Is it safe to fly with the new firmware? Anybody flying?
1781 29 2015-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
astoriablvd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I read so many reports of battery going dead and fly away with the new firmware.  I haven't flew my Inspire 1 because of those reports.  Anybody actually flying Inspire 1 without any problem since the new firmware update?
2015-5-23
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have countless flights on the new firmware.  I always recommend calibrating your IMU, compass, and TX.  You should then calibrate your gimbal.  Don't cycle your battery below 5% especially when you can't charge it right away.  I am not sure which version you are on, but yes - I would update it.
2015-5-23
Use props
stephenbrink62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380522 ft
South Africa

Iv'e afew flights with all my batteries and no problems at all.......make sure your inspire was updated properly including batteries...check imu before flying...and you should have no issues...
2015-5-23
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

I fly with a big risk. i have one dead battery so far and i was lucky i didnt have an accident.
2015-5-23
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I already lost an inspire in the middle of the, i got the new replacement a month ago, but im scare as hell to fly it again, will try it this afternoon!
2015-5-23
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have very little confidence at the moment with the current firmware. Seems to me the last firmware created more issues than it fixed and the RTH and Batt issues just compound the likely hood of a costly accident. Anyone reliably using or have the need for the live view or editor?
2015-5-23
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

I have had multiple flights without issues, but have the same concerns as everyone else.  Sure wish we had some solid information from DJI to go on....
2015-5-23
Use props
miragecy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690197 ft
Cyprus

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-23 22:01
I have had multiple flights without issues, but have the same concerns as everyone else.  Sure wish  ...

I'm in the same situation and concerns

Andy
2015-5-23
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I have three batteries and after the FW update I cycled the TB47 down to 3% and charged it back up as recommended by the new FW without any problems...In all I have used the batteries about 20 times without any issues at all...It is in the back of my mind though  and I fly very conservatively ....
2015-5-23
Use props
Zeebadoo
lvl.2

United States

I have over 12 hours of flight time on my Inspire it's always done exactly what it's supposed to with only one exception. I did have an issue where the battery dropped very quickly from 40% to 7%. It was the only time that I've gone for a flight with a partial charge on the battery. I always fly with a full charge and I've never had a problem except for the one occasion when I started with a partial charge. ALWAYS, ALWAYS start with a full charge.
2015-5-23
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Zeebadoo Posted at 2015-5-23 23:01
I have over 12 hours of flight time on my Inspire it's always done exactly what it's supposed to wit ...

This seems to be the trigger for the sudden loss of power during flight ... (as this happened to me on 1 battery I tried to find as much info as possible about it)
Make sure your battery is "recently" fully charged before using them and you should be fine.

If a battery wont charge after you use it ... well ... at least that does not cause a CRASH and there are way to fix this as it seams ... (charge it for more then 10 min and it might "wake up" / put it inside the bird and push the button and it might "wake up" / take it apart and disconnect some wire, as seen on you tube, and it will work again)

I shouldn´t worry about calibrating IMU and compass to often ... Do it as it is stated in the manual and you should be fine.
2015-5-23
Use props
aknauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

All with Android devices:

Updated to latest Firmware: all went well.
Test flights with all batteries without incidents.
Android devices don't seem to have the Youtube streaming - at least haven't found it.
RTH tested without issues - no reset of altitude to 0 noticed.
Inspire position on Radar seems offset by ~180°.
Camera settings seem to have changed again. Sharpness negative range appears to be softer over all with smaller increments between steps. Sharpness -1 now similar to -3 on previous Firmware.
AEB bug not bracketing when triggered from controller still not fixed.
Voice announcements have gone (good or bad???)
However, the uncertainty remains!!! What if this bird suddenly goes bad? What if I have a service situation???
These are the questions that make me feel very uneasy about this product, respectively DJI.
I will never buy another product off them, unless there was a dramatic improvement of the customers service.

Since it is certain that DJI is aware of the very negative reputation they are building, the total lack of improvement indicates that they simply don't care. As long as the money is flowing in, it's all good Feng Shui!
2015-5-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

No problems whatsoever after new firmware and testing it all and after several flights ...no battery problems loosing power or sudden drops etc, manual take off and auto take off and land with intuitive gear works fine , RTH  works great, resetting home point to RC and Rth works fine , All presets including RTH altitude setting do Hold when powered down and re powered bird ,RC and iPad pilot app , GPS lock is faster with little or no losses , the gimbal and camera both working great no problems .
2015-5-24
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

No Problems here flying every day ...very stable Da Best!!
2015-5-24
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

All good here, still waiting for ground station to be added though. And we will be golden!
I know, don't hold my breath, it'll never happen. Well it just might happen, it would likely be cheaper than the alternative? If you get what I'm saying.
2015-5-24
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to be the  luckiest guy when it comes to the inspire one. I've had no issues with the bird whatsoever the software updates have been flawless and a battery updates have been flawless. Just came from flying the bird and hit 68 miles per hour of course going with the wind. The Bird performed like a thoroughbred. the bird has been with me approximately 7 months with no issues at all. Not even GPS issues.
2015-5-24
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

Two flights yesterday, so far all is normal.  Still too early to be confident...
2015-5-24
Use props
newdiamonds
lvl.1

United States

I flew 4 times yesterday. It all worked flawlessly the 3 first times. Yet on my 4th take off, when I was about 4 feet from the ground just taking off the inspire started going crazy. GPS signal was fine and I had no warnings on my sreen. Wind was at the most 2mph. I could barely control the craft as it was drifting sideways uncontrollably, what I did to avoid hitting a nearby building and trees was to raise up high  until I regained  control  about 30 seconds  later.  It was a pretty  scary  experience.  I'm a bit scared  to fly  now.
2015-5-24
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

I too have flown a number of times and haven't had any issues. i fly with caution but I don't let the fear control my flying. There's really no  way too know if we're going to have an incident.

Again. That's just my two cents.
2015-5-24
Use props
astoriablvd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-5-25 05:18
I too have flown a number of times and haven't had any issues. i fly with caution but I don't let th ...

Are you flying on GPS mode?
2015-5-24
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

astoriablvd Posted at 2015-5-25 05:20
Are you flying on GPS mode?

GPS as well as ATTI mode.
2015-5-24
Use props
Airosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

I had a bad experience with a battery draining too quickly during flight but I was flying at close range, so brought it back on time.
Seems to be this one battery that has issues. Overheating and all. That's one to keep my eye open.

Besides that, so far so good.
But it makes my nerves go mad everytime I fly.

Now...even the Voyager 3 has Ground Control and Autonomous flight.... what the heck DJI?
2015-5-24
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

A lot of people are experiencing flyaways since the last firmware update, but almost none of them say they tried switching to ATTI to recover from crazy behavior. Doing so would seem to indicate that there are GPS issues (again). Has anyone done this with either success or failure?
2015-5-25
Use props
archer02
lvl.2

United States

After the new update I have several flights. I now have video loss and the range is now half what it was before update. We now only have 8 channels to use and when I check all are very week with no real strong signal so I just stay on auto select to hope for the best. Can't figure it out when my signal availability is so low with no cell towers or other things to block it. I get out maybe half mile and bam it either stops or signal loss and RTH starts to engage but switch out of GPS and bring it closer to home to regain control. I also have one battery that when landing will not lower the gear so hand grab to play with it. No point in calling for help with then sit on the phone for an hour in their your number ?? and wait for who knows how long.
2015-5-25
Use props
nilsblix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I fly every day - some days even twice - I have the new FW installed with no problems.
Did calibrate IMU and compass after FW update but only checking the values before flights - never calibrates if not asked to by the app.
So fare no problems - but of course sending this advanced thing up in the air is always a risk - so you never know I might be the next.I am not scared when flying my Inspire ( until now 140 flights - rock solid ) - but I am careful trying not to fly over people. I am prepeard to loose my Inspire (it can be replaced) but the nightmare is to hurt someone.
2015-5-25
Use props
phdraw
lvl.1

United States

Zeebadoo Posted at 2015-5-23 23:01
I have over 12 hours of flight time on my Inspire it's always done exactly what it's supposed to wit ...

I too have experienced quick drops in battery reserves. I set the critical warning to 10% and at 16% it went into RTH mode and at about 70 feet from where the home point was recorded.
2015-5-25
Use props
linfisher
New

United States

I didn't have a battery issue, but I did have a serious flight issue that caused the bird to circle and not hover. It actually started out in small circles and then grew larger and larger until it wasn't controllable. No where in the Firmware Instructions Guide does it say to update the IMU. However, after my bird smashed into a palm tree with a 5 to 6 week turnaround on repairs, I was told this was something I should have done.

If this is the case, then why the hell wasn't it in the guide? Why wasn't an emergency email sent to the owners to make sure this was added to the preflight / update check list?  I can see there are several / many people who have issues with the firmware update.

I am waiting to hear back from the repair team to see what their conclusion is once they take a look at the flight records. I will repost once they tell me what they find.
2015-5-25
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

linfisher Posted at 2015-5-26 14:34
I didn't have a battery issue, but I did have a serious flight issue that caused the bird to circle  ...

I had almost the exact same issue happen to me twice after close to 200 flights.  Both times it happened to me it was my 5th and 3rd battery of flying in the same location.  Both times the battery was at 98 & 100%.  Second time ended in a hard crash after hitting a pine tree.  I sent mine back 8 days ago, purchased another while expecting a 7-8 week turn around. UGH
2015-5-26
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not successfully loaded the firmware yet even though I've tried 4 times with different micro cards and batteries.
2015-5-26
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

all good here, updated and been flying multiple times, no problems to report
2015-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules