2924 40 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Twoscoops
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34432 ft
United Kingdom

Hello,

Has anyone had the same issue we had last night?

We were flying our Spark last night as normal close to home where we often fly, we did all the pre-flight checks got 11 sats etc and all looked fine.  It took off as normal we were about 40m up for a minute or so then we got a compass error message, we tried the RTH function but the drone did not respond, instead it started climbing to 84m then flew off never to be seen again.

This was my 12 YO son’s birthday present and he is devastated. We have had it for about a month and haven’t had any problems before and have even flown it in Spain.  I was so impressed with the Spark I was going to buy a Mavic Pro but I’m nervous now in case a drone worth over a grand does the same.

BTW the drone was in sight all the time during this flight and I have the log if that helps anyone to identify the reasons for this error.

I would like to talk to DJI about this as it’s was clearly an error with the drone, has anyone on here had any luck getting replacements from DJI?
2018-7-29
Use props
Alexey Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Sorry for your loss, i know how you feel. I lost my first spark about a month and a half ago over some woods during veeery strong winds at night.(my mistake)
Dont worry, if its the drones fault like firmware error then dji will replace your drone.
2018-7-29
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Sorry for loosing the Spark. The compass error seems to be common issue with 'fly away' drones. Did you had the RC and if so did you try to manually fly it back?
2018-7-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

During the Compass Error, the Drone usually drops to ATTI Mode and drifts away unless you force it to land manually. Without GPS in ATTI Mode the RTH is useless, wont work. You need to bring it back Manually. Contact DJI Support maybe they can help if it was the Spark's Error. Send them your flight log.
2018-7-29
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies.  I tried to fly the drone back as I could still see it but it was unresponsive.
2018-7-29
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

We were using the RC control not a phone BTW.
2018-7-29
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer

Twoscoops Posted at 2018-7-29 05:57
Thanks for your replies.  I tried to fly the drone back as I could still see it but it was unresponsive.

Hi,
Did you lose video and radio signals as well?
2018-7-29
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Yes, shortly after the compass error message. The RC light turned red and there was nothing I could do.
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Spark. Since this issue happened please contact DJI Support at support@dji.com for further help on this issue. Please sync the flight records as well using your DJI Go 4 application for further analysis.
2018-7-29
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer

Twoscoops Posted at 2018-7-29 06:30
Yes, shortly after the compass error message. The RC light turned red and there was nothing I could do.

Once again, very sorry. You lost full contact with the Spark, and yes you couldn't do anything about it!
I hope for you that DJI will replace your drone at NO cost for you. Also, this situation of 'fly away' without cause is very worrisome for Spark owners.
S.
2018-7-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Upload the flightlog and post the link
There are some guys here, who love to extract all the info out of it
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-7-29
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-29 05:15
During the Compass Error, the Drone usually drops to ATTI Mode and drifts away unless you force it to land manually. Without GPS in ATTI Mode the RTH is useless, wont work. You need to bring it back Manually. Contact DJI Support maybe they can help if it was the Spark's Error. Send them your flight log.

this is good to know. A lot of pilots don't know this and during comps error & drop to attitude mode they make this critical error. the spark ( and any drone ) will tend to lift with any wind.. This is usually the reason for the fly off. at ground level the winds are calm and at 300 feet it could be much stronger..I would recommend all pilots to use this web site if they can it also functions on your mobil so you can check winds before you fly.
Earth wind at different layers.
2018-7-29
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Sorry to hear about this. Let’s hope you can get the replacement soon.
2018-7-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-7-29 07:53
this is good to know. A lot of pilots don't know this and during comps error & drop to attitude mode they make this critical error. the spark ( and any drone ) will tend to lift with any wind.. This is usually the reason for the fly off. at ground level the winds are calm and at 300 feet it could be much stronger..I would recommend all pilots to use this web site if they can it also functions on your mobil so you can check winds before you fly.
Earth wind at different layers.

Excellent Comment, Yes the Wind Gusts are far stronger at Higher Altitudes.

Re Compass Errors / ATTI Modes, I did a Small Post in Beginning of June to maybe help People understand more the Problem. I don't blame New Pilots not knowing exactly what is happening during ATTI Mode, thats why it is important to know your Drone Inside Out before you Fly.

Here is the Post, maybe it can help someone - https://forum.dji.com/thread-151297-1-1.html

2018-7-29
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

If there is a compass error you should not try RTH. Compass error may indicate that Spark does not know where home is. Of course, if you are in ATTI mode, RTH will have no effect anyway.

If you post your flight record as requested in post #11, we may be able to verify what happened.

2018-7-29
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

marlowe Posted at 2018-7-29 21:29
If there is a compass error you should not try RTH. Compass error may indicate that Spark does not know where home is. Of course, if you are in ATTI mode, RTH will have no effect anyway.

If you post your flight record as requested in post #11, we may be able to verify what happened.

Hi, I had no control, the Spark sent a compass error message and I was unable to fly it.  It was in my line of site but unresponsive.   This is the first time we have had any issues.
2018-7-30
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Twoscoops Posted at 2018-7-30 03:46
Hi, I had no control, the Spark sent a compass error message and I was unable to fly it.  It was in my line of site but unresponsive.   This is the first time we have had any issues.

But the lack of control happened after you tried RTH though, correct?  I'm wondering, once a compass error happens the Spark will not know which way Home is but if it's still trying to follow the RTH command perhaps that's why it becomes unresponsive to the user's controls?  That seems to be a somewhat common theme in these flyaway stories, to the point that I don't think I'll ever use RTH unless I know I'm fully in command of the bird and it's not showing any errors.  I rarely use RTH anyway but all these stories make me pretty hesitant to ever use it.
2018-7-30
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

No, I lost contact first then tried the RTH button as I guess panic set it.  I watched it go out of control, it was in a straight line with me, at time of lost contact I had 20 sats. But still I add weak GPS signal message. The RTH function worked flawlessly on previous flights and I think it is a great feature, especially as it can climb to a preset altitude first.
2018-7-30
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft

@Twoscoops, sharing your flight data here could help us all learn what went wrong with this flight. It might also give an indication on where to search for the missing Spark.

I had a flyaway incident with my Spark about a year ago and DJI repaired it under warranty. It’s been perfect ever since.

2018-7-30
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-7-30 20:09
You cannot depend on RTH when you have a compass error as a successful RTH requires Home Lock as well as both GPS signal & a valid compass heading.  If you ever receive a compass error in flight you should IMMEDIATELY pilot the drone back MANUALLY & LAND.  Power off the aircraft then move it to a different location before restarting.  The compass error after liftoff usually happens when you have launched from an area with a magnetic anomaly like concrete, a bridge, or a pier with ferrous metal structural components.  Lifting off from such an area will generally exhibit the compass error shorty after take off.

Yes I know, but I had no control over the Drone, I was watching it fly off my it’s self so the RTH button press was a last ditch attempt.   Thanks for pointing out the issues with metal structures but I’m well aware of the issues that these can cause. So I’m always careful where I fly.  
2018-7-31
Use props
djiuser_tSJibUk5GbRD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67841 ft
Netherlands

I am sorry for your loss
2018-7-31
Use props
djiuser_tSJibUk5GbRD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67841 ft
Netherlands

Did you calibrate the compass before this fatal flight?
2018-7-31
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Sorry for your loss and the devastation your son is feeling.  Hope someone here can help you analyze your flight log and help you find it.
2018-7-31
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-7-30 20:09
You cannot depend on RTH when you have a compass error as a successful RTH requires Home Lock as well as both GPS signal & a valid compass heading.  If you ever receive a compass error in flight you should IMMEDIATELY pilot the drone back MANUALLY & LAND.  Power off the aircraft then move it to a different location before restarting.  The compass error after liftoff usually happens when you have launched from an area with a magnetic anomaly like concrete, a bridge, or a pier with ferrous metal structural components.  Lifting off from such an area will generally exhibit the compass error shorty after take off.

I am pretty sure that new drone pilots can't pilot the aircraft back manually and land.  They can fly because the autopilot flies for them.  When the autopilot is offline, they claim they had no control over the drone.  Just like new pilots claim when they crash a RC model airplane.  No control mostly from cross controlling an aircraft coming towards them or just stabbing the RTH button repeatedly.  

My Spark can't go to ATTI mode on command but I would like to see a video with a newbie flying a quadcopter that suddenly was placed into ATTI mode without warning.  Or into RATE mode.

GPS mode = "I'm a pilot."
ATTI mode = "It isn't responding to the controls."
RATE mode = "It is trying to kill itself.  Run away!"

Spark return 5.gif
2018-7-31
Use props
N2QLT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29229 ft
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-29 07:07
Upload the flightlog and post the link
There are some guys here, who love to extract all the info out of it

Would he be able to get a flight log if he was flying with the remote only and with no device attached?
2018-7-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

nope, but "we did all the pre-flight checks got 11 sats etc and all looked fine."
2018-7-31
Use props
N2QLT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29229 ft
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-31 10:23
nope, but "we did all the pre-flight checks got 11 sats etc and all looked fine."

So I'm guessing it's probably a BAD idea to fly without a connected device......
2018-7-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

N2QLT Posted at 2018-7-31 10:27
So I'm guessing it's probably a BAD idea to fly without a connected device......

Oh, you talking about your new baby!

Without a device, the RC is limited to 50meters and I think to 30m height.
So you can see it, fly it from hand in case it attis.
And wait for the green lights (HP recorded, I guess), it could even RTH
2018-7-31
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-31 08:57
I am pretty sure that new drone pilots can't pilot the aircraft back manually and land.  They can fly because the autopilot flies for them.  When the autopilot is offline, they claim they had no control over the drone.  Just like new pilots claim when they crash a RC model airplane.  No control mostly from cross controlling an aircraft coming towards them or just stabbing the RTH button repeatedly.  

My Spark can't go to ATTI mode on command but I would like to see a video with a newbie flying a quadcopter that suddenly was placed into ATTI mode without warning.  Or into RATE mode.

Hello Gunship9, thanks for your comments although sometimes forums benefit from people like yourself  not posting their thoughts.  I’m not sure what you gain from trying to dis-credit normal users when a fault happens with an expensive drone.   How do you know what experience myself or any others users of this forum have just because they are new to DJI and this forum.   Some people aren’t about explaining themselves on forums they are just using them as the tool in which they are intended.
2018-7-31
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-31 08:57

My Spark can't go to ATTI mode on command but I would like to see a video with a newbie flying a quadcopter that suddenly was placed into ATTI mode without warning.  Or into RATE mode.

Hello Gunship9, thanks for your comments although sometimes forums benefit from people like yourself  not posting their thoughts.  I’m not sure what you gain from trying to dis-credit normal users when a fault happens with an expensive drone.   How do you know what experience myself or any others users of this forum have just because they are new to DJI and this forum.   Some people aren’t about explaining themselves on forums they are just using them as the tool in which they are intended.
2018-7-31
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Twoscoops Posted at 2018-7-31 11:52

I take your point that new drone owners can manually guide the drone back to themselves in ATTI mode.  I made my statement based on posts here where the owner of the lost drone eventually stated that he meant the RTH function didn't respond and that he never used the sticks.  And, based on their uploading the DJI log where you can see the drone follow their commands while the owner states it didn't.  They still managed to fly the drone away from themselves until it was lost even with full control.

Is your statement just an ad hominen attack on my character rather than my points?  Do you have a data set from a Spark log that shows the Spark not following the control stick inputs once in ATTI mode?  An instance of(compass error causes the drone to stop following pilot stick commands?

It always follows the stick commands from the pilot and new owners should know this.  And they should know that it is hard to fly in ATTI mode because all control is on them.  A cheap toy drone with no GPS stabilization should be used to improve their skills.

Crashing and losing expensive RC aircraft is part of the RC model hobby.  Especially true for new owners.  There is no way around this.
2018-7-31
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

Twoscoops Posted at 2018-7-31 11:52
Hello Gunship9, thanks for your comments although sometimes forums benefit from people like yourself  not posting their thoughts.  I’m not sure what you gain from trying to dis-credit normal users when a fault happens with an expensive drone.   How do you know what experience myself or any others users of this forum have just because they are new to DJI and this forum.   Some people aren’t about explaining themselves on forums they are just using them as the tool in which they are intended.

You have ignored several requests to upload your flight record - we then may be able to tell if your Spark was or was not responsive to your attempts to control it. Why do you not do this?
2018-7-31
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft

marlowe Posted at 2018-7-31 20:07
You have ignored several requests to upload your flight record - we then may be able to tell if your Spark was or was not responsive to your attempts to control it. Why do you not do this?

This. And posting a flight record also helps the community learn more about Spark's behavior in different situations.
2018-7-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

2018-7-31
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Also request you state your app version,firmware version and what kind of phone are you using with or without OTG cable.
2018-8-1
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

He looks a bit strange to me, not answering adequately on numerous requests to post flight record here
2018-8-1
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI are replacing our Spark as it was not pilot error.  Great service from DJI thank you.  Just ordering a Mavic now.
2018-8-3
Use props
landude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126407 ft

United States

My question is how did they get a compass error with no device connected? And a  sat count?
Did the RC speak it?
2018-8-3
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

so he posts about loosing his spark and then doesn't respond to numerous request for his flight log, then he eventually responds, with DJI is replacing his spark with a Mavic.

WOW ,,, Just WOW
2018-8-3
Use props
Twoscoops
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-8-3 08:18
so he posts about loosing his spark and then doesn't respond to numerous request for his flight log, then he eventually responds, with DJI is replacing his spark with a Mavic.

WOW ,,, Just WOW

Hi Sparky_17.  I didn’t want to post my flight logs on any old site as I wanted DJI to review them first thats all.    Their customer service has been very good so that’s why I still going to get a Mavic as I had planned to anyway.
2018-8-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules