Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can't properly balance Ronin S
31226 35 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd7c75b10
New

United States

Hello,

I can balance my Ronin-S upright and straight, so no matter what way I move the camera it doesn't budge, but when I get to back axis, even though I seem to get it level, the camera doesn't stay put when I move it left to right.

I've watched like every video there is and I'm doing exactly what they do but it just doesn't stay. I've spent hours on just that one part alone.

I'm probably doing something wrong but I really don't get what or how?
2018-7-25
Use props
fansd7c75b10
New

United States

Here is a video showing that it balances up, down, and straight. But no matter how many minor adjustments I do, I can't blance it left or right at an angle.

https://vimeo.com/281656293
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don’t worry, your balance looks fine from the video. The offset motor angle has slight variances when you tighten down the knob. Power up, go into the motor parameters in the app and look at the power on the Roll axis. If it’s close to 0, it’s fine.
2018-7-25
Use props
fansd7c75b10
New

Thanks, Paul. It is at zero or next to zero and calibration says all points are "EXCELLENT", but still scares me that I couldn't do what.. it seems like everyone else I'd getting after just a few tries. So hopefully that doesn't mean anything.
2018-7-25
Use props
DrMrdalj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1265978 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-7-25 09:41
Don’t worry, your balance looks fine from the video. The offset motor angle has slight variances when you tighten down the knob. Power up, go into the motor parameters in the app and look at the power on the Roll axis. If it’s close to 0, it’s fine.

Hello DJI-Paul,

This topic is already discussed in several threads, while we did not get any official answer there.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D531%26typeid%3D531
May I ask you to look at following links and make your comment.
I  have uploaded short video showing the problem of leveling roll axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5tvtm ... s%20roll01.mp4?dl=0

Next, there is problem with in-app balance test that reports "Pan:Re-balance needed", which started to appear after firmware upgrade to 1.3.0.20. I am using iOS app ver 1.1.2(111). While researching this problem I downgraded firmware to previous version 1.2. and report went back to "Pan:Excellent". I upgraded firmware again to current 1.3 and report appeared again "Pan:Re-balance needed" while balance has not changed in the meantime even a bit.

While trying to test and re-balance pan axis several times, I found out that pan rotation on my piece of Ronin-S is not uniform - there are some sweet spots where pan arm returns on its own, please see the video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wr5jt7 ... -s%20pan01.mp4?dl=0

I kindly ask for clarification and your directions. Thanks!
2018-7-25
Use props
DrMrdalj
lvl.4
  • >>>
Serbia

fansd7c75b10 Posted at 2018-7-25 13:24
Thanks, Paul. It is at zero or next to zero and calibration says all points are "EXCELLENT", but still scares me that I couldn't do what.. it seems like everyone else I'd getting after just a few tries. So hopefully that doesn't mean anything.

May I ask you which firmware version do you use and which app version? Is it latest fw 1.3.0.20? Have you experienced “Pan:Re-balance neede” while using in-app balance test?

Regarding DJI-Paul’s comment pleas note that this is not proper test of gimbal balance - power of  roll motor will be always  close to 0 if camera is leveled by itself in its starting horizontal position, even if it is bottom heavy roll motor power will be 0 as roll tends to level by itself.

Proper test would be monitoring motor power  when camera is rolled  by 45  degress - therefore you should tilt camera by controls or by push positioning and then monitor roll motor power. On properly balanced gimbal motor power will be close to 0 even then - if camera and gimbal do not move even when camera is rolled by 45 degrees. Next, note that unbalanced roll demands more motor power even in panning.

2018-7-25
Use props
fansd7c75b10
New

DrMrdalj Posted at 2018-7-25 13:43
May I ask you which firmware version do you use and which app version? Is it latest fw 1.3.0.20? Have you experienced “Pan:Re-balance neede” while using in-app balance test?

Regarding DJI-Paul’s comment pleas note that this is not proper test of gimbal balance - power of  roll motor will be always  close to 0 if camera is leveled by itself in its starting horizontal position, even if it is bottom heavy roll motor power will be 0 as roll tends to level by itself.

I'll have to check when I get home but no, I've never received a failure. I've made it uneven, powered it back up, did the test and it told me one of the areas was bad, but that's it.

Also, that's my issue. I can't get through tilt axis to stay in one spot like I can for up and down.
2018-7-25
Use props
fansd7c75b10
New

DrMrdalj Posted at 2018-7-25 13:43

Sorry if double posting is bad here, don't see an edit button.

Here's what I get during the test and my firmware.

I'm on the Google Pixel 2 XL with the lastest version of Android beta.

2018-7-25
Use props
DrMrdalj
lvl.4
  • >>>
Serbia

fansd7c75b10 Posted at 2018-7-25 14:13
Sorry if double posting is bad here, don't see an edit button.

Here's what I get during the test and my firmware.

Thanks. I see that you use original firmware 1.1 while there is published  next 1.2 and now there is even new one 1.3.0.20. I did not have any error messages until I upgraded to recent firmware 1.3.0.20 - up to that upgrade my in-app balance report was same as yours.

Nevertheless, for heavier cameras I find that precise balance is of great importance, more so when you move your gimbal fast in rough conditions (car mounts, boats and similar). Therefore I kindly aks DajI Paul to share his comments on this topic.
2018-7-25
Use props
fansd7c75b10
New

United States

DrMrdalj Posted at 2018-7-25 14:32
Thanks. I see that you use original firmware 1.1 while there is published  next 1.2 and now there is even new one 1.3.0.20. I did not have any error messages until I upgraded to recent firmware 1.3.0.20 - up to that upgrade mug in-app balance report was same as yours.

Nevertheless, for heavier cameras I find that precise balance is of great importance, more so when you move your gimbal fast in rough conditions (car mounts, boats and similar).

Yeah, that is my concern. I mean everything works in the app and controls, feels smooth. But the fact that I can't get it to stay in one spot with the 45 degree tilt like literally everyone else is bugging me so much.
2018-7-25
Use props
DrMrdalj
lvl.4
  • >>>
Serbia

fansd7c75b10 Posted at 2018-7-25 14:36
Yeah, that is my concern. I mean everything works in the app and controls, feels smooth. But the fact that I can't get it to stay in one spot with the 45 degree tilt like literally everyone else is bugging me so much.

It may get you some comfort to learn that similar mechanical  problems exist on several low budget gimbals of other chinese manufacturers. Nevertheless, if I am to invest in DJI ecosystem of accessories I hope at least for basic functionality to be perfect.
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DrMrdalj Posted at 2018-7-25 14:41
It may get you some comfort to learn that similar mechanical  problems exist on several low budget gimbals of other chinese manufacturers. Nevertheless, if I am to invest in DJI ecosystem of accessories I hope at least for basic functionality to be perfect.

I'm posting this answer I've provided before.

For the Roll axis, as long as it's not tilting one way when you let go, it should be fine. The non-orthogonal design plus the variances when you tighten down the roll adjustment knob will offset the system by that tiny 0.00 degree. If you try to balance the gimbal with a lighter load it'll hold the roll position but a larger load will be harder to hold every angle.  There is no power being used and you can tell when you look at the power values in the app when you tilt the handle left or right.

Just try to shoot and see if you're getting any roll issues.
2018-7-25
Use props
DrMrdalj
lvl.4
  • >>>
Serbia

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-7-25 21:06
I'm posting this answer I've provided before.

For the Roll axis, as long as it's not tilting one way when you let go, it should be fine. The non-orthogonal design plus the variances when you tighten down the roll adjustment knob will offset the system by that tiny 0.00 degree. If you try to balance the gimbal with a lighter load it'll hold the roll position but a larger load will be harder to hold every angle.  There is no power being used and you can tell when you look at the power values in the app when you tilt the handle left or right.

Hi DJI Paul,

Thank you for the  answer regarding the roll leveling issue. I kindly ask you to comment on “Re-balance needed” issue introduced with latest firmware and on pan motor non-even movement (see my post above and enclosed videos).

I must confess that I am puzzled  with roll leveling to horizontal in less then two seconds  even when system is turned upside down (see enclosed video in my post above).. Does tightened clamp still has some super-sligh mechanical play so CG drops below the axis itself? As power user and promoter of DJI products I will have to axplain this matter to other knowledgeable people, so please be so kind to point out what am I missing.

2018-7-26
Use props
Wfuzaia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 262051 ft
  • >>>
Saudi Arabia

DrMrdalj Posted at 2018-7-25 13:25
Hello DJI-Paul,

This topic is already discussed in several threads, while we did not get any official answer there.

Next, there is problem with in-app balance test that reports "Pan:Re-balance needed", which started to appear after firmware upgrade to 1.3.0.20. I am using iOS app ver 1.1.2(111). While researching this problem I downgraded firmware to previous version 1.2. and report went back to "Pan:Excellent". I upgraded firmware again to current 1.3 and report appeared again "Pan:Re-balance needed" while balance has not changed in the meantime even a bit.

me too facing this problem after firmware update to 1.3.0.20
2018-7-27
Use props
Mikex
lvl.3

the same issue
2018-7-30
Use props
fans2e123b03
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188166 ft
Canada

Is anyone else's ronin also slightly tilted left after re-centre ? I can't figure it out why my camera is slightly facing left..
2018-8-10
Use props
fans887af746
lvl.1

Hello DJI-Paul,

I have the same issue with the Pan:re-balance needed and I also confirmed it goes away with the older firmware.  However I suspect that what is causing this problem is not a firm ware issue but a weak pan motor.

I have tested all the motors by pushing against them with slight resistance.  The roll and tilt motors act normally but the pan motor give a single shudder or shock at the first bit of resistance.  I also can feel this while whip panning.  I am currently trying to get DJI to resolve it.  I don't believe its a firmware issue as I felt the same pulse from the motor in the earlier firmwares when I back dated it.
2018-8-28
Use props
fans887af746
lvl.1

Hello DJI-Paul,

I have the same issue with the Pan:re-balance needed and I also confirmed it goes away with the older firmware.  However I suspect that what is causing this problem is not a firm ware issue but a weak pan motor.

I have tested all the motors by pushing against them with slight resistance.  The roll and tilt motors act normally but the pan motor give a single shudder or shock at the first bit of resistance.  I also can feel this while whip panning.  I am currently trying to get DJI to resolve it.  I don't believe its a firmware issue as I felt the same pulse from the motor in the earlier firmwares when I back dated it.
2018-8-28
Use props
mnliew
lvl.2
Singapore

I am hving the Same issue Pan “ rebalancing required”
Firmware is 1.3

I tried balancing it on both D850 a d  G85 both give same error Pan need rebalancing

Any update?
I just got my gimbal one week ago
2018-9-9
Use props
djiuser_tbZLEhO7g5X6
lvl.1

United States

Same issue here.
2018-9-12
Use props
djiuser_JTHvbuY80z7K
New

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-7-25 09:41
Don’t worry, your balance looks fine from the video. The offset motor angle has slight variances when you tighten down the knob. Power up, go into the motor parameters in the app and look at the power on the Roll axis. If it’s close to 0, it’s fine.

Quick question I keep getting message that tells me to rebalance pan axis even though properly balanced is that the same thing please help
2018-9-14
Use props
oshore
New
United States

I am having difficulties balancing my Sony a6500 on my Ronin S. It will not balance when the camera is facing upwards - it seems as it is too light although it says that it is compatible for balance/stabilization with the Sony a6500. I tried two different lenses (both sony e-mount lenses), which were the 10mm-18mm F4 lens & the 35mm F1.8 lens. I have been saying online that the Sony a6500 is too light in some scenarios with the Ronin S, but it should work. What should I do to fix this? Purchase a roll cage? This is all pretty upsetting considering there should be no issues with the compatibility of the Sony a6500. Please let me know.  Thanks,  Oliver
2018-9-23
Use props
fanse2b2d8ab
New
Australia

Hey guys
I am having the  same problem pan re needed  balance is there  solution?
2018-9-29
Use props
djiuser_rLTv6dRbkEbd
lvl.1
Australia

I’m having the same problem. When I put the move to a 45 degree angle I’m getting power of 10-30 sometimes. Feel like something is wrong, only bought yesterday.
2018-9-30
Use props
fansa62a4ea1
lvl.1

Canada

Wfuzaia Posted at 2018-7-27 13:07

me too facing this problem after firmware update to 1.3.0.20

I have the same issue too. I followed every single step from the tutorial. My gimbal stays still no matter how much i tilt it. But when i test it through the app. It always shows up pan:rebalance needed.
2018-9-30
Use props
jnava55
lvl.1
United States

Same issue here...I feel that when i am switching from the upright mode to the horizontal position, it never is straight as well...it will begin to roll left in my case...really aggravating and have been scouring for answers
2018-10-4
Use props
task4
New
Netherlands

Same issue here, Pan:Re-balance needed, while it looks pretty stable to me.
However I haven't filmed yet.
2018-10-22
Use props
task4
New
Netherlands

task4 Posted at 2018-10-22 03:20
Same issue here, Pan:Re-balance needed, while it looks pretty stable to me.
However I haven't filmed yet.

Ah, I updated to the latest firmware version and now everything is excellent.
2018-10-22
Use props
richyg79
lvl.1
United States

Does anyone know how to balance the camera vertical so I can capture for IGTV or instagram stories? I figured how to get decent results while shooting in flash light mode but it tends to jerk violently back into horizontal "home" position.
2018-10-24
Use props
Caraway Studios
New
United Kingdom

Hi there, I have been getting the exact same issue with "pan-rebalance needed" on the latest firmware release! I'm sure something isn't working right, as the pan tracking works well when I turn left, but is noticeably lagging behind when I turn right. I've performed all the balance tests and it is manually balanced perfectly as shown in the official videos, but I still get this problem. This is a brand new device opened today.
2018-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Caraway Studios Posted at 11-12 14:57
Hi there, I have been getting the exact same issue with "pan-rebalance needed" on the latest firmware release! I'm sure something isn't working right, as the pan tracking works well when I turn left, but is noticeably lagging behind when I turn right. I've performed all the balance tests and it is manually balanced perfectly as shown in the official videos, but I still get this problem. This is a brand new device opened today.

Hi Caraway , sorry for the troubles with Pan axis, please tilt the device 45°, then check if the Power value of the Pan motor is in the range of +/-5. If not, the device will need to be balanced again.
Besides, what is the version of the APP? Is it v1.1.4? If there is a lag, please try to calibrate the joystick to see if it helps.
2018-11-13
Use props
GiuFed 68
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7110 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Good evening, if I understand correctly, there is no solution for the safety of the roll axis for heavy cameras, right?
I have the same problem with a Lumix S1 with 24 105, I can't calibrate the roll. Moving it left or right always returns to the center.
2019-6-22
Use props
Pablo Ceas
New

I have the exact same problem, I even take it to some Gimbal pro,s and they run all the test telling me that the Gimbal is running perfect but they cant explain why the app is sharing the PAN : re balance needed ! as long as the Ronin have no trouble with that. I just now have read that forum comments regarding to this problem and I am happy to learn that is an app problem not a Gimbal one, so I confirm that i got the same issue and to inform that I test mine with the real certified videographers and the gimbal is in perfect balance even the all do not say so ! Dont worry your Ronin works great !  
2019-9-4
Use props
Pablo Ceas
New

I am using the App version 1.2.2 and i got the same problem Pan rebalance needed ? Its there a real problem with the app if there is someone from DJI who can give a real explanation for this ?
2019-9-4
Use props
Mike Russell
New

United States

I cant balance my 16-35 2.8 ii canon 80d for the life of me. I had my 18-55mm kit lens on there and it balanced good I guess but I could not get smooth movements even with the kit lens balanced.i had for year and shot like 10 music videos with my kit len's and wasnt comfortable with it since day one.bought the ronin s brand new. I ended up ordering and feiyu mg v2. See how that works.i hope will work with my new 16-35 lens.this is crazy haha
2020-4-19
Use props
djiuser_389LdnwpRq5t
New

United States

Did you ever get this working correctly? I've been trying to balance mine for two days an I'm getting so frustrated.
2020-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules