video tracking on the facetime camera ie the one facing you. But the resolution on this camera is low. I want to use the main camera to get the full resolution of the camera. But how do you select yourself when you are facing the camera and you can not see what's happening on the screen?

Am I missing something obvious?

All the best,
Oliver
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, I would like to clarify first, are you trying to track yourself using the camera which is located at the back of your iPhone 6s, not on the front facing camera?
2018-7-25
Use props
Brolly99
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-25 11:17
Hi, I would like to clarify first, are you trying to track yourself using the camera which is located at the back of your iPhone 6s, not on the front facing camera?

The front/rear camera thing is a little confusing.

To try and make it as unambiguous as possible.

When the iPhone is attached to the Osmo so you are using the camera that is facing you. I’ve found it easy to see your face in the camera and therefore select it.

Using the main camera on the other side of the phone. There’s no way to see your face on the screen. Therefore how can you select it?

Using the main camera the selecting works as I did on a friends face. But for me one of the key things I wanted to do was use this in the field on my own and use the main camera to track me.

Is there a way of doing this?

Oliver
2018-7-25
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I think that you would have to have someone else select the target (you) for tracking.  Unless there is some sort of remote screen app that would let you control the phone on the osmo from another phone in your hand.  I have never seen an app like that but that doesn't mean that one does not exist.
2018-7-25
Use props
Brolly99
lvl.1
United Kingdom

LouisP Posted at 2018-7-25 13:27
I think that you would have to have someone else select the target (you) for tracking.  Unless there is some sort of remote screen app that would let you control the phone on the osmo from another phone in your hand.  I have never seen an app like that but that doesn't mean that one does not exist.

That was sort of the conclusion I was coming too. Not being able to use the main camera (which is by far the better camera on the iPhone6S) to track myself if I'm on my own (which I often am on these shoots) is a bit of a limitation.  
2018-7-25
Use props
8TrackMind
lvl.1
Canada

Brolly99 Posted at 2018-7-25 13:48
That was sort of the conclusion I was coming too. Not being able to use the main camera (which is by far the better camera on the iPhone6S) to track myself if I'm on my own (which I often am on these shoots) is a bit of a limitation.

One great idea would be for DJI to incorporate simple gesturing in the GO app for the Mobile 2, like in their drones. There, you just make a picture gesture with your hands, and after 5 seconds the drone will take a photo. Something like that for the gimbal app, except with starting video instead of taking a picture, would be really helpful.
2018-7-25
Use props
fans03055fca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6591 ft
Spain

8TrackMind Posted at 2018-7-25 17:16
One great idea would be for DJI to incorporate simple gesturing in the GO app for the Mobile 2, like in their drones. There, you just make a picture gesture with your hands, and after 5 seconds the drone will take a photo. Something like that for the gimbal app, except with starting video instead of taking a picture, would be really helpful.

I have the same issue and cannot track myself and I believe this should be solved asap as with COVID19 not so many people are around to help setting the Osmo in tracking mode :-(
2020-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules