1690 22 2018-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_vV0tB85opphs
New

What happened to me three days ago... :-(

- At first normal flight, good control.
- Flight time less than 5 minutes on full battery prior to incident
- Whilst initiating a descent, loss of communication was announced on the controlling iPad
- Immediately followed by Compass Error
- No more camera views on the iPad and continuous loss of com indication
- The drone was uncontrollable flying back and forth at extreme speeds
- Thereafter drone disappeared over the coastline and flew out over the sea
- No return home function, also when commanded by iPad controller
- After 30 minutes of waiting drone considered lost, most probably submerged in ocean beyond coastline.

- This resulted in the loss of the drone as well as a 128GB memory card with all of the holiday drone videos as well as other photos saved on that card

We are covered by the DJI insurance plan - this was a replacement drone from DJI. As this drone is lost, the damaged vehicle cannot be sent to you for inspection. Awaiting your kind response as on how to proceed further. The total loss of control of the vehicle with the subsequent loss of the drone without any „negative“ input of the drone pilot is disappointing and has seriously shattered our trust in the DJI product.
2018-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Spark. The best thing you need to do right now is to contact DJI Support for further assessment on what happened. I will post the DJI Online repair link ( www.dji.com/support ) for you to create a case for your DJI Sparl. Please sync the flight records as well using the DJI Go 4 application for further analysis.
2018-7-27
Use props
dronto
Second Officer

Very sorry to hear this. Hope it is sorted out soon
2018-7-27
Use props
fansb8f59e17
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96686 ft
Sweden

Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday evening.
After a software upgrade I was going to take pictures of the blood moon, but my Spark did exactly the same thing as yours.
It recorded a Homepoint, and when I was like 50 meters up it started to fly without control. It did not react to any inputs on my iPhone. So now it is lost in a forest nearby.
I have used the "Find my drone" function, but it is not there, but that is only the last known GPS point. So the drone could be anywhere, or?

I created a case at the support page, by there is no feature to upload the log files.
2018-7-28
Use props
Noble797
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42605 ft

Wow, I am so sorry. We’re you using any of the shooting modes when this happened or just normal fight?
2018-7-28
Use props
fansb8f59e17
lvl.1
Sweden

Just normal flight. Started, waited for GPS and then the Spark went crazy!

It is not in the last GPS location, as in the picture. Searched for couple of hours, but I guess that was the last recorded spot.
2018-7-28
Use props
djiuser_vV0tB85opphs
New

Greece

That’s the only picture I have left... doesn’t say much I presume.
I took a screenshot right after the disappearance of the drone - the FPV was just black.
2018-7-28
Use props
djiuser_vV0tB85opphs
New

And thanks for your kind replies!! Hope it works out well... what a feeling seeing the drone just flying away. It was controlled manually - no shooting mode.
I am trying to create a support case, but I am not exactly fluent in Chinese...
2018-7-28
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_vV0tB85opphs Posted at 2018-7-28 12:00
And thanks for your kind replies!! Hope it works out well... what a feeling seeing the drone just flying away. It was controlled manually - no shooting mode.
I am trying to create a support case, but I am not exactly fluent in Chinese...
[view_image]

Should not be in Chinese.
Language should be based on your location
https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-7-28
Use props
maddox
Captain

sorry to read that  
2018-7-29
Use props
genewSpark
lvl.2

United States

fansb8f59e17 Posted at 2018-7-28 01:48
Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday evening.
After a software upgrade I was going to take pictures of the blood moon, but my Spark did exactly the same thing as yours.
It recorded a Homepoint, and when I was like 50 meters up it started to fly without control. It did not react to any inputs on my iPhone. So now it is lost in a forest nearby.

My Spark Flew away after 11 seconds of flight in a completely unobstructed and remote place.  At 500 feet away the Drone dropped reception to the controller and just flew away at 35 MPH never to be seen again. It could have flew into a highway traffic, kids in a park, path of an airplane. DJI looked at the flight data and said because it was in ATTI mode it was totally my fault. I feel this is ridiculous. They refuse to answer these questions:
1) Even thought it was in ATTI why did it loose connection to my controller in a remote area with no RF interference or physical obstructions?
2) There are audible warnings about taking off, landing, low battery, etc. but if you are at such a risk of  losing your Drone when unknowing it is in ATTI mode, why is there not a similar warning?
3) The area I was at had STRONG GPS signal which I tested, why will they not answer my question why the failure of the GPS was not the true problem. Search the GPS issues with Spark and see how many have had iGPS issues!
4) When the Drone lost connectivity to the controller, why did it not stop and hover as they said it should have done? I could have retrieved it had this happened.

I believe DJI should replace my Drone for 3 reasons:
a) GPS failure
b) Drone did not stop and hover when losing connectivity (thus could result in very dangerous consequences). Two DJI agents said it should have stopped by design.
c)  Inadequate warnings when flying in a dangerous condition they call ATTI mode

I look forward to DJI answering these points
2018-8-1
Use props
fansb8f59e17
lvl.1

Any news for you guys in this matter?
2018-8-11
Use props
djiuser_vV0tB85opphs
New

Switzerland

Hi there,

After sending in my flight data and proof of purchase, etc. I got the good news that a new Spark was dispatched. The compass error triggered the replacement. Thank you DJI! Hopefully, the new compass system is more reliable...
2018-8-11
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

That must be a bad feeling when your drone takes off completely out of control. Not only are you worried about losing a valuable drone, but also the safety of the people it may encounter. Makes you realise that the restrictive drone rules have got some basis.
2018-8-11
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Great that you get a replacement Sparky!

Pro tip: Download the videos every evening when you fly on vacation...

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-8-12
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

So sorry about your cases mates! But please try to post your flight record data to be able for everyone here to see more objectively what happened to your AC. Sometimes your evident emotions prevent from clear understanding the details of the uncontrolled situation
2018-8-12
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_vV0tB85opphs Posted at 2018-8-11 21:21
Hi there,

After sending in my flight data and proof of purchase, etc. I got the good news that a new Spark was dispatched. The compass error triggered the replacement. Thank you DJI! Hopefully, the new compass system is more reliable...

Congratulations. Well done @ DJISupport.
2018-8-12
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

It's so scary when your drone flies off..   I had the same issue but after a few minutes I regained control.   Glad DJI are sending you a replacement.   
2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_vV0tB85opphs Posted at 2018-8-11 21:21
Hi there,

Hi, do you have the case number (CAS) so I  could help you double check the status of your case? We're here to help you. Thank you.
2018-8-12
Use props
fans34ee8814
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah same happened to me disconnecting,app blocked,cancelled the landing,it flew in a direction and gone somewhere the flight record finished at 17 m altitude probably 100m away and i was with the RC .happened straightaway after doin the firmware update.and the case outcome was misoperation please help me guys that is the post

https://forum.dji.com/thread-161299-1-1.html?mobile=2
2018-8-12
Use props
fans34ee8814
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United Kingdom

fansb8f59e17 Posted at 2018-7-28 06:39
Just normal flight. Started, waited for GPS and then the Spark went crazy!
[view_image]

Looks the same as your flight but dji telling me it was responding well.and its misoperation...
948769D0-8019-47DE-9314-17AC4DF07541.jpeg
2018-8-12
Use props
fansb8f59e17
lvl.1
Sweden

If there is anyone from DJI support, can you please check in to my case.
Haven't heard anything.
If there is something missing.

Here is the case number: CAS-2067402-C0Q3L6

//T
2018-8-14
Use props
fansb8f59e17
lvl.1
Sweden

Update on this case.
I got this answer from DJI support:
"The unfortunate incident that occurred to your aircraft has been confirmed as a warranty case according to our data analysis"

So they gave me a new one. Thank you DJI Support for that.
Good company!

Case closed.

//Tapio
2018-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules