New firmware, new problem? Hovering out of balance?
1703 17 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2723 ft
Canada

Hello guys,

At first, when I was in ATTI mode, the drone started drifting. I'll try again tomorrow see if it's the same thing during the day. Unfortunately I didn't get it on video. What I got on video is the drone hovering up and down by itself and drifting away slowly but not as intense as the first time. Maybe it was becasue ambient light is weak. Here's the video.

2018-7-25
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>

From experience with a few Mavic Pros, this is expected at low light situations. It uses the vision sensors to give that rock solid feel we're used to from this machine. At night its relaying only on GPS so you should have a good amount of locked sats.
Im not saying this is ok and acceptable, I just mean that this is how the Mavic Pro behaves.
2018-7-25
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Canada

I'll try it again another day see what it does with more locked sats and more light. I was skeptical that it was because of the new update since I read that sometimes the aircraft doesn't hover normally.
2018-7-25
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Did you calibrate IMU and compass after firmware upgrade?
2018-7-25
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Canada

No I didn't! Might have calibrated the compass, but not the IMU? Would this necessitate the assistant?
2018-7-25
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Normally you don’t need calibrate IMU. DJI support just recommend me to recalibrate IMU after firmware upgrade. May be you can try to see if it help.
2018-7-25
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Canada

GDL Posted at 2018-7-25 20:16
Normally you don’t need calibrate IMU. DJI support just recommend me to recalibrate IMU after firmware upgrade. May be you can try to see if it help.

Does IMU mean recalibrating all the sensors with the computer?
2018-7-25
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

gr4v1ty Posted at 2018-7-25 20:17
Does IMU mean recalibrating all the sensors with the computer?

No, go into the app, and from advanced settings/sensors then you can recalibrate the IMU and compass.

2018-7-25
Use props
Fingers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

I think that the drone drifting in atti mode is nothing unusual.
2018-7-25
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Canada

Fingers Posted at 2018-7-25 21:09
I think that the drone drifting in atti mode is nothing unusual.

Oh really? Could you explain why? There's no wind, nothing to make it drift.
2018-7-26
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

gr4v1ty Posted at 2018-7-26 04:35
Oh really? Could you explain why? There's no wind, nothing to make it drift.

Perhaps I could provide an answer.

In ATTI mode (where no GPS/GLONASS lock, and no VPS (bad light) ).

In this mode the aircraft does not know its position, it will hold its attitude or level steady, and also its altitude (using onboard barometer). It will adjust the motor speeds as needed for it to hold the aircraft level, and at the altitude indicated by its barometer, in doing so it pays no attention to the position (as no GPS at this time). So by the time the errors in IMU level and barometer inaccuracies (also errors in motor adjustments) are taken into account, this will cause some drift or change of position. At least, that is my understanding :-)
2018-7-26
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-26 05:20
Perhaps I could provide an answer.

In ATTI mode (where no GPS/GLONASS lock, and no VPS (bad light).

Thanks for sharing the knowledge! I tried this morning and everything looked fine
2018-7-26
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

gr4v1ty Posted at 2018-7-26 05:27
Thanks for sharing the knowledge! I tried this morning and everything looked fine

That's good to hear, just remember and practice in wide open areas to start with and all should be fine.

In the Mavic Pro ATTI is a fall-back mode only (not selectable), but in the P4 series it can be chosen as a flight mode in the way that 'P mode' (Position) and 'Sport mode' on the Mavic Pro.
2018-7-26
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-26 06:20
That's good to hear, just remember and practice in wide open areas to start with and all should be fine.

In the Mavic Pro ATTI is a fall-back mode only (not selectable), but in the P4 series it can be chosen as a flight mode in the way that 'P mode' (Position) and 'Sport mode' on the Mavic Pro.

I've been flying it for a good time 'till now. Just never saw it do this before. Maybe it's because I never flew it at night haha.
2018-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gr4v1ty Posted at 2018-7-26 06:26
I've been flying it for a good time 'till now. Just never saw it do this before. Maybe it's because I never flew it at night haha.

It’s nothing to do with latest FW, most reports on 0.400 have been positive. I think your right lighting can be a problem with sensors.
2018-7-26
Use props
Fingers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with all the above.  Drifting in Atti mode, especially in poor light, is noting to be worried about.  In fact I'm a bit jealous, I would love to get my MP into Atti mode for a bit of practice.  I even tried wrapping its arse in tin foil, but the blooming thing still gets a gps signal!!!!   Good luck with the Mavics guys.
2018-7-26
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Iceland

Good to know for the next time! Thanks for all your input guys!
2018-7-26
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't be concerned about drifting in atti mode. Remember the aircraft propellers are moving an awful lot of air around which can cause it to move. The basic sensors as detailed by Aardvark are trying to deal with this too.
2018-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules