Ronin-S Tilt Drift Issue
30622 34 2018-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jwende
lvl.1
Canada

I'm experiencing a mildly concerning issue where my Ronin-S (properly balanced with an a7iii+ 50mm sony apsc lens) drifts down on the tilt axes. I've run all the auto, balance,  and calibration tests and nothing seems to help. Has anyone experienced this or know of a fix?

Thanks,

Jordan
2018-7-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Jordan, sorry to read on the drift issue with Ronin-S, may I know if you are running the latest firmware? What calibration have you tried? Did you try system calibration and the joystick calibration both?
2018-7-27
Use props
jwende
lvl.1
Canada

Hi Mindy, i have not yet updated to the latest firmware as the release notes dont seem to imply any stability updates, but i will try that. I have tried both calibration tests youbhave mentioned. In the motor parameters the tilt power seems to hover around 1-4 which makes me believe it might be a setting or software issue, and not a motor problem. Not sure if that helps at all.
2018-7-27
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

jwende Posted at 2018-7-27 09:11
Hi Mindy, i have not yet updated to the latest firmware as the release notes dont seem to imply any stability updates, but i will try that. I have tried both calibration tests youbhave mentioned. In the motor parameters the tilt power seems to hover around 1-4 which makes me believe it might be a setting or software issue, and not a motor problem. Not sure if that helps at all.

Have you done a joystick calibration?
Tap the trigger 4 times, and hold on the 4th tap. All 3 mode lights should blink, then move the joystick multiple times all over the place.
Tap 4 times and hold on the 4th tap to finish calibration.
2018-7-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jwende Posted at 2018-7-27 09:11

Thanks for more details, please update the firmware to the latest version to see if the issue persists, thank you.
2018-7-28
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

If you have auto-tuned, the motors should be able to support that lens with no problems unless you have it slightly off balance. Also if you have push on the tilt axis turned on and your out of balance, the gimbal will also look like it's drifting.
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi Jordan, the post in 6# is from our engineers, please refer to his input and have a try. Thanks.
2018-8-1
Use props
ikostudio
lvl.1
Portugal

Hi there,

I still had this issue with the TILT drift. But he post number #4 of StianGel (recalibrating de Joystik) fix this problem.

2018-8-10
Use props
ikostudio
lvl.1
Portugal

StianGel Posted at 2018-7-27 11:09
Have you done a joystick calibration?
Tap the trigger 4 times, and hold on the 4th tap. All 3 mode lights should blink, then move the joystick multiple times all over the place.
Tap 4 times and hold on the 4th tap to finish calibration.

Thanks, this fix my problem
2018-8-10
Use props
jwende
lvl.1
Canada

Hi All, thanks for your support! Turns out the first Joystick Calibration I tried didn't work properly. After trying it again this has fixed my problem. Thanks so much!

Jordan
2018-8-10
Use props
fans2e123b03
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188166 ft
Canada

The Ronin is perfectly steady in all positions. The app says I have to re-calibrate it. I've tried multiple times, and even though it is physically calibrated, the app says otherwise. When I run the balance test it is supper jittery, and the centre position (recenter button) is tilted left.
I don't know what else to do.
2018-8-10
Use props
alainp007
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14298 ft
United States

Same here, I am about to upload a video of this problem myself. I've tried all of the suggestions above none of them work. The downward auto-tilt seems like a problem with the joystick. During the auto-tune, the tilt continues slowly going down during the tuning. You can double tap to reset, but it continues to tilt straight down. when I power off, it goes back to the normal balance setting that it was balanced facing forward. I've updated the firmware, tried the 4 press and hold. It seems to stop where it is when it resets, but once it's finished, rebooting in continues to tilt downward. Please help this is very frustrating
2018-8-19
Use props
djiuser_A0d3YyDONPix
lvl.1

United States

I’m having the same issue out of the box. Balanced, auto tuned and balance tested = excellent. The joint angle bandaid works but if you turn off the ronin s you have to go thru all the same process as above. Also, if you recenter the gimbal with a double tap after calibration it does it again. I own a osmo pro and never had an issue. You turn it on and start shooting. This is a hack fix and it’s not a solution to the problem. ☹️
2018-12-21
Use props
djiuser_A0d3YyDONPix
lvl.1

United States

I’m having the same issue out of the box. Balanced, auto tuned and balance tested = excellent. The joint angle bandaid works but if you turn off the ronin s you have to go thru all the same process as above. Also, if you recenter the gimbal with a double tap after calibration it does it again. I own a osmo pro and never had an issue. You turn it on and start shooting. This is a hack fix and it’s not a solution to the problem. ☹️
2018-12-21
Use props
DanRootPhoto
New
New Zealand

I am having the same issue. It worked fine for a few times, then started to tilt forward.
2019-1-7
Use props
DanRootPhoto
New
New Zealand

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-1 03:42
Hi Jordan, the post in 6# is from our engineers, please refer to his input and have a try. Thanks.

I am having all the same problems on this post. I did all the recommended fixes. Still nothing. The camera mounted to my Ronan-S still tilts forward when I tilt the gimbal forward. It was working for a few days, but now, no matter what I do, I can't fix this.
2019-1-8
Use props
TishDirector
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I'm having the same issues - to bypass this i ended up disabling the joystick up and down that controls the tilt up and down and it works... doesnt solve the problem but i can at least use it... I hope this helps someone!
2019-1-9
Use props
francofranco
New
Malta

BIG ISSUE OVER HERE. THE GIMBLE literally can't stop rotating anti clockwise. I have tried everything. It turns pretty fast
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_dEoFRckK2dtI
New
United States

Recently purchased the Ronin S.  As I am going through calibration, I noticed that the camera will nosedive when I lean it forward and will not respond after that I have to double tap the trigger to re-center it. I have installed the latest firmware. My calibration says all of my Axis are excellent. Can anyone help me with this
2019-2-9
Use props
Busa
New
Italy

Hi there, any new solution? same problem, tried everything you said, reset everything,  joistick calibration ecc.. problem occured after the latest firmware
2019-6-4
Use props
frrrantastico
lvl.1

Italy

Hi guys, it’s really frustrating but I have to report the same identical issue! I’ve updated firmware, performed any kind of balancing test (I got always 3 excellent marks),  restored gimbal set up, System calibration,  run auto tune in Motor Parameters section and, in the same section, I even tried  the “5 second holding Joint Angle” offset procedure.  Nothing worked! Please DJI come out with an official fixing! I’m a professional user and I really need to play with professional tools!!
2019-6-6
Use props
Hurricane01
New
Flight distance : 18635 ft

Hi i have some problem with tilt drift when i use Joy have you silver? I have try ti recalibrate Joy buy the problem not Is  resolved
2019-9-24
Use props
mutemadness
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108533 ft
Bulgaria

I had the same issue - already known as the "Ronin S - DRIFT ISSUE" - It's terrible when you pay the bill with camera work, and you pay for something that doesn't work after firmware update !!!
The gimbal was perfect before it was "updated" to V2.0.0.90 .
I already tried all the procedures one can find online about this DRIFT ISSUE - nothing helps.

DJI, please give me the magic touch to bring me back to filming.
Jordan
2019-10-17
Use props
mutemadness
lvl.1
Bulgaria

Today ... Still rolling by itself ... check this out -

Ronin S - auto rotation ****** - https://youtu.be/xsDs9phrQ90
Ronin S app - auto generating values on pan axis without touching the unit  ... https://youtu.be/NpIhtkJUkgI

It looks like the CH3 - controlling the pan axis from the joystick is generating random values all the time and this force the gimbal to rotate at all times.
I did a bunch of calibrations, balance tests, system calibrations, joystick calibrations, etc. ... everything that one can find online literally. Nothing helps, its still rollin ....

Hey guys I need this fixed. Please help, make a sound ...

Jordan
2019-10-18
Use props
mutemadness
lvl.1
Bulgaria

Update on my case - the local service guys shipped my Ronin-S to Germany for replacement of the Joystick. They told me it has malfunctioned for some reason, no idea why.

I hope it will get repaired fast soon.

Jordan
2019-11-3
Use props
Adrian.
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am experiencing a problem with my Ronin S. Bought it from HeliGuy the 1st week it was launched in the UK and loved it to bits. However, its now a pain because the tilt up motion just decides to tilt the camera up when it wants without any input from me.  Double tap the front trigger resets the gimbal, and then it creeps to point the camera up. I have updated the firmware to 2.0.2 and re-calibrated the gimbal joystick several times. However, it still continues to tilt upwards randomly.
Any advise appreciated.
Adrian.
2019-11-17
Use props
Rizikianos
lvl.2
Greece

The post #6 is missing.....
2020-2-16
Use props
Rizikianos
lvl.2
Greece

The post #6 is missing....
2020-2-16
Use props
Rizikianos
lvl.2
Greece

how can run Auto Tune for joystick?
2020-2-16
Use props
djiuser_mT7ZUcoQvDYa
New

Canada

mutemadness Posted at 2019-10-17 05:55
I had the same issue - already known as the "Ronin S - DRIFT ISSUE" - It's terrible when you pay the bill with camera work, and you pay for something that doesn't work after firmware update !!!
The gimbal was perfect before it was "updated" to V2.0.0.90 .
I already tried all the procedures one can find online about this DRIFT ISSUE - nothing helps.

I do a great deal of hyperlapse. I want the Ronin S to stay Pointer where I point it. If I’m walking across a bridge or down a street I do not want the Ronin panning off, but it does. I have worked with Ronin S engineers for months, apparently being advanced to the top engineers and of course have done all the system calibrations, joystick calibrations, etc. My Ronin can sit for hours and not drift at all, perfect balance but when walking forward to perform a hyperlapse it begins to slowly pan. I have tried attaching the GPS module and that hasn’t helped. I’ve posted videos, because they asked showing the issue. I’ve posted videos also where I walk for blocks holding an Inspire 2 and the gimbal does not pan. I see crane users do this perfectly, with motors locked or disabled. Anyway, have tried a multitude of user set-ups until I settled on a user pan and tilt with almost no input but I can correct with the joystick ever so slowly as it begins to drift but this is a poor workaround.
2020-2-17
Use props
juanpatinoaol.com
lvl.1
United States

Wait wait wait,
No further commentary since November?  Our Ronin-S is absolutely crippled by all the aforementioned symptoms.   I’m even suspecting that the drift issue has worsened since updating to the most recent firmware rev.  2.2.10.

Promise me one of you has since cracked the code?
Please reply here or write us directly via JuanPatinoPhoto@gmail.com
2020-5-16
Use props
afz
New

United States

I've had the same problem as others. The Ronin S was drifting everywhere.

I wanted to offer a possible solution to try for anyone that is stuck and frustrated like I was.

The joystick calibration was kind of unclear to me. It's just a bunch of blinking lights and is kind of outdated way of doing things, but makes sense after you've done it successfully. This function should be added to the app with visual instructions by DJI in the future. It should be dumbed down for people with little patience for this nonsense like me.

I had success with the joystick calibration by

1. Pressing the trigger four times and holding until...
2. The three lights start blinking. Now you know you're in joystick calibration mode.
3. Move the joystick around to the extremes. I did Up, down, left, right, and then in a circle, and the reverse in a circle, and then diagonal angles.
4. Return to center and take your hand off the joystick. (I think this is the reason for the drift after the first few attempts at joystick calibration. The Ronin didn't know where absolute center was because I didn't end the calibration in direct center with my thumb off of the joystick.)
5. Click the trigger four times and release.

Hopefully this works for some of you.
2020-6-29
Use props
fansd3d9c5b0
lvl.1
United States

Add me to the list...   intermittent or constant rotation, varies each time I restart. Joystick calibration helps maybe 1 in 10 times, and only for about a minute, if I'm lucky. Updated to latest firmware, restarted multiple times and auto-tuned.... nothing seems to work.

Tech support has said at this point I need to send it in for repair, which is awesome considering I have a job I need this for in 2 days. Now I get to pay almost a third the purchase price of the Ronin for a rental with next day shipping because mine is not reliable after using it only a handful of times.
2020-7-8
Use props
Zuber Khan
lvl.1

India

Hi,

I am facing the Tilt drift issue in my Ronin S tried everything Joystick calibration System Calibration but still I am facing the issue and also there is jitter in the footage can anyone please help me out for this??

Thanks in Advance
2020-8-4
Use props
djiuser_ZyTEBJsCBq94
New

Portugal

Hi,

Im concerned with my dji ronin s.
It is physically stable, when i press the power button it starts moving alone and when i press the trigger button it points down.
I ve tried to update the firmware and is not connecting to the app, the bluetoth doesnt find my device. I ve tried to do the stick calibration and it doesnt seem to make it different, as well as the motor auto tune. Actually, after this one, the ronin just starts to move fast to every direction...
Any suggestions?
2022-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules