Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lens not connected (X5s)
4665 24 2018-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Davies
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15669462 ft
  • >>>

Mid shoot today we get this warning on our I2 - lens not connected.

We've not recently upgraded the firmware, it was working fine in the morning but in the afternoon we get the error.

We've tried everything mentioned in the forum - we've refreshed all firmware, we've cleaned all the contacts on the lens and camera and cleaned the contacts where the gimbal connects to the aircraft, we've tried five different lenses.

What else can we try? Any suggestions? We've got a shoot on Monday.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience and late response. Do you have another camera to test on and see if it will be the same? Can you also send a screenshot of the error and picture of how you assemble the drone?
2018-7-30
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Not good to hear you are having issues with your Inspire 2. In some similar cases I've heard people have solved this issue by connecting and disconnecting the X5S multiple times. Also resetting the camera settings could be an option to try. Frustrating when this happens before a shoot...
2018-7-30
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15669462 ft
  • >>>

I did everything, swapped cameras, refreshed firmware, everything. Sourced a new camera, tested our camera on another drone.
In the end I sourced part 23 (Gimbal Plate and cables) and this afternoon I installed it and it fixed the problem.
2018-7-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Chris Davies Posted at 2018-7-30 11:04
I did everything, swapped cameras, refreshed firmware, everything. Sourced a new camera, tested our camera on another drone.
In the end I sourced part 23 (Gimbal Plate and cables) and this afternoon I installed it and it fixed the problem.

Good thing it worked. Please let us know if you still need anything.
2018-8-1
Use props
djiuser_YJiSrNSzp2Lq
New

United States

Chris Davies Posted at 2018-7-30 11:04
I did everything, swapped cameras, refreshed firmware, everything. Sourced a new camera, tested our camera on another drone.

Can you post the info on where you got the parts and a parts list we have the same problem   kevin@tkdsllc.com
2019-11-4
Use props
djiuser_9gUG5mltW2yM
New
Norway

I've got the same with my Osmo Pro X5 today. Lens not connected. Having picture on screen, but no focus etc. works.
2020-3-28
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

What the heck is going on ? I barely touched my camera and drone for such a long time and the lens are not connecting with the X5S.
2021-2-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-6 10:42
What the heck is going on ? I barely touched my camera and drone for such a long time and the lens are not connecting with the X5S.

Please note that lens electronics aren't hardwired to camera body, nor the camera isn't hardwired to main processing unit of Cinecore module. There's several contacting points which may go wrong in time. Try to borrow another X5S camera to narrow the investigation. Check the state of lens contacts, dust of gimbal mount contacts, check the wiring between vibration cradle and Cinecore module. Replacing the whole vibration damper may be the solution as well.
2021-2-6
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-6 13:39
Please note that lens electronics aren't hardwired to camera body, nor the camera isn't hardwired to main processing unit of Cinecore module. There's several contacting points which may go wrong in time. Try to borrow another X5S camera to narrow the investigation. Check the state of lens contacts, dust of gimbal mount contacts, check the wiring between vibration cradle and Cinecore module. Replacing the whole vibration damper may be the solution as well.

Thank you for your reply !! Do you have an idea of what sizes and types of screwdrivers I need for the tear down? Thanks a lot mate!
2021-2-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-9 00:14
Thank you for your reply !! Do you have an idea of what sizes and types of screwdrivers I need for the tear down? Thanks a lot mate!

Well, make sure you're up the task since a certain level of DIY skills is required here. Anyway, various sizes of good quality metric hex and Torx drivers are required for teardown:

Metric hex: 2.5, 2.0, 1.5 mm
Torx: T6, T7, T8, T9

Mini nose pliers and tweezers are handy. These are available at any hobby store.

To confirm the security of gimbal/camera wiring you'll need to remove plastic covers on both sides of Cinecore module. Don't lose pairing button! Don't forget to take snapshots of every step, mark the position of antenna wiring (terminals are snap-on, pry the connector off using flat screwdriver as a lever). Start from vibration damper wiring connectors on top of gimbal holder and go further if necessary...

Good luck!
ssd interface cable.jpg
2021-2-9
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-9 13:47
Well, make sure you're up the task since a certain level of DIY skills is required here. Anyway, various sizes of good quality metric hex and Torx drivers are required for teardown:

Metric hex: 2.5, 2.0, 1.5 mm
[Image]

Thank you so much for your response. I do have loads of experience in tear downs. I made my very own custom iPhone from scratch so I believe that operation if you will, isn’t a biggie. Of course I will be careful with everything and I’ll have a video recording while I undo everything in case I stuck somewhere. I ordered part 23 and I am waiting for it, so I won’t be checking at this point connections but I will be replacing the entire part. Based on your experience, how complex would you grade that operation from a scale of 0/10? Do you have a video handy that shows all the necessary steps ? Or things that I should be careful about ?

I truly appreciate your time !
2021-2-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-9 22:12
Thank you so much for your response. I do have loads of experience in tear downs. I made my very own custom iPhone from scratch so I believe that operation if you will, isn’t a biggie. Of course I will be careful with everything and I’ll have a video recording while I undo everything in case I stuck somewhere. I ordered part 23 and I am waiting for it, so I won’t be checking at this point connections but I will be replacing the entire part. Based on your experience, how complex would you grade that operation from a scale of 0/10? Do you have a video handy that shows all the necessary steps ? Or things that I should be careful about ?

I truly appreciate your time !

No teardown video, but perhaps I may be able to compile a sequence of images for you. I would grade the task level at 8-9 for a first-timers, with a word "carefully" on the beginning of every disassembly stage.  With vibration damper replacement the most cumbersome part is to guide all cables thru corresponding cavities and tunnels. You have two types of connectors to deal with inside main controller shell, that is common JST and some rather exotic snap-on flat and tiny ones, which may be secured with a dab of hot glue at sides. You must carefully (LOL) remove this glue and pry the connectors off. It's a watchmaker's job ... I will try to refresh my memory and pull out some pics for you tomorrow.
BTW, have you been able to eliminate the camera fault as a possibility?
2021-2-10
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-10 02:10
No teardown video, but perhaps I may be able to compile a sequence of images for you. I would grade the task level at 8-9 for a first-timers, with a word "carefully" on the beginning of every disassembly stage.  With vibration damper replacement the most cumbersome part is to guide all cables thru corresponding cavities and tunnels. You have two types of connectors to deal with inside main controller shell, that is common JST and some rather exotic snap-on flat and tiny ones, which may be secured with a dab of hot glue at sides. You must carefully (LOL) remove this glue and pry the connectors off. It's a watchmaker's job ... I will try to refresh my memory and pull out some pics for you tomorrow.
BTW, have you been able to eliminate the camera fault as a possibility?

First and foremost let me THANK YOU for your willingness and kindness to help me out with this. Unfortunately I do not have the money to buy a new one or to borrow from someone else so I think this would be my best bet. Correct me if I’m wrong. I know it’s extremely complicated and right now I’m shaking with the idea of having to go through this whole thing by myself. I’m really stressed out. The thing is that I tried to reset the camera settings several times and I was able to hear few of those times the aperture ring to make those usual sounds ( close and open ) mostly I found the camera controlling the lens while I was switching from photo to video. In the photography mode I am able to see a constant 1.7 in the aperture and as soon as I try to change it via the wheel, it goes N/A. When I switch to video it goes to N/A without having a certain number. It’s very weird and complicated. What I am suspecting is that since I went through few flights, the drone within its pelican case
2021-2-10
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-10 02:48
First and foremost let me THANK YOU for your willingness and kindness to help me out with this. Unfortunately I do not have the money to buy a new one or to borrow from someone else so I think this would be my best bet. Correct me if I’m wrong. I know it’s extremely complicated and right now I’m shaking with the idea of having to go through this whole thing by myself. I’m really stressed out. The thing is that I tried to reset the camera settings several times and I was able to hear few of those times the aperture ring to make those usual sounds ( close and open ) mostly I found the camera controlling the lens while I was switching from photo to video. In the photography mode I am able to see a constant 1.7 in the aperture and as soon as I try to change it via the wheel, it goes N/A. When I switch to video it goes to N/A without having a certain number. It’s very weird and complicated. What I am suspecting is that since I went through few flights, the drone within its pelican case

(Continue) most likely moved or had an impact straight in the vibration/gimbal area, and probably that hit or disconnected a cable or left a clear cut that I can’t see. I don’t know. I wanna cry cuz I’m extremely stressed to go through this from the other hand I can’t afford sending it to DJI, is out of warranty and I feel they will charge a fortune to fix it. I am capable of doing repairs so I will just trust my self I guess. I was thinking of buying an electric screwdriver to go through that it’s called wowstick, I think it will help me in terms of preventing a potential damage of a screw head. What do you think ?
2021-2-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-10 02:52
(Continue) most likely moved or had an impact straight in the vibration/gimbal area, and probably that hit or disconnected a cable or left a clear cut that I can’t see. I don’t know. I wanna cry cuz I’m extremely stressed to go through this from the other hand I can’t afford sending it to DJI, is out of warranty and I feel they will charge a fortune to fix it. I am capable of doing repairs so I will just trust my self I guess. I was thinking of buying an electric screwdriver to go through that it’s called wowstick, I think it will help me in terms of preventing a potential damage of a screw head. What do you think ?

No reason to be stressed out, it's actually very educational and even entertaining to strip her . Unfortunately you don't know what is the culprit. It can be the lens, the camera, the wiring, the video processing module etc. So, the plan is to eliminate wiring problem first.

No, electric screwdriver is a big NO. Nothing is better than the feel of a snug fit, good quality screwdriver. Screws are tiny, some Blue Loctite-ed, requiring finger tight grip only.

screwdr.jpg
2021-2-10
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-10 14:07
No reason to be stressed out, it's actually very educational and even entertaining to strip her . Unfortunately you don't know what is the culprit. It can be the lens, the camera, the wiring, the video processing module etc. So, the plan is to eliminate wiring problem first.

No, electric screwdriver is a big NO. Nothing is better than the feel of a snug fit, good quality screwdriver. Screws are tiny, some Blue Loctite-ed, requiring finger tight grip only.[Image]

Good thing I didn’t buy one then haha...
By the way I just looked at the suitcase and I can clearly see an outline of the protection cup that holds the gimbal connector. So I’m assuming that this is what caused the issue but let me know what do you think.
I can try to find on Amazon an X5S and buy it and then return it and all that but I don’t know how practical that would be and what’s their return policy requirements as the camera would come from a third party seller. It’s so complicated I don’t know I’m very confused right now. I spent hours and hours on figuring out what it could be but I can’t put my mind in ease. In the meantime I’ll attach right here a photo to show you that outline in the suitcase from the vibration/gimbal protector cap.
9E99A8B9-8566-4C9A-B269-418139E3F8ED.jpeg
2021-2-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-10 14:12
Good thing I didn’t buy one then haha...
By the way I just looked at the suitcase and I can clearly see an outline of the protection cup that holds the gimbal connector. So I’m assuming that this is what caused the issue but let me know what do you think.
I can try to find on Amazon an X5S and buy it and then return it and all that but I don’t know how practical that would be and what’s their return policy requirements as the camera would come from a third party seller. It’s so complicated I don’t know I’m very confused right now. I spent hours and hours on figuring out what it could be but I can’t put my mind in ease. In the meantime I’ll attach right here a photo to show you that outline in the suitcase from the vibration/gimbal protector cap.

That imprint is not conclusive. BTW, did you try different lens?
2021-2-10
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-10 14:26
That imprint is not conclusive. BTW, did you try different lens?

Thank you once again for your comment! I tried the lens from the X5S, into a cinema camera that I have with an MFT mount. The lens appears to be responsive I have control of the aperture and autofocus. So the lens is good !! Now I get feedback from the camera as well like I mentioned every time I connect it. It calibrates, it works it’s solid. But the lens is what the inspire 2 doesn’t recognize. Which in my critical thinking could be a cause or from the vibration damper or the actual X5S. the lens like I mentioned it appears to be good!
2021-2-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-10 15:54
Thank you once again for your comment! I tried the lens from the X5S, into a cinema camera that I have with an MFT mount. The lens appears to be responsive I have control of the aperture and autofocus. So the lens is good !! Now I get feedback from the camera as well like I mentioned every time I connect it. It calibrates, it works it’s solid. But the lens is what the inspire 2 doesn’t recognize. Which in my critical thinking could be a cause or from the vibration damper or the actual X5S. the lens like I mentioned it appears to be good!

Removing the nose shell is a no brainer. This is what you'll see afterwards ...
LH side_02.jpg
LH side connectors.jpg
antenna wiring_RH shell.jpg
pairing button.jpg
right side connectors.jpg
left_SD card_side_01.jpg
2021-2-10
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-10 23:18
Removing the nose shell is a no brainer. This is what you'll see afterwards ...[Image]

I can’t thank you enough ! I really can’t! Your willingness and kindness is above my expectations. I wish I could do something in return for your precious time and good will! Thank you so much for taking apart your drone for me. It truly means the world to me!

I saw the photos. I won’t lie to you it looks scary and tricky. I am afraid I didn’t get what I need to remove in order to replace the unit that most likely has the problem. When you say don’t touch you mean do not disconnect? Correct me if I’m wrong. And when you say check you mean make sure everything is snap?
2021-2-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-10 23:26
I can’t thank you enough ! I really can’t! Your willingness and kindness is above my expectations. I wish I could do something in return for your precious time and good will! Thank you so much for taking apart your drone for me. It truly means the world to me!

I saw the photos. I won’t lie to you it looks scary and tricky. I am afraid I didn’t get what I need to remove in order to replace the unit that most likely has the problem. When you say don’t touch you mean do not disconnect? Correct me if I’m wrong. And when you say check you mean make sure everything is snap?

OK, I'm willing to help, but you must stop this "thank you, thank you" thing ... And no, I didn't strip my baby for you, I did this some time ago solving SSD card mystery. Yes, don't touch means do not disconnect, check means make sure it is firmly connected. Finally, yes, this is a piece of sophisticated technology indeed. Rushing or brute force will not do any good ...
2021-2-11
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-11 00:02
OK, I'm willing to help, but you must stop this "thank you, thank you" thing ... And no, I didn't strip my baby for you, I did this some time ago solving SSD card mystery. Yes, don't touch means do not disconnect, check means make sure it is firmly connected. Finally, yes, this is a piece of sophisticated technology indeed. Rushing or brute force will not do any good ...

I appreciate it anyway... or course I thank you so much! I acknowledge your help and I know that you don’t have to help me but you still do and I appreciate it!
Aghhh I don’t know shall I buy the X5S from Amazon then return it just to check if it’s the camera ? What would you suggest ? The part 23 it’s on its way anyway now..
2021-2-11
Use props
panagiotis_apos
lvl.1

Canada

I just don’t know from where to start and where to go to do the replacement.
2021-2-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

panagiotis_apos Posted at 2-11 01:25
I just don’t know from where to start and where to go to do the replacement.

Hmm ... I'm afraid that this task may be really too difficult for you. No matter how elaborate guidance I will provide you with, it's still like open heart surgery directed via video conference ...

Here's my offer: send the drone to me and I will evaluate/fix it for free. Edmonton AB, you pay shipment both ways (only the drone in a case) ...
2021-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules