Sports mode, propellers in shot often.
2057 38 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 761519 ft
New Zealand

Might be a dumb question or topic to bring up, but half the time when flying sports mode the propellers come into shot, is this just the fact of flying fast which forces the drone to angle down. So uness I tilt down the gimbal and change my shot, they propellers will be in shot? Just thought id bring this up. See what people think about it.
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send a sample picture?
2018-7-29
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

If you look at the aircraft as it flies past at full speed in sports more then it is obvious why the propellers are in the image and it is obvious that there is no solution...

Other than to fly backwards while filming

Or you can make the props a feature of your video.
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-29 02:34

Sure not a problem, here are a couple examples, hard to see as a photo compared to the video, but you can get the idea, ive drawn under where they are.
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-7-29 02:41
If you look at the aircraft as it flies past at full speed in sports more then it is obvious why the propellers are in the image and it is obvious that there is no solution...

Other than to fly backwards while filming

I figured there was no real solution as you're right, when I see it flying in full speed it dips forwards naturally. Thought I'd ask anyway, Since flying a drone and seeing this forum it feels like one big family which I love!
2018-7-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

To expound on Nigel's comment, I think one of the techniques to deal with this problem is to take the shot flying backwards.  Then during editing you can show that particular scene in reverse.  Good luck.  
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

It was such a stupid topic to start since I knew the problem and why it happened anyway, but thought id see other peoples thoughts. Going backwards is a great idea and if its a shot with no cars or people in the shot, which in most cases it isn't, then it would work perfectly, so thank you
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 02:44
Sure not a problem, here are a couple examples, hard to see as a photo compared to the video, but you can get the idea, ive drawn under where they are. [view_image] [view_image]

Yes, that's normal.
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

All good
2018-7-29
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 02:48
I figured there was no real solution as you're right, when I see it flying in full speed it dips forwards naturally. Thought I'd ask anyway, Since flying a drone and seeing this forum it feels like one big family which I love!

If you add some drone noise to the video then having the props in the image seems natural and in some ways improves the video, after all if you are moving fast then it is obvious that the camera is mounted on some sort of vehicle, and the props are only there if you are moving fast.

Watching TV programs, even expensive ones like David Attenborough's documentaries, or the World Rally Championship that uses DJI drones and helicopters, for helicopter sequences they normally add helicopter noise and for drone sequences they normally add drone noise.  Clearly they don't need to include the noise, they do it to improve the video and I guess it is often pre-recorded rather than the actual noise.
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

I have also been getting this the last hour, after several attempts. Any idea what this means?
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 03:09
I have also been getting this the last hour, after several attempts. Any idea what this means? [view_image]

Can you provide me the firmware version you have for the aircraft, remote and app?
2018-7-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Absolutely correct :-)

Most video work wouldn't be done in sports mode as the controls are too responsive for smooth shots. But you can do a nice shot flying backwards at full tilt

Edit:- Oooops I only saw your first post.....
2018-7-29
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 02:54
It was such a stupid topic to start since I knew the problem and why it happened anyway, but thought id see other peoples thoughts. Going backwards is a great idea and if its a shot with no cars or people in the shot, which in most cases it isn't, then it would work perfectly, so thank you

Even with vehicles in the shot, going backwards can work.  In this video I start off backwards then turn around, for a few seconds the props do get in the shot as I accelerate forwards in sports mode, but I masked that out with video from another camera, then return to sports mode after accelerating. I think I was at full throttle forward at that point but because it was no longer accelerating and the camera is looking down a bit, and maybe I zoomed in a little in the editor, the props do not appear in the final video.  The real trick was to time the acceleration to be in the bit I could mask out with the other camera.

And in reply to Aardvark's post, you can turn down the Exp setting for sports mode so that it almost matches normal mode for controlability.

2018-7-29
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

First of all, there are no dumb questions. You can always do a search, and see if the topic has been brought up before. For prop shots, I like to put it in my videos I do at the end, and say Smokey Bair Productions with prop view for a second. As for the backwards and up. I love to use this effect. Start my videos that way. You can look at all of my music videos on YouTube by searching for my name Kirk Bair
2018-7-29
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

There are no stupid questions in this forum. You can always do a search for a topic, to check if was discuss before. On prop view. I like the effect for a second or two. But after that it can be distracting. I use it at the end of video sometimes. The backwards and up, is one of my favorite effects. I use it a lot. Go tou YouTube and do a search for Kirk Bairfor my music videos. There’s 10 videos from being a rookie (Taffy the Movie) to my latest  and home town video ( Watching the River Flow)  enjoy and let’s GO FLY
2018-7-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

is this just the fact of flying fast which forces the drone to angle down.
This isn't a case of flying fast forcing the nose down.
The Phantom flies forward by tilting nose down, tail up.
The more it tilts, the faster it flies.
Sport mode tilts further and flies faster.
2018-7-29
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-29 02:34

It is not an "inconvenience" . It is normal at a certain speed, where the tilt forward of the drone to achieve that speed  and the gimbal is set to horizontal...
2018-7-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Tilt the camera slightly down, out of front element view when the drone tilts at higher speeds.

Or fly backwards.... ha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-29 03:32
Can you provide me the firmware version you have for the aircraft, remote and app?

Version is currently V0.2.6.2  I don't use the app cause the controller comes with a screen.
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-7-29 03:48
Even with vehicles in the shot, going backwards can work.  In this video I start off backwards then turn around, for a few seconds the props do get in the shot as I accelerate forwards in sports mode, but I masked that out with video from another camera, then return to sports mode after accelerating. I think I was at full throttle forward at that point but because it was no longer accelerating and the camera is looking down a bit, and maybe I zoomed in a little in the editor, the props do not appear in the final video.  The real trick was to time the acceleration to be in the bit I could mask out with the other camera.

And in reply to Aardvark's post, you can turn down the Exp setting for sports mode so that it almost matches normal mode for controlability.

Ah yes, I think my problem was when I was in sports mode I was tilting up a little to get mountains in shot that were really high. Just grabbed a couple more shots for this job, no props in shot at all in sports mode as I was high up with camera tilted down more. By the way love those ideas I'll definitely give them a go.
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-7-29 08:14
It is not an "inconvenience" . It is normal at a certain speed, where the tilt forward of the drone to achieve that speed  and the gimbal is set to horizontal...

Absolutely, She was being very polite
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-29 13:37
Tilt the camera slightly down, out of front element view when the drone tilts at higher speeds.

Or fly backwards.... ha

Yes thats what I have to do. The reason I had the problem was due to the fact I was tilting up a little to get large mountains in shot. So lesson learnt
2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-29 03:32

2018-7-29
Use props
AnthonyDJIpilot
lvl.3
New Zealand

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-29 03:37
Absolutely correct :-)

Most video work wouldn't be done in sports mode as the controls are too responsive for smooth shots. But you can do a nice shot flying backwards at full tilt

What I find too responsive even in P mode is the turning left to right. Which turns drown and camera, its so so responsive.. Need to try and turn this down a bit, will have a look through the settings.
2018-7-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 16:10
Yes thats what I have to do. The reason I had the problem was due to the fact I was tilting up a little to get large mountains in shot. So lesson learnt

Slow done, or pause for those terrific areas of particular interest. ;-)

Have you hugged your drone today? Do it now...  haha

Just give it a friendly pat. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-7-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 16:18
What I find too responsive even in P mode is the turning left to right. Which turns drown and camera, its so so responsive.. Need to try and turn this down a bit, will have a look through the settings.

Aloha Anthony,

The setting is EXP or EXPO.  It is a graph set for all directional movement.  These settings are the best option you will have to smooth out and control your Phantom or any other DJI aircraft.  I even use Sport Mode to land on our 17 X 17 inch landing table because it turns off the obstacle avoidance and actually allows you to land.  Otherwise, landing is an intense controlled crash avoidance test every time.

There are many nice tools in the DJI tool bag.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-29
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 16:18

P mode is the best in my opinion. You can adjust controls for your liking. But I fly full and have learned to feather controls and gimbal. Also I shoot just  15-30 second video. The you can slice all different angles together during editing. I found that you need 1-2 hrs of footage for a 4-5 minute video.    PEACE and GO FLY
2018-7-29
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
New Zealand

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-29 16:44
Slow done, or pause for those terrific areas of particular interest. ;-)

Haha I haven't hugged my drone yet but will do . Reason why I didn't want to slow down was cause I was going over a mountain revealing a larger one so was getting some nice parallax in my shot. Prob could have gone slower and sped it up in post though, was being too adventurous haha
2018-7-29
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2018-7-29 17:15
Aloha Anthony,

The setting is EXP or EXPO.  It is a graph set for all directional movement.  These settings are the best option you will have to smooth out and control your Phantom or any other DJI aircraft.  I even use Sport Mode to land on our 17 X 17 inch landing table because it turns off the obstacle avoidance and actually allows you to land.  Otherwise, landing is an intense controlled crash avoidance test every time.

Ha, I understand that. Sometimes landing with those sensors is too much. I will give those settings a go though, smoothie out the controls
2018-7-29
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2018-7-29 17:15
Aloha Anthony,

The setting is EXP or EXPO.  It is a graph set for all directional movement.  These settings are the best option you will have to smooth out and control your Phantom or any other DJI aircraft.  I even use Sport Mode to land on our 17 X 17 inch landing table because it turns off the obstacle avoidance and actually allows you to land.  Otherwise, landing is an intense controlled crash avoidance test every time.

So im in EXP, and it says Normal. Then has Throttle up/Down -    Rotate Right/Left.    -  Then forward right / backward left.  What I want to change is rotate right and left?   I don't want to change any of the flying controls just the one that turns the drone and camera at the same time. Thats too touchy.
2018-7-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-7-29 19:15
Haha I haven't hugged my drone yet but will do . Reason why I didn't want to slow down was cause I was going over a mountain revealing a larger one so was getting some nice parallax in my shot. Prob could have gone slower and sped it up in post though, was being too adventurous haha

Yeah, show her some love...  ha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-7-29 19:26
So im in EXP, and it says Normal. Then has Throttle up/Down -    Rotate Right/Left.    -  Then forward right / backward left.  What I want to change is rotate right and left?   I don't want to change any of the flying controls just the one that turns the drone and camera at the same time. Thats too touchy.

Aloha Anthony,

Yes, you want to adjust "Rotate Right / Left".  That is also known as "YAW".  Later, you might find that you want to adjust all of them for a really smooth experience.  If you flip the "A-S-P" toggle to the "S" position, you can adjust the sensitivity of the "Sport" Mode.  This EXP (EXPO) adjustment will be one of your favorites.

Move the sticks and see what happens.  The dot on the graph is the final action taken by the Phantom.  You may also want to enable and adjust "Yaw Point End" aka "Yaw Movement Limit" : This controls the speed of the yaw. The higher the value the faster your aircraft will yaw (turn).

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-29
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2018-7-29 23:09
Aloha Anthony,

Yes, you want to adjust "Rotate Right / Left".  That is also known as "YAW".  Later, you might find that you want to adjust all of them for a really smooth experience.  If you flip the "A-S-P" toggle to the "S" position, you can adjust the sensitivity of the "Sport" Mode.  This EXP (EXPO) adjustment will be one of your favorites.

Thank you so much, I have had a play with this and its awesome, So much smoother. Just to confirm, I can make these changes while in the air? So I can test, change, test, etc ?
2018-7-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-7-29 19:26
So im in EXP, and it says Normal. Then has Throttle up/Down -    Rotate Right/Left.    -  Then forward right / backward left.  What I want to change is rotate right and left?   I don't want to change any of the flying controls just the one that turns the drone and camera at the same time. Thats too touchy.

If you're confident and high enough you can disable Object Avoidance, the aircraft will then travel faster in P-mode.
2018-7-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-7-29 23:12
Thank you so much, I have had a play with this and its awesome, So much smoother. Just to confirm, I can make these changes while in the air? So I can test, change, test, etc ?

Aloha Anthony,

Yes, but some will argue that it is not wise to do so.  Look at the dot on the graph as you move the sticks, after changing the numbers, and think that the dot is the effect on the drone.  How easy is it to move the drone?  Then take off and see what the difference is.  

The "Yaw End Point" / "Yaw Movement Limit" Slider is also very helpful in that it limits the speed of the turns.  You may find this setting very useful.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-29
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
New Zealand

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-29 23:14
If you're confident and high enough you can disable Object Avoidance, the aircraft will then travel faster in P-mode.

Wow thank you, I did not know that, Appreciate that info
2018-7-29
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

AnthonyDJIpilot Posted at 2018-7-29 16:09
Absolutely, She was being very polite

Yes, I think you are absolutely right
2018-7-30
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

Just another 2 cents worth. I know it’s cool to GO FLY in sport mode, flying the fastest. It does make some good effects. But wait til you hit a tree you didn’t see, or powerline. So what I do for that speed effect, is fly p mode and slow, making sure not to hit anything. Shoot twice as much footage, and be steady as you can. Then when you put together your video , you speed up the footage to 2X or 3x. You get the same effect as flying fast. And it’s safer. PEACE
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules