Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Polet999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 352359 ft
  • >>>
United States

User manual of P4P on the page 59 described "Stop the Motors" Method 2
When aircraft has landing, push & hold the left stick down. The motors will stop after 3 sec.
Did somebody have a problem during the flight "Push & hold the left stick down" that motor shut down?

IMG_3759er.jpg
2018-7-26
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

I have never had the guts to try it.  Why...did you?   Sounds like a good way to splatter your drone.

2018-7-26
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>

I think that after you do that then you have a problem.
Who with common sense would push stick down and hold it for a 3 sec just to check out if it works?
Alternatively you can push the left stick down to a inner corner and push RTH simultaneously. This is for an extreme emergency only as you will destroy your AC that way.
I remember one or two cases on this forum where they did that just for a test and then they can managed to restart the motors and save the AC. But that was predesigned in advance.
This works well when the AC is on the ground and should be working up in the air too. But I can hardly imagine the situation at which I will be forced to do that.      
2018-7-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Left stick full down will not stop the motors when in flight and descending, it will stop the motors three seconds after the aircraft has stopped descending. In other words it must be stationary before left stick full down stops motors.

As you are probably aware there is another command to shut motors down in flight, which I believe can also be disabled now in DJI Go 4.
2018-7-26
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>

I think that you want to know if somebody had the situation when he/she must stop the motors.
2018-7-26
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

As I recall the default in Go 4 to stop motors in flight is to fully push the left stick down and to the right while simultaneously holding the RTH button on the remote.  I have disabled that in my Go 4 app settings, though.
2018-7-26
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Try it out. Just make sure you are high enough. 200m recommended.
Watch this after 1:10 minutes:

2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I believe stopping the motors and restarting them is posible mid flight but you need to be at a sufficient altitude that you can restart the motors in time before the drone smashes into the ground.
Im not sure how the drone would react in this situation as it would most likely be tumbling down to earth and may behave erratically after motor restart.
Ive not seen or heard of anyone try this but in theory the logic is sound.

I dont think the op's question is about doing it on purpose tho.
Holding left stick only down during flight will give a controlled decent only once the drone has stopped its decent and remains stationary for 3 seconds will the motors shut down.
2018-7-26
Use props
Polet999
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-7-26 09:12
I have never had the guts to try it.  Why...did you?   Sounds like a good way to splatter your drone.

I brought it up for discussion on the forum because DJI’s user manual (p.59) only described that push left steak down to stop the motor when drone landed or as an emergency situation but any way on the ground, however not specified to the users how dangerous do this during the flight.
Why it’s important? DJI cutoff your ability to use all range of joystick movement during the flight, without any scare to move to the ‘shutoff motors zone”.
It will be great if DJI in the next software update leave only CSC (combination Stick Command) to stop motors.
2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Polet999 Posted at 2018-7-26 12:51
I brought it up for discussion on the forum because DJI’s user manual (p.59) only described that push left steak down to stop the motor when drone landed or as an emergency situation but any way on the ground, however not specified to the users how dangerous do this during the flight.
Why it’s important? DJI cutoff your ability to use all range of joystick movement during the flight, without any scare to move to the ‘shutoff motors zone”.
It will be great if DJI in the next software update leave only CSC (combination Stick Command) to stop motors.

Holding left stick down during flight will NOT stop the motors.
The motors will only stop once the drone has landed
2018-7-26
Use props
Polet999
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

andy10 Posted at 2018-7-26 09:29
I think that after you do that then you have a problem.
Who with common sense would push stick down and hold it for a 3 sec just to check out if it works?
Alternatively you can push the left stick down to a inner corner and push RTH simultaneously. This is for an extreme emergency only as you will destroy your AC that way.

Per my conversation with DJI’s technician he assured me that I can move left stick in all range down without any problem during the flight.
That is why I asking if somebody I reality did this maneuver?
2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

We all do it on every flight when descending
2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Have you tried dji flight sim? Its very basic but the sim drone will react in the exact same manner as the real one without the fear of breaking something.
2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

The only possible way barring a malfunction or flat battery for the motors to stop mid flight is by performing a csc function. This should never be performed mid flight unless in an emergency situation.
Holding the left stick only down during flight will not stop the motors.
2018-7-26
Use props
Polet999
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-7-26 12:59
Holding left stick down during flight will NOT stop the motors.
The motors will only stop once the drone has landed

I destroyed my P3P to use left joystick all range of movement during the flight, that why I am so carefully with  P4P. When DJI announce model P4P in NY in 2017, I spoke with DJI rep. & he introduced  CSC command. It’s great, but why DJI leave also left stick stop motors? Even in emergency situation I’ll able use CSC.
As you can see everybody who responding to my question afraid or very inconvenience to use full range of left stick during the flight.

2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Polet999 Posted at 2018-7-26 13:24
I destroyed my P3P to use left joystick all range of movement during the flight, that why I am so carefully with  P4P. When DJI announce model P4P in NY in 2017, I spoke with DJI rep. & he introduced  CSC command. It’s great, but why DJI leave also left stick stop motors? Even in emergency situation I’ll able use CSC.
As you can see everybody who responding to my question afraid or very inconvenience to use full range of left stick during the flight.

I and many others always use full range of left stick during flight there is nothing that can happen to the p4p by using the full range of the left stick.
2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Using full range of left stick on the p4p will not shut down the motors during flight
2018-7-26
Use props
Polet999
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

andy10 Posted at 2018-7-26 09:35
I think that you want to know if somebody had the situation when he/she must stop the motors.

No.  I don’t want play game to stop motors during the flight.
DJI states that use full range of left stick movement in flight it's safely.
My Q if somebody did this?
2018-7-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

I suggest you read the manual thoroughly then once you finish read it again.
2018-7-26
Use props
Polet999
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-26 09:29
Left stick full down will not stop the motors when in flight and descending, it will stop the motors three seconds after the aircraft has stopped descending. In other words it must be stationary before left stick full down stops motors.

As you are probably aware there is another command to shut motors down in flight, which I believe can also be disabled now in DJI Go 4.

As you can see everybody who responding to my question afraid or very inconvenience to use full range of left stick during the flight
2018-7-26
Use props
Polet999
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-7-26 13:31
I and many others always use full range of left stick during flight there is nothing that can happen to the p4p by using the full range of the left stick.

Again, thank you so much for your response. I'll try.
2018-7-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Polet999 Posted at 2018-7-26 13:37
As you can see everybody who responding to my question afraid or very inconvenience to use full range of left stick during the flight

I use left stick full down on my P4 & Mavic Pro without issue. On the P3 the 'CSC' (Combined Stick Command) was both sticks down and in to centre, or outwards. This was changed on the P4 to left stick down and centre + RTH button, because too many people were causing accidental shut downs.

Page 60 in the P4P Manual tells you that the P4P process for stopping motors in flight is same as P4, left stick down and centre AND push RTH button at same time. As I said even this can be disabled in DJI Go 4.

2018-7-26
Use props
Polet999
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Polet999 Posted at 2018-7-26 13:52
Again, thank you so much for your response. I'll try.

I tested drone on simulator, then move Up & down by one hand & simultaneously push  left bottom.
Motors only stop when drone came to stationary position.
Then I tested outside, left stick working as described in manual.
I mislead myself after lost my P3P, & thought that cause of pushing Left stick full down.
Now I understood that happens  of malfunction  drone, not of my steering.
Many thanks to all who responded to my question
2018-7-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Polet999 Posted at 2018-7-27 15:02
I tested drone on simulator, then move Up & down by one hand & simultaneously push  left bottom.
Motors only stop when drone came to stationary position.
Then I tested outside, left stick working as described in manual.

Left stick down is the normal method of descending.
You can safely hold the left stick full down in flight and the motors won't stop until after the Phantom has landed and can't descend any further.

2018-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules