Phantom 2v+ doesn't see controler after repair
1476 11 2015-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nekonny
New

United States

After replacing the camera on my 2V+, I was unable to get a response from the quad when trying to start up the motors via the RC

RC assistant software shows the controller is working just fine, but I get the following on the phantom 2 assistant:

the controller sticks are stuck to 1000.

Something is causing the phantom to be reading the input wrong. Any suggestions on how I can reset/fix this?

Sequence of events:

Had a crash for unknown reasons (wasn't being observed when it went down, but there were no obstacles in area).
Observed damaged camera, shell and one engine.
Replaced shell and engine
Tested flight ok
Replaced camera
Tested Camera; connects and transmits video
No response from unit when trying to activate engines
Unplugged camera,
No response from unit when trying to activate engines
Reconnected camera
Ran phantom 2 assistant software; saw screen shown above (control stick reading 1000 on all for variables)
Ran RC assistant software; Control sticks shown as operating normally
Pressed reset button located on shell of phantom body, turned on controller
No changes in both assistant software

So in the end, the phantom is getting a reading of 1000 from the controller, but the controller seems to be working just fine. As I was able to test fly it before adding the new camera, I know it was working at some point after the body repair and engine replacement.

Would anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Is the button on the bottom of the Phantom lit green when the Phantom and RC are powered on?
2015-5-23
Use props
nekonny
New

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-24 06:44
Is the button on the bottom of the Phantom lit green when the Phantom and RC are powered on?

I swear that when I started to troubleshoot it I did see it light up yellow, but right now where is no color coming from it regardless of on/off state of controller, or if the button is being pushed down or not.
2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

According to the manual, with power to the Phantom and RC, you should hold the button in on the bottom of the Phantom and release it once it starts blinking.. Then it should turn green meaning the RC and Phantom are linked.
2015-5-23
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Be sure you have the props off. Turn Phantom over and leave the RC in the off position. The power up the Phantom. Push the button on the bottom and hold for about  7 seconds, release and turn on RC . They should bind. Then connect to the assistant and do the calibration. See if it centers then. If not do the manual RC calibration. You can do a search on calibration and find it. Between the two you should get back up and running. Also try another USB cable.
2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

2015-5-23
Use props
nekonny
New

United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-24 09:20
Be sure you have the props off. Turn Phantom over and leave the RC in the off position. The power up ...

• Turned on the phantom and got the regular bootup light sequence followed by yellow blinking LEDs. Reset button blinks red.
  • If I turned the controler on at this point, red reset blinking stops, however but yellow LEDs continue to blink.
  • If controler is left off and I press and hold reset for 7 seconds it becomes solid red, however turning on the controler at that point still leaves the reset at solid red (main yellow LEDs continue to blink).
  • Once reset is solid red, pressing the reset again has no effect.
  • Powering down the phantom and turning it back on caused the red reset light to vanish, however main yellow LEDs continue to blink.
  • After powering down, pressing the reset button for any length of time has no effect.
  • At no point would  the engines power up.

@ Raybo: I can access the controller via the RC system assistant software and calibrate it that way, its only when trying running the regular phantom assistant that it shows the wierd inputs from the controller. I'm more and more convinced this is a binding problem between the controler and the quad, but I have no idea how to fix.
2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

nekonny Posted at 2015-5-24 10:26Turned on the phantom and got the regular bootup light sequence followed by yellow blinking LED ...

The link LED should be green if it is linked with the RC and you should not see yellow Phantom LEDs. I wonder if that button on the Phantom is getting stuck? Did you have to open up the Phantom to replace the camera?
2015-5-24
Use props
nekonny
New

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-24 21:20
The link LED should be green if it is linked with the RC and you should not see yellow Phantom LEDs ...

I had to dismantle the phantom to replace the broken shell and engine. But I did various successful engine tests and even flew it once immediately after that phase of the repair.

At that point I simply left it aside until I got the new camera about a week later. I installed it right away, not having a reason to suspect that something else might have changed, and began experiencing the issue as soon as I tried to test fly it.

Experiment conducted this morning:

• Powered phantom on; Bootup lights, followed by yellow LEDs in phantom and rapidly blinking red reset light.
  • Powered on controller; Reset light goes off, yellow LEDs continue to blink
  • Moved sticks on controler; reset lights blink rapidly red a few times, LEDs on phantom go solid red.
  • Pushed reset button for a few seconds; reset button starts blinking yellow
  • Powered controler off and on once; Reset light goes off, yellow LEDs go back to blinking yellow.
  • Powered controler off; Red reset light begins blinking again. Yellow LEDs continue.
  • Powered controler on; reset light goes off but yellow LEDs continue on phantom and there is no response to controller input

Based on this, I get a feeling that the phantom is seeing my controler, but it doesn't like something about it to the point that it's not completing a sucessful bind. Not sure how/if the connection of a new camera would have caused this.

2015-5-24
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

With the Phantom connected to the assistant software is there any kind of error reported? Might also disconnect the camera to eliminate that as a possibility. Any chance a camera cable is connected backwards? I know there are some cables that are not keyed and can be flipped the wrong way.
2015-5-24
Use props
nekonny
New

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-24 23:01
With the Phantom connected to the assistant software is there any kind of error reported? Might also ...

As you might be able to make out in the lower right corner of the assistant screenshot, there is a yellow caution warning light that blinks. I'm not sure what it represents as there is no accompanying text, neither is it click-able.

I disconnected the camera; results as follows:

• Powered on phantom, LED bootup sequence followed by yellow blinking LEDs. Reset button slow blinks red (as opposed to fast blink red with camera connected).
  • Press and hold reset button causes it to blink yellow.
  • Turning on controller at this point causes reset button to go dark; phantom LEDs continue to blink yellow throughout.
  • No response from engines at any point.

I doubt the connectors are on backwards; there is no sign of twisting of the wires; they seem to go on through right to the board.

Thanks!

2015-5-24
Use props
nekonny
New

United States

End result; I sent in the unit.  Ive spent enough on it that hopefully the additional labor costs won't seem that bad.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out!
2015-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules