Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Up, Up, and gone forever!
1703 26 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJINDY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17487 ft
United States

I am considered a newbie in the drone world. After a couple years of convincing my wife that it was a smart idea for me to buy a drone I finally got my Spark. I had my spark for about 4 days. My experience hasn't been the greatest. First, my remote had an issue with my camera click wheel and had to send in the remote. Which left me to controlling the Spark with my phone. I was flying it around my back yard to my neighbors which is maybe .75 acre away. I had made a couple test runs with no issues. Then I selected RTH and that is where my dreams of having a drone died. The GPS stopped working on the device and within a couple seconds went in ATTI mode. The wind took the device and now I am without my Spark.

My frustration is that I felt that this was out of my control. I did what I was supposed to and now I have nothing. I am disappointed and bummed out. I have a case open and I hope that DJI will help me out. I was supposed to take this on a trip in a week and was looking forward to finally getting the shots that I have wanted to for the last couple of years.

I will say that the moments that I did have flying the drone were fantastic. DJI does make nice products and I understand that there can be techinical glitches. Hoping for the best. Cross your fingers for me!

2018-7-25
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

I will say, I was able to shoot a quick video for our community website. Take a look. It's very short. www.charleylakepreserve.com
2018-7-25
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

have you tried the find my drone function? was it marked, or registered?
2018-7-25
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

I have registered it with DJI however he not had a chance to mark it or register with the FAA. I was ready planning to register the evening before loosing it. I tried using the Find my drone function however since it lost connection the last spot it shows in my flight log is where I initiated the RTH command.
2018-7-25
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft

Fortunately DJI has been considering a lot of these issues replaceable under warranty.

For some detail on what went wrong from your flight, you should upload your flight record to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link here.

Some Sparks are very susceptible to dropping into ATTI when other DJI products wouldn't. For this fact alone RTH is something I don't trust with Spark and would only use as a last case scenario to bring back it to safety. Also, if it went into ATTI, Find My Drone wouldn't be that useful due to dropping GPS.
2018-7-25
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

InTheReeds Posted at 2018-7-25 20:31
Fortunately DJI has been considering a lot of these issues replaceable under warranty.

For some detail on what went wrong from your flight, you should upload your flight record to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link here.

That would be good news if they consider this replaceable under warranty. I have attached the flight log. However, I have looked in the direction of where it is tracking to. Still no luck

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/B7X4805Q7IRU7PQHSFE8/
2018-7-25
Use props
js349
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3671 ft
United States

If you get it back or another one and you're in the US, insure it with State Farm under a personal property insurance policy. It's $60 a year with no deductible. You have peace of mind if something happens to it that the warranty won't cover. I have a Phantom and a Spark insured with them. Good luck!
2018-7-26
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Open a service request and attach the log (not the website) to it and see what they say.
It should have been GEOFenced to about 200ft distance and 100ft high.
But since GPS failed, DJI may consider replacing.

Good luck and don't give up!
It is awesome up there!

2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. Please provide you case number so that we can check the status on it. Thank you for your support.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

js349 Posted at 2018-7-26 04:06
If you get it back or another one and you're in the US, insure it with State Farm under a personal property insurance policy. It's $60 a year with no deductible. You have peace of mind if something happens to it that the warranty won't cover. I have a Phantom and a Spark insured with them. Good luck!

JS349, that is great information. I will make sure that I insure my next one. Thanks for that.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-26 04:44
Our apologies for the inconvenience. Please provide you case number so that we can check the status on it. Thank you for your support.

Hello. Thanks for reaching out. Here is my case number.

CAS-2055560-K1L1L2
2018-7-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

sorry to read that buddy
2018-7-26
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

jacksonnai Posted at 2018-7-26 06:28
sorry to read that buddy

Thank you. Hopefully something good can come out of this. I'll keep everyone posted.
2018-7-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

DJINDY Posted at 2018-7-26 06:31
Thank you. Hopefully something good can come out of this. I'll keep everyone posted.

yup good luck on your case
2018-7-26
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

DJINDY,

You have a good case for warranty replacement. We have seen similar cases before.

Your flight is uneventful until RTH at 7m 4s.
Spark adjusts its direction correctly and climbs to RTH altitude correctly.
At 7m 23s it starts flying back.

However, its flight path back is ellipsoidal – veers into southerly direction showing first signs of toilet bowl effect which is caused by mismatch between compass, accelerometer and GPS.
BTW – your GPS is fine. The problem is with directional mismatch between where Spark is physically pointing and where its compass is pointing. Commanded position differs from physical position which results in adjustments to flight direction. But adjustments are wrong and steer your Spark from its path.

5 seconds later (7m 28s) Spark realizes that its path is progressively crooked and will not lead to home point. It throws yaw error (misalignment between compass and Spark’s direction)  followed by other errors (compass and GPS). This shows Spark’s confusion and leads to ATTI so you can regain manual control. Again – GPS is functioning just fine. Compass/IMU is not.

Normally, in vast majority of cases like this, the problem is with IMU and compass calibration. However, I do not believe it is case here. Why? Because it would have manifested itself earlier. You flew in quite elaborate patterns which gave Spark plenty of opportunity to get confused earlier – it did not (outside of quick warnings but nothing serious).

We have seen multiple cases which are very similar to yours and which resulted in DJI warranty replacement. The tale tell sign is presence of elliptical flight path.

When you lost contact with your Spark it was auto landing with speed of 1.2 m/s and was being pushed by wind with speed 4m/s.
It would have been at 6m of altitude by the time it reached the house. If it did not crash into trees (I do not know how high there are) the good chances are that it crashed into the house (it was probably too low to clear it). See the picture below.

Good luck.

Mirek  

2018-7-26
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-26 07:31
DJINDY,

You have a good case for warranty replacement. We have seen similar cases before.

Wow, this is a good analysis, I hope he finds it in one of those areas.  I'd go looking for it
2018-7-26
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Sorry for your loss my friend.  I can just imagine how frustrating it is and how hard you had to negotiate with your wife to get one.  Hope you are able to find it.  
2018-7-26
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-26 07:31
DJINDY,

Mirek6,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my flight log and provide an explanation of what went wrong. I am still waiting to hear from DJI. I have searched through the woods and the yard of that home without success. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

DJINDY Posted at 2018-7-26 05:11
Hello. Thanks for reaching out. Here is my case number.

CAS-2055560-K1L1L2

Please let me know if you need anything else from me.
2018-7-26
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Djindy,

It is also possible that your drone overshoot the house and landed on the other side. I would search area in front of the house and, possibly beyond the road. It can't be far unless it landed on the road and was hit by a passing car.

In any case, I do trust that DJI will replace it.

Mirek
2018-7-26
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-7-26 10:26
Djindy,

It is also possible that your drone overshoot the house and landed on the other side. I would search area in front of the house and, possibly beyond the road. It can't be far unless it landed on the road and was hit by a passing car.

Hey Mirek6, I went again and searched all the areas that it could have landed. Now its up to the DJI gods
2018-7-26
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

Today, I went and looked again in all the possible area's. Hopefully I get an update from DJI sooner than later. My trip is quickly approaching that I wanted to take this on.
2018-7-27
Use props
graywoulf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91033 ft
United States

As far as State Farm Insurance goes, I called my local agent and talked to his secretary who was clueless about the personal property coverage concerning drones. I was supposed to get a call back from the agent. Never heard a thing from him. "Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is There"... Yeah, right.
2018-7-27
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

js349 Posted at 2018-7-26 04:06
If you get it back or another one and you're in the US, insure it with State Farm under a personal property insurance policy. It's $60 a year with no deductible. You have peace of mind if something happens to it that the warranty won't cover. I have a Phantom and a Spark insured with them. Good luck!

Unless you have a chinchy State Farm local agent who will only wrap the personal property rider with homeowner's insurance.
2018-7-27
Use props
dronto
lvl.4

Let’s hope that you can get a replacement soon.
2018-7-27
Use props
DJINDY
lvl.1
United States

Update: Looks like they are covering the Spark under warranty. Thank you everyone for your conversation in this thread. Now, let's hope I can get it ordered before my trip on Friday.
2018-7-30
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Ordering may not be the problem, me thinks.
Good luck

2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules